Life As We Know It

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 5th 2004, 7:12 pm

As for Life as We Know It, I won't be watching for several reasons. First, the fact that it's another ABC show about high school kids using the MSCL-esque type font is too much for me.
yes that kinda stuck out for me too.
kelley osbourne...enough said.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 7th 2004, 8:16 pm

I'm going to at least watch the first episode of Life As We Know It. My Thursday TV viewing schedule is in flux right now. I'm not a big The Apprentice or CSI fan.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 7th 2004, 10:04 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I'm going to at least watch the first episode of Life As We Know It. My Thursday TV viewing schedule is in flux right now. I'm not a big The Apprentice or CSI fan.
it was on in the background while I played on the net. it was.... I don't know. they were trying really hard to be the male version of MSCL. they did this thing where the characters talk to the screen like Feris Bueller, and I really didn't like it. it was very distracting and proved that the writers took an easy way out instead of a deeper way to reveal the characters. they played some great music, but again, I felt it was forced. I didn't connect with the show really. and maybe it was because all the actors looked like actors.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 8th 2004, 6:28 pm

Life As We Know It has guilty pleasure potential. It's not very original, but the themes are engaging. The overwhelming focus of the first episode is sex, which usually sells. The young, hot female teacher hooking up with a male student plot line is interesting and titillating. It's also very topical. I think too many plot lines are introduced in one episode though. We'll see how things are developed. If I had to rate the show based on one episode, I'd rate it below early Boston Public episodes, Freaks and Geeks, and, of course, MSCL. So, it's not the best of the bunch, but it should/could be entertaining.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 8th 2004, 6:42 pm

I didn't mind the show, but I do have ONE MAJOR probelm with this episode... oooh damn I guess it would be a spoiler.... if you havent seen it...should I make a new thread with SPOILER in the subject..inquiring minds want to know. :oops:

well found this:
A safer way to post about spoilers is to use the font color option. Use a spoiler warning, then type the spoilers in white (when you are posting, go to the font color box above the text and select white or manually use the [color = white] tag). Anyone who wants to read the spoiler can highlight the spoiler text.
so here I go:

My biggest problem was with the suggested LOVE relationship with the teacher. NOT because of the age difference, I mean truly who cares, but becuase this is a violation of trust. The teacher is in a position of power and trust by being a teacher. If it had remianed simply fantasy on the part of the young man I would have had no problem with it.I think crossing that line is way too much.MHO

I should let you know that issues of trust with athority figures is a big deal to mew. I am an incest survivour so it's a very real issue in my life. I MAY be overreacting to this, but I truly don't think so. I was alos a teacher when I was young ( and preety darn good looking :P :lol: har har ahr) and did have a few young men who decided to become infatuated with me. I NEVER would have taken advantage of any of those young men.

OK my rant is over I truly am interested in other opinions!!

edited because the spoiler wasn't truly needed. :lol:
yet another blonde moment...not that I'm blonde anymore.... :P
Last edited by wicked on Oct 9th 2004, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 8th 2004, 7:01 pm

The MSCL.com forum defines spoilers this way:
What exactly are spoilers? When discussing current tv shows, a spoiler is any information (casting, plot, or otherwise) regarding an episode that has not yet aired in the USA.
Hence, your above post does not require spoiler tags.

For future reference, you can use the spoiler tag that Sascha added to our options:

[spoiler]Just click on the "spoiler" link when you are posting.[/spoiler]
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 8th 2004, 7:48 pm

I agree that such a relationship is a violation of trust. However, they happen. The 20/20 episode on Mary Jo Laterno, the teacher in CA who became involved with a student, was a fascinating look into this phenomenon. There was another incident here in FL. This plot line could work on many levels. First, such a relationship is a common male fantasy. Second, it could lead to an investigation of why someone would do something like this. Third, it's about sex.

A female teacher becoming involved with a male student is viewed differently from a male teacher becoming involved with a female student by many people. The male student is viewed as being lucky. The female student is viewed as being a victim. Of course, both students are victims. The teachers in both cases should know better. Somehow, lines get crossed. Needs are met.

As a former teacher, I can tell you that I wasn't oblivious to how good looking some of my female high school students were. Thankfully, I was able to control my temptations. Some people can't. Teaching, like acting, tends to foster intimacy.

