Veronica Mars

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Veronica Mars

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 23rd 2004, 2:59 am

Sascha wrote:At the moment I'm recommending everyone to take a look at UPN's new show "Veronica Mars". It's by all means no comparision to "MSCL", but it's still a nice show - it's mainly targeted at teens and early twentysomethings, but it's not your typical teenage angst soap. The show has excellent writing with a good lead actress. This could be the new hit show for UPN which could cost theWB's "One Tree Hill" a lot of young (and older) viewers. Some reviews already call it "this year's 'Joan of Arcadia'" and I totally agree.

The show has some obvious similarities to the Chloe character from "Smallville". A young, blonde girl who likes to investigate criminal cases. Her dad was once sheriff in a wealthy community in California, but then he arrested an innocent man in a murder case and he lost his job. He then opened a small P.I. company with his daughter being some kind of inofficial employee. Although her dad doesn't want her to, she enjoys helping him out - she follows suspects, makes pictures and knows how to deal with the "bad boys" in dark alleys.

But this is not a cheap "young girl plays detective" adventure soap, it tells an interesting story of a girl who lost all her friends, was raped and is in search for her mother who disappeared shortly after her dad lost his job.

Sure, its a bit unrealistic - a young, seventeen years old girl who helps her dad as a private investigator and still goes to high-school - not exactly what I would call "true to life". But at least the pilot episode is well written and has an interesting character development.

It starts September 22 on UPN.
I watched this show tonight, and I agree with Sascha - it is funny and interesting. Although the premise sounds kind of unrealistic, it works (and hey, didn't the premise for Joan of Arcadia seem a bit far fetched but the show ended up being really great?). There are definitely some moments where you just have to go with it and overlook the implausibility, but overall, it was a good episode with interesting characters - a lot going on in tonight's episode (as is often the case with the first episode of a series) but it all tied together.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 27th 2004, 1:43 pm

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- MTV has quietly picked up the repurposing rights from Warner Bros. Television to UPN's new fall drama "Veronica Mars."

Encores of the show's initial broadcast on the netlet will air the following Tuesday at 7:00/6:00c on the cable channel beginning September 28. "Mars" regularly airs Tuesdays at 9:00/8:00c on UPN.

No financial details about the pact were released. The news marks the second repurposing deal of the 2004-05 season, the other being Cartoon Network's with 20th Century Fox Television for the midseason FOX comedy "American Dad."

MTV's last repurposing deal was during the 2002-03 season for another Warner Bros. Television series, the FOX drama "Fastlane."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 27th 2004, 2:19 pm

what is repurposing?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 27th 2004, 2:24 pm

Reairing the show while it is still in its first run, I believe.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 27th 2004, 6:53 pm

The actress who plays(ed) Chloe on Smallville, Alison Mack, isn't Veronica Mars, is she? Or is it just a similar character?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 27th 2004, 10:58 pm

Allison Mack plays/played Chloe on Smallville (no relation to Alex Mack - haha). The actress on Veronica Mars is Kristen Bell. A lot of people at the TWoP forums have remarked on their resemblance - the flippy hair as well as the characters' similarities.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 29th 2004, 3:34 pm

The second episode was pretty good too IMHO. Even the appearence of Paris Hilton couldn't harm this show ;-)

BTW: Both episodes were directed by Mark Piznarski, who was also responsible for the MSCL episodes "Betrayal," "Halloween," "Pressure" and "Why Jordan Can't Read" and for some excellent "Once and Again" episodes. So now I know why the "feeling" of the show is so familiar.

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Sep 30th 2004, 3:14 am

I liekd the second ep. I ike some surprising touches--like any other show woul;d make the motorcycle gang totally the "good guys" but on this they're just the lesser, right now, of two evils.

I'ma bit worried--ratings aren't too good and I've not run into anyone else who';s watched it. I hope we at least get enough eps to find out the ending to this mystery

E

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 30th 2004, 4:07 am

After Buffy ended its run on UPN, I was convinced I would never watch anything on that channel ever again. Veronica Mars proved me wrong. The fact that it is on UPN might be a good thing since they don't expect the type of ratings that Friends used to have. Interestingly, the Friday rerun of the first episode had higher ratings, so maybe people who caught the show on Friday or on MTV will start tuning in during the regular Tuesday timeslot. Here's hoping.

I agree with Sascha - even Paris Hilton didn't ruin the second episode! Very interesting info about the director too.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 5th 2004, 9:00 pm

I watched Veronica Mars the last two weeks and I liked it quite a bit. My friend worked on that show, actually ---- in the wardrobe/costume department. So I heard about it because she emailed me telling me when it was on. I'll watch it every week now if I get the chance.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2004, 2:24 am

Maybe your friend can explain the pink and green outfit Veronica was wearing.

:wink:

I was really bummed when I turned on the tv tonight to watch a new episode of Veronica Mars and saw a little message at the bottom of the screen saying that because of the debate, they were rerunning last week's episode.

:evil:

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 6th 2004, 8:27 am

whelp I can't seem to find this show...perhaps it was the debate thingy that threw me...sigh ANYWAY it's on UPN on tues? Just trying to "find" shows this month...aprox what time are people on the east coast finding it?
SPANKS

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2004, 2:56 pm

The showed a rerun of last week's episode here in California. It's on at 9pm Tuesdays on UPN. MTV reruns the previous week's episode on Tuesdays at 7pm. Check your local listings or http://www.zap2it.com to be sure though.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 6th 2004, 4:42 pm

thanks I didn't think zap had canadian lsitings...DOH!

(edit) well that explaines it..apparently we are not getting this show on any station in my area :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 9th 2004, 11:38 pm

Good news from the Hollywood Reporter:
UPN picks up 'Hill,' 'Mars'

UPN has given the thumbs up to critically acclaimed new dramas "Veronica Mars" and "Kevin Hill," giving both shows full-season pickups. While neither series sprinted out of the gate, "Kevin Hill," starring Taye Diggs, and "Veronica Mars," starring Kristen Bell, received some of the best reviews for this season's new shows. "Veronica Mars" (2.7 million, 1.7 rating/5 share among adults 18-34) has slowly but steadily inched up in the ratings since its premiere. The show, from Warner Bros. TV, Silver Pictures and Stu Segall Prods., is executive produced by creator Rob Thomas and Joel Silver. "Kevin Hill" (3.7 million, 1.7/5), which benefits from a strong "America's Next Top Model" lead-in, has significantly improved UPN's performance in the Wednesday 9 p.m. slot. The series, from Touchstone TV and Icon Prods., is executive produced by Alex Taub, Bruce Davey and Nancy Cotton and co-executive produced by the show's creator Jorge Reyes.