Battlestar Galactica

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Battlestar Galactica

Post by lance » Jan 15th 2005, 10:31 pm

I know there are not a ton of sci-fi fans here but...

If you have access to cable (or a friend who does) it is worth checking out the new series that premiered here in the US Friday night on the Sci Fi Channel. It has already been showing for a while now in the UK.

As a fan of the original extremely cheesy/campy series I was slow to warm to 2003 mini series. The more I watched it the more I became hooked. The show features some of the stronger writing on television right now. Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell give top notch performances. The show features unique camera work and realistic look.

Also as some vets have pointed out to me, the show really does the military look and speak well.

I would recommend this show to anyone who appreciates well written television shows (Buffy, Angel, Babylon 5, Homicide: Life on the Street, Stargate).

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 16th 2005, 5:31 am

Yeah, the new Galactica series is pretty good. I think it's better than the original series. Although except for the basic setting, it doesn't have much in common with the original show. The original "Galactica" was "just" science-fiction: Humans in a battle against evil robots. But the new version is more: I like how the 2004 version incorporates a very disturbing mystic / "higher being" arc. The cylons are not just robots wanting to destroy mankind, they have a bigger agenda. It's clearly more inspired by shows Lance mentioned like "Deep Space Nine", "Stargate", "Firefly" and especially "Babylon 5" (BTW: has it been mentioned here that a Babylon 5 movie is in the works?).

So far, I can really recommend the show to all science-fiction fans. The only negative thing are the opening credits: They actually include spoilers in the opening credits of each episode.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 18th 2005, 8:26 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:Yeah, the new Galactica series is pretty good. I think it's better than the original series. Although except for the basic setting, it doesn't have much in common with the original show. The original "Galactica" was "just" science-fiction: Humans in a battle against evil robots. But the new version is more: I like how the 2004 version incorporates a very disturbing mystic / "higher being" arc. The cylons are not just robots wanting to destroy mankind, they have a bigger agenda. It's clearly more inspired by shows Lance mentioned like "Deep Space Nine", "Stargate", "Firefly" and especially "Babylon 5" (BTW: has it been mentioned here that a Babylon 5 movie is in the works?).

So far, I can really recommend the show to all science-fiction fans. The only negative thing are the opening credits: They actually include spoilers in the opening credits of each episode.
Yup, a Babylon 5 movie is in the works. The production has been slowed down by the passing of Richard Briggs last Spring.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 27th 2005, 12:37 am

Galactica is doing very well:

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1695

"When it comes to demographical breakdowns, "Galactica" is making a killing. Compared to what Sci-Fi showed in the same timeslot a year ago, "Galactica" has witnessed a 256 percent increase in adults 18-49 -- a key demographic for Sci-Fi.

According to Sci-Fi Channel officials, "Galactica" had 1.4 million male viewers between the ages of 25 and 54, finishing higher than 13 of the 20 programs that aired on broadcast networks that night including "Star Trek: Enterprise" on UPN.

"Galactica" also is the second-highest rated program on cable for the week among people 18-34, another key demographic for advertisers.

What does this mean for a second season of "Galactica"? The jury is still out, but reports have NBC Universal making a decision by the end of the week."

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a second season.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 8th 2005, 7:31 pm

Sci Fi Channel is running a marathon of Battlestar Galactica tonight 7pm to 12 am EST & PST.

The first five episodes of the season will be shown. Good chance to catch up on what has been a pretty engrossing series so far.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 16th 2005, 9:00 pm

:D

Battlestar got renewed for another season!

Woohoo!

Finally I show I like gets renewed. Must have cable in Cali, must have cable in Cali...

:shock:

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 11th 2005, 10:35 pm

Season One, Region 2 due out on March 28th.

Thank God for Region Free players.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 3rd 2005, 10:58 pm

Continuing the my conversation with myself...

:shock:

Oh-my-Gawd!

The season ended on a huge [spoiler]Bang! (literally)[/spoiler] Can't wait until July when Season 2 starts. Also I hope to pick up Region One DVDs (please let there be commentaries) sometime in June?

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 4th 2005, 9:26 am

Yep, the new Battlestar Galactica turned out to be one of the best SF shows of the past years. Very well written and that whole mystic/higher being arc was amazing. I'm glad that the next season with 20 episodes starts already in two or three months...

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 27th 2005, 10:11 pm

Battlestar returns with Season 2 here in the US on July 15th!

Can't wait.

Summaries of upcoming episodes can be found here, they do contain some spoilers:

http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/index.shtml

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 19th 2005, 12:05 pm

More news:

According to:

http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/news ... irst.shtml

The US will get to see the first part of Second Season before the UK does. This is significant because Europe was able to see Season One before the US did. Adding further to the confusion the schedule breaks down like this:

July 15th- US gets first 10 episodes of a 20 season run, that's the way Sci FiChannel runs their schedule

October- Europe gets Second Season, possibly in its entirety thus getting the jump on US for part 2 of second season.

January- US gets last 10 episodes of the season.

Confused?

What gets me is this: If the movie studios can now premier a movies' release on the same day worldwide why can't cable shows do the same?

I have a feeling that their are tons of legal documents a team of lawyers who have some say in the matter.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 25th 2005, 4:58 pm

Grrrrr :twisted:

Please see:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3600

Apparently Walmart does not have the market on evil.

According to the above article Best Buy is getting exclusive rights to market DVDs for up to 2 months before other retailers can sell them.

What is evil here is that Best Buy will be selling Battlestar Galactica at full SRP of $69.99 on July 26, for Region One. At that price it makes getting the series now from Region 2 all that more affordable.

I detect what could be a trend here: Best Buy has already gotten exclusive selling rights to Tru Calling Season 2, Space Above and Beyond and now Batttlestar Galactica. They can charge what the want because they will have no competition for up to 2 months.

Just FYI,

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 30th 2005, 11:54 pm

2 weeks to go till the start of 2nd Season!

Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 7th 2005, 10:06 pm

Well according to TVShowson DVD.com

Best Buys price for Battlestar Galactica has dropped from a painful $69.99 to much more managable $49.99.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3621

Unfortunately for my wallet there are not one but two Best Buys located convienantly on my way home from work.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 8th 2005, 11:07 pm

According to Gateword

Commander Cain will make an appearance in September on BSG. Cain will be played by:

http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/news ... lcai.shtml

I for one really like the choice. A very strong performer who has had plenty of drama experience on some pretty awesome shows.

-LanceMan