I'm interested to see if the writers go beyond the cheap thrill aspect of this plot line. Will they explore the motivations of the teacher?
Last edited by TomSpeed on Oct 8th 2004, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 8th 2004, 7:54 pm

Another plot line is that one of the male leads sees his mother in a compromising position with his coach. He confronts her about it. I'm not sure how much I buy this scenario. I think that most kids would be more deferential or afraid to confront a parent on this situation head on. Maybe if a couple of episodes had passed it would be more believable.
TomSpeed

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 9th 2004, 1:24 am

I agree that such a relationship is a violation of trust. However, they happen.
not really sure what you mean by this...of course they happen, wasn't really my point.
This plot line could work on many levels. First, such a relationship is a common male fantasy. Second, it could lead to an investigation of why someone would do something like this. Third, it's about sex.
If it had remained in the realm of fantasy I wouls have no problem with it.
If they are makeing an investigation of why someone would do something like this I hope they also investigate the consequences of their actions and not only fire her butt, but have legal action taken against her.
Well the show was about sex, but those situations are about power
A female teacher becoming involved with a male student is viewed differently from a male teacher becoming involved with a female student by many people. The male student is viewed as being lucky. The female student is viewed as being a victim. Of course, both students are victims. The teachers in both cases should know better. Somehow, lines get crossed. Needs are met.
well then we have yet another doble standard that needs to be addressed by soceity at large. Teachers should not only know better thye should be prosecuted if they cross that line male or female.

Needs are met, hmmm well I'm sure there are needs met, but at what cost? I have this argument with male frineds of mine who lost their virginity to a nanny. If they don't feel they were taken advantage of were they? Perhaps not, yet someone who will do this with one child ( granted the child in this series is verging on adult..HOW OLD ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO BE...they are the oldest looking teenagers I've seen in a while.) they will take advantage of another. Just becuase they were OK with it doesn't mena the next child will be.
As a former teacher, I can tell you that I wasn't oblivious to how good looking some of my female high school students were. Thankfully, I was able to control my temptations. Some people can't. Teaching, like acting, tends to foster intimacy.

BEEN there, when I was teaching there were young men who werevery interested & very avlaible, & extremely attarctive. Would I have crossed that line. No. Trust.
I'm interested to see if the writers go beyond the cheap thrill aspect of this plot line. Will they explore the motivations of the teacher?
agreed but if they show the motivation I hope they also show the consequences of acting on those feelings.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 9th 2004, 1:25 am

roflmao :lol: ...apparenlty I really want CONSEQUNECES for their action.
sorry this is a trigger for me. perhaps I should shut up now.

catalano_16
Tino

well actually.....

Post by catalano_16 » Oct 9th 2004, 9:23 am

Well actually, I think that, that ABC show, Life as We Know it....was good! As a MSCL fan, at first I felt too intimidated, & I accused the show of stealing the MSCL name & topic. But, once I watched it, it was REALLY good! :shock: I thought Kelly Osbourne (altho, I don't care for her in real life) she did a fantastic job @ acting & I think I'll continue to watch the show. Besides, the guy who plays Dino, is super hot.....hehe :lol: :morning:

thanx,
p.s. give the show a chance....? who knows? u may like it?
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it_was_, you're lucky to get out alive."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: well actually.....

Post by emmie » Oct 9th 2004, 10:35 am

catalano_16 wrote:Well actually, I think that, that ABC show, Life as We Know it....was good! As a MSCL fan, at first I felt too intimidated, & I accused the show of stealing the MSCL name & topic. But, once I watched it, it was REALLY good! :shock: I thought Kelly Osbourne (altho, I don't care for her in real life) she did a fantastic job @ acting & I think I'll continue to watch the show. Besides, the guy who plays Dino, is super hot.....hehe :lol: :morning:

thanx,
p.s. give the show a chance....? who knows? u may like it?
I have to agree that while I didn't care for the show itself, I did think that kelly osborne did a good job. her character on the show is very different from her and I think she pulled it off.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 9th 2004, 3:26 pm

actually I thought I shouls clarify something,I'm not saying they shouldn't ahev used this story line. I don't beive in censorship, and I don't think everything you watch should make you "feel good" some of my very favortie movies are extremely difficult to watch. I am just hoping that as
TomSpeed said , they are not just doinh it for the cheap thrill.

On the whole I thought it might turn out to be a good show.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 9th 2004, 10:34 pm

I didn't have your post in mind when I noted that teacher/student relationships happen. The general public probably believes that these relationships happen, or almost happen, more rarely than they really do.

There will probably be consequences if the writers are looking at this issue seriously. It's hard to tell though because this is the first episode. the downside to tackling a sensational subject like this one right out of the box is that it might indicate that the writers will try to top things week-to-week. Each week's episode is more incredible than the last. These types of shows about high school just aren't that believable. Boston Public fell into this trap.

I agree that these kids look old. But high school students in real-life look much older now than when I was in high school in the 1980s. The writers haven't specified what grade that they are in. I'm guessing 10th or 11th grade.
TomSpeed

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 10th 2004, 10:18 am

TomSpeed wrote: I agree that these kids look old. But high school students in real-life look much older now than when I was in high school in the 1980s. The writers haven't specified what grade that they are in. I'm guessing 10th or 11th grade.
I didn't think they looked especially too old. they just look too good, you know?