Dresden Files!

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Dresden Files!

Post by lance » Jan 25th 2006, 11:37 pm

:shock:

Talk about birthday gifts (notice the subtle birthday plug) Sci fi channel is going to be premiering the Dresden Files next summer. You can read more about it here:

http://www.scifi.com/dresdenfiles/

Based on a tremendous series of outstanding books I am really looking forward to this. Please let not be like Sci Fi's other series Mansquito, Magma and Tremors XII.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 30th 2006, 5:41 pm

Hey,

Apparently Sci Fi has already ordered 11 episodes to follow the pilot. Nicholas Cage is producing and is a big fan. More news to follow.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 12th 2006, 3:02 pm

Ack!

Not actually going to air until January 2007.

Oh well gives me another reason to look forward to January.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 10th 2006, 12:35 pm

Last Friday's Galactica season premier had a preview of the Dresden Files.

See:

http://www.scifi.com/dresden/cast/

For the preview.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings but the fact that Jim Butcher endorses it reassures me.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 14th 2007, 9:59 pm

A week away and the series looks like it will be pretty good.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 25th 2007, 10:49 am

I finally watched the pilot episode last night. It's an interesting show, but not a "must-see" event like Galactica, at least not yet. The story was okay, some nice characters, but something's missing IMHO. Also, for viewers like me who aren't familiar with the book series, it was a bit complicated to understand the relations between the characters and their backgrounds. And maybe it tries too much to be attractive to non-SciFi-Geeks, which could backfire.

It certainly pales in comparison with the other SciFi-miniseries "The Lost Room", which was really fascinating.

Ah well, I'll give "Dresden" some time, maybe it grows.

BTW, the "Galactica" ratings dropped from 2.1 million last January to 1.8 million on its new timeslot on Sunday.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 31st 2007, 10:41 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:I finally watched the pilot episode last night. It's an interesting show, but not a "must-see" event like Galactica, at least not yet. The story was okay, some nice characters, but something's missing IMHO. Also, for viewers like me who aren't familiar with the book series, it was a bit complicated to understand the relations between the characters and their backgrounds. And maybe it tries too much to be attractive to non-SciFi-Geeks, which could backfire.

It certainly pales in comparison with the other SciFi-miniseries "The Lost Room", which was really fascinating.

Ah well, I'll give "Dresden" some time, maybe it grows.

BTW, the "Galactica" ratings dropped from 2.1 million last January to 1.8 million on its new timeslot on Sunday.
Sascha,

Did you actually see the pilot or where you watching the US Feed?

Because here in the US they are showing the episodes out of order. Can anyone say "Firefly"? We haven't gotten to see the pilot first. In fact the first episode they showed "Birds of a Feather" on Sci Fi Channel was actually about halfway through the season arc.

As someone who has read the books I was a bit disappointed with the first episode. But I will give it sometime and maybe (gasp!) one day get to see the show in order.

Others who have not read the books have commented that they feel it is like a poor man's Buffy or Angel.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 31st 2007, 10:42 pm

As to ratings,

Galatica and Dresden Files premiers were up against the rather exciting AFC Championship game here in the US and so the ratings were indeed weak. I heard last Sunday's ratings were better.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 1st 2007, 6:26 am

lance wrote:Did you actually see the pilot or where you watching the US Feed?

Because here in the US they are showing the episodes out of order. Can anyone say "Firefly"? We haven't gotten to see the pilot first. In fact the first episode they showed "Birds of a Feather" on Sci Fi Channel was actually about halfway through the season arc.
Ah, that would explain a few things. Indeed, I saw the episode SciFi had aired (and I just assumed it was the pilot episode). That's really not a good sign if the network decides to screw up the episode order. At least that explains why there's almost no character introduction in the "first" episode.

But the "second" episode wasn't much better either. It was a bit bleak and I noticed that I just don't care for any of the characters. At least there were a few interesting story turns. And I guess this one was also way out of the intended order since there seemed to be kind of a previously established releationship between Dresden and the female cop.

Right now, "Medium" on NBC does this whole "mystery meets crime procedural"-thingy way better, especially because they invest more in the characters (the kids on that show are adorable). Even the incredible boring "Ghost Whisperer" is probably more attractive (literally ;-)) to the target demographic.

Anyway, I'll give "Dresden" one or two more chances, but if it doesn't catch on soon, I'll stop. I just have too many other shows on my "watch list" :-).