Veronica Mars

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2005, 4:42 am

I can't believe that I let two months pass without mentioning that I LOVE this show! I was originally sucked in by the mysteries of the pilot, but now the more we learn, the more mysterious everything becomes. Tonight's episode dispelled the myth that Lilly was in fact Weevil's secret sister - if you believe everything that the characters say. And as tawdry as it would be if Veronica and Duncan were both Kanes, I think the writers are sneaky enough that throwing that possibility out there means it can't possibly be true!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 12th 2005, 3:02 pm

I love this show too! It's really entertaining and I am able to suspend my disbelief to enjoy it... although once in a while I think, "how is she going to graduate high school?" :lol: Anyway, this semester I have a lot more open time, so I'll be able to watch it more! Yay!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Jan 12th 2005, 7:36 pm

Did youa ctually think Lily was just Weevil's sister name? i thought it was made pretty clear in that ep he just said that to spare her ex boyfriend's feelings. Maybe not though and I jumped to that conclusion.

I agree with everything else--it's WONDERFUL, and usually my fave hour of tv each week. I'm glad, despite ratings, it's picked up for a full 22 eps--even though UPN did show two eps out of order already (the serial killer/guitar ep was meant to air before the Christmas ep) which for a show liek this is awful

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2005, 9:27 pm

There were a lot of people pulling for Weevil to be Lilly's secret half-brother rather than her secret boyfriend, and that seemed like a much more interesting storyline. As for believing that he was her brother, as I said earlier, I think that the writers are very smart so I take everything that is said or done with a grain of salt.

Normally I would agree that airing episodes out of order is a stupid idea, especially on a show that is centered around a mystery, but switching the order and airing An Echolls Family Christmas before Silence of the Lamb didn't disrupt the show's continuity. Of course it's possible that they edited the hell out of both episodes in order to avoid disrupting the continuity.

:wink:

What really annoyed me was that when Silence of the Lamb finally aired, I didn't think it was "too dark for the holidays." Sure, serial killers aren't generally a happy topic, but neither is someone getting stabbed at a Christmas party.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Jan 12th 2005, 10:43 pm

LOL I was gonna just say that exactly--in fact I thought the Echolls ep felt darker...

No the order didn't disrupt things MUCh but it did seem odd NO ONE mentioned the stabbing

E

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 17th 2005, 2:30 am

Kristin from E! posted the following casting info last week:
Big Celebrity Coming to Veronica Mars! The Television Critics Associations Press Tour has begun, my friends, and Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell showed up at Showtime's soiree promoting the movie musical Reefer Madness. She was the belle of the ball, surrounded all night by a flood of drooling TCA reporters.

Since we share a special bond as fellow Kristins and 17-year-olds, as you can see in this E! Online's Kristin meets Veronica Mars' Kristen video clip, I wiped my chin and pounced to get scoop on the series I still contend is just as good as Lost, Desperate Housewives and Alias.

"We're announcing a new celebrity castmember next week!" K.B. revealed of Veronica Mars. "Someone that's been working on our show that we're thrilled to have. I'm under strict orders [not to say who it is], but I'm really excited about it."

Don't hate me but I'm also under strict (death threat) orders. However, I can tell you that this well-known actress is playing Logan's sister and is huge in this little world we like to call "Watch with Kristin." Over the years, we've talked about her series more than any other show. And when you fans of this cult hit find out, you're going to piddle a little. Promise.
Casting speculation is flying everywhere (the most common theory being that the actress in question is from BtVS), but someone whose sister works on the show and has seen the dailies for the episode says that Logan's sister Trina (who Aaron said was the only member of the Echolls family still speaking to him after the tabloid stories about his affairs came out) will be played by Alyson Hannigan. The episode in question, "Russkie Business" is the next new episode and is scheduled to air on February 22. The cast member announcement is supposed to take place this Wednesday.

ETA: link to one of the articles confirming AH's appearance
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_ma ... 1|,00.html
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Jan 21st 2005, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 18th 2005, 3:55 pm

candygirl wrote:Kristin from E! posted the following casting info last week:
Since we share a special bond as fellow Kristins and 17-year-olds, .
That Kristin from E! is only 17? Dang, she looks a lot older than that. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 18th 2005, 4:53 pm

Kristin from E! is definitely older than 17. I think she meant that mentally she is still 17 years old.

