Bewitched

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Bewitched

Post by Sascha » Jul 6th 2005, 4:39 am

No, not the movie. I just bought the DVD set of the first season of the classic TV show "Bewitched" (one of my favorite shows of my childhood) and I fell in love with it all over again. What a nice show! It's like a trip down memory lane. Finally I get to see all episodes in the correct order and in the original version. I'm amazed how well written that show was.

Elizabeth Montgomery as witch and nosetwitching housewife Samantha Stephens was an amazing actress ... and not to forget the "original" Darrin: Dick York.

I really recommend this DVD set to everyone who loved the tv show. The bonus stuff is nothing exciting (two featurettes with interviews), but having all 36(!) episodes of the first season in one neat package (four DVDs in two slimcases) is worth the money. The set is available in two editions: original black&white (recommended) and the colorized version. Sound and picture quality are excellent considering that the source material is more than forty years old.

And you really get something for your money: Back in 1964, a so-called "half hour" comedy actually deserved its name. Each one of the 36 episodes has a runtime of more than 25 minutes. (Some of todays comedies don't run longer than 19 minutes)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 31st 2005, 1:10 pm

Just for completeness sake: The movie "Bewitched" starring Nicole Kidman sucks big time. One of the worst films and biggest disappointments of this year IMHO.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 31st 2005, 2:10 pm

yeah, I don't understand the point of remaking tv shows 30 years after the fact. don't people realize that it was not only the storyline that drew viewers, but the original actors and their chemistry together. it would be like making an I Love Lucy movie. that's just moronic.

and just from the previews I can tell that Dukes of Hazard is going to be really bad too. it looks like it is all about cars and hot chics. and while that may have been prevalent in the tv show, I don't remember the main guys being idiots. which is how they seemed to be portrayed in the trailer. why can't Hollywood simply make a new film? is that such a crazy concept?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 31st 2005, 5:05 pm

I remember liking Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Dukes of Hazzard, Lost in Space, and lots of other shows when I was a kid, but I don't understand the point of making 30-40 year old shows into movies. Are they counting on us to be nostalgic enough to pay $10 to see a remake? Are they hoping the movies will cause a resurgence in the shows' popularity? I don't get it.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 1st 2005, 3:29 am

candygirl wrote:I remember liking Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Dukes of Hazzard, Lost in Space, and lots of other shows when I was a kid, but I don't understand the point of making 30-40 year old shows into movies. Are they counting on us to be nostalgic enough to pay $10 to see a remake?.
Yes. I watched it exactly for that reason. I was curious to see how they'd done it. And I will probably watch next year's "I dream of Jeannie" remake for exactly the same reason...
candygirl wrote:Are they hoping the movies will cause a resurgence in the shows' popularity? .
Yes. (increasing the sales of the DVD box sets) The original show was prominently featured in the movie with loads of excerpts and photos.

It's always easier to build on an existing franchise (there are now two generations who grew up with Samantha and Darrin) than to create a new one. And you can be sure that most of those fans will check out the movie -- just for curiosity.

And there's one thing I have to admit: The basic premise of the movie is pretty good. It's not a plain old remake, it's a movie about a remake. That could have been a solid comedy (even with a slight sarcastic look at Hollywood's inner workings). But Nora Ephron (You've Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally) managed to deliver a horrendous script. There's not even one funny scene in there.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 1st 2005, 3:56 am

You are a braver soul than I! My money is staying right where it is and if I get around to watching the 500 movies on my Netflix list so that I can make room for some new ones, I might see some of these remakes but it's definitely not a priority for me. I'd rather enjoy the memory I have of the original than shell out $20 for Mr. CG and me to watch this kind of stuff in the theaters.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Bewitched

Post by Tish » Jul 3rd 2009, 8:56 pm

I LOVED and still love Bewitched since I was little through reruns. I'm trying to find the DVDs for it but I can't find them anywhere. *babydoll* :mrgreen:
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"