:mrgreen:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 18th 2005, 5:03 pm

Gotcha. :wink:

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2005, 6:48 am

So far, Kristen Bell, Enrico Colantoni, Joel Silver, and Rob Thomas have been announced as VM panelists for the Museum of Television and Radio William S. Paley Television Festival on March 14 (other shows scheduled to participate include NYPD Blue, In Living Color, Adult Swim, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives, Jack & Bobby, The L Word, Lost, Boston Legal, and Deadwood).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 26th 2005, 4:19 pm

Kristin wrote:I watched Veronica Mars the last two weeks and I liked it quite a bit. My friend worked on that show, actually ---- in the wardrobe/costume department. So I heard about it because she emailed me telling me when it was on. I'll watch it every week now if I get the chance.
Kristin, for some reason I thought I had already posted a link to this, but apparently I'm just very forgetful! I thought your friend might appreciate it: Outta This World: Fashion on Veronica Mars

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 26th 2005, 6:26 pm

Hey thanks candygirl! I'll send that along to my friend. I know she's now working on Point Pleasant, but she did seem more excited about working on Veronica Mars. That may only be because it was her first job after moving out to California, but whatever. I'd have been excited too! My friend also worked on Mr. 3000 in Milwaukee a couple summers ago, when they were filming there. She said that Chris Noth (in the movie he is a publicist for the Brewers) had a hissy fit about a tie they picked out for him. :roll:

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2005, 1:43 am

Casting spoiler from Kristin's column!

[spoiler]According to Kristin, Jason Dohring said that Alyson Hannigan will return to play Trina again and Rob Thomas is currently working out exactly how many more episodes she will be in![/spoiler]

In the meantime, you can view pictures of AH's first VM appearance here, here [spoiler]Logan is dressed as Tom Cruise in Risky Business for the Neptune High 80s dance[/spoiler], and here.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2005, 9:19 pm

Rob Thomas, the creator of Veronica Mars, posted a message at the TWoP VM forum:
In case any of you doubted this, we read TWOP pretty religiously around the Veronica Mars offices. (Though I admit that I'm still thrown by a number of the abbreviations. I finally figured out that BSK stood for "Back, Show Killer." As I've produced/written two of those Paula Marshall shows, I feel somewhat responsible for her unfortunate nickname.)

One of the other producers on the show likened reading the postings to getting hit with a tidal wave of love tempered by a million papercuts.

Let me say, first and foremost, thank you for watching, commenting on and caring about the show. I promise you, we value your feedback more than the overnights. (Though I would cut off a digit for a 5 share.)

Here's what I know about our chances for a second season...

UPN, despite our low numbers, treats us like gold. Usually when a show is failing to do the numbers a network wants it to do, the network tries to "fix" a show. UPN isn't tinkering with Veronica Mars. They have told us to "keep doing the show your doing. It's up to us to bring an audience to the show." Creatively, the executives at both our studio and our network have been tremendously supportive.

Dawn Ostroff, the network president, gave us an encouraging speech about how Seinfeld, Cheers, even our OTH competition (see, I'm catching on) were ratings flops until Season 2. At the recent Television Critics Association network meetings, Dawn said that nearly every critic in America let her know that she simply can't cancel Veronica Mars.

That's the good news. If there's bad news, it's that shows are often cancelled by networks even when they love and are proud of a show. At some point, an executive that I don't even know because he/she is so far up the corporate food chain may simply look at the numbers and pull the plug. Still, I would bet on us being back before I bet against us.

I can't tell you how many arguments/discussions/debates you all have had online that we have had in our writer's room as well. Should Veronica have written "Veronica Mars is smarter than I" on that fifty dollar bill? Sure, it's grammatically correct, but it's less idiomatic. We, too, debate these things. You all have noticed things that blows my mind. In the original version of the Veronica Mars pilot, Lilly's body was disposed of in the ocean. For reasons that I'll explain in detail on the season one DVD (assuming we get one), it became necessary to change the location of her body. Somehow the prop crime scene reports didn't get changed and a few of you froze the screen and were able to read these original reports. Our bad. I've learned. The Veronica Mars audience is on top of these details.

I can't wait for you all to see what comes next. I think the show has gotten better as the season has progressed, and I know we have some great surprises to come.

Thanks again,

Rob Thomas

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 17th 2005, 4:17 pm

Damn, this week's episode was awesome (especially compared to last week's Lord of the Bling). One of the things I liked this week was the fact that Keith smurfed her AND she was wrong about Rooks. Thus far they have shown that she is an excellent detective, poker player, singer, etc. so it was nice to see that she isn't perfect. Now the writers have shown us that she is capable of being wrong (just not very often!), as opposed to giving us an unstoppable heroine.