Veronica Mars

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 21st 2007, 3:36 pm

Can anyone get me caught up before the season finale? I missed the last two episodes, one because channel 5 was covering the fires for THREE hours, and last weeks because I was out and my sister forgot to record it.

The last thing I saw was:[spoiler]Veronica kissing Pizz (?) at the birthday party and Logan seeing it.[/spoiler]

Thank you!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2007, 4:45 pm

Debasement Tapes

I Know What You'll Do Next Summer

I'm over here quietly mourning the cancellation and hoping that the season finale (now the series finale) will leave me with warm fuzzies.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 22nd 2007, 4:44 pm

That was PERFECT! Thank you! I had forgotten about that site, but see, I knew who to ask :D Why is the CW calling it merely the 'Season Finale' when everything I've read say the show's been cancelled? Is there a possibility that it isn't, or is it just easier for CW this way?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 22nd 2007, 7:39 pm

Technically, the CW has until June to renew the show, but Dawn Ostroff already said that VM is not being picked up. EW reported that Kristen Bell has already been signed to Gossip Girl which will air on the CW.

I'm guessing the reason that this is not being advertised as the series finale is that they had already made commercials calling it the season finale and they didn't want to spend the money to change the ads. Either that or they don't want to incite even more fans to riot!

:mrgreen:

The series finale is two hours, so if you are recording it, make sure you set the time for the whole two hours!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 24th 2007, 3:09 pm

Well, the two-hour series finale was a bit unsatifying, but it was at least way better than the two episodes before that. And it was closer to the original "noir" spirit of the show from season one than most of the episodes of the third season.

But it was really time to let this show go, before Rob Thomas and the other authors had to make even more compromises in a feeble attempt to attract more viewers. The show just didn't work in this procedural style without season-wide story arcs. There's a transcript of the "Veronica Mars at the FBI" trailer online and it doesn't sound convincing either.

On the other hand, we got more than 60 episodes of a great show which would have been cancelled with those terrible ratings after ten episodes on any other network. UPN and theCW gave the show countless chances to attract more viewers, but it just wouldn't work. Heck, they even gave them "Gilmore Girls" as lead-in, what more can one ask for?

So while I'm sad to see this show end (especially with such an open end), I'm also glad that the show could bow out on a high note before jumping the shark.

And I'm sure Rob Thomas will be back with a new project for 2008/09.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 14th 2007, 4:59 am

An interesting interview with Rob Thomas can be found at bogcritics.org.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/06/13/141656.php

He talks about the Veronica Mars cancellation and his career so far. Nice trivia: He wanted to write for the second season of "My So-Called Life" back in 1995.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 4th 2007, 9:37 pm

Hee, I thought I'd already replied to this! I agree with you, Sascha - as sad as I am that VM is not coming back for a fourth season, it's better that it end now than to let it deteriorate even further. While this season was not as tight as S1 or S2, it was still way better than most other shows this season, so for that I'm grateful. Even more than that, I'm eternally grateful for the awesomeness of S1. I hope to see KB and the rest of the talented cast continue to work. It would be a shame for most of them to disappear into obscurity.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 5th 2007, 10:27 am

I'm sad to see it go as well, I just started watching the show this season. but I'm getting season 1 from netflix today! whoot! it does seem clear from the forums I've read that everyone loves season 1, so I'm excited.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 5th 2007, 11:06 pm

Watch out Emmie, if you have one DVD at a time like I do from Netflix -- it's pretty painful to have to wait between the cliff hanger VM episodes. Well worth the wait though. I got so fed up waiting for the last DVD of the first season that I reserved the second season from my local library, but then it took four months for those to be available. Anyway, it is a great show (just like lost it was a show I orginally scoffed at and then grew to LOVE).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 6th 2007, 4:42 am

I'm too impatient to wait for another disc, so whenever I watch a season on DVD from Netflix, I get as many as possible. Luckily with most HBO shows, the seasons are so short that I can get almost the whole season at once. We used to watch an entire season of Oz or the Sopranos in one weekend. Awesome.

emmie, S1 is the best! If you even remotely liked S2 or S3, you will love S1!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 7th 2007, 11:49 am

I've only had a chance to see the pilot, but yeah I'm already craving the time to sit down and watch the whole disc. she's so cute with her attitude and comebacks. while she was still tough in season 3, I can definitely see how they softened up her character. but I guess that had something to do with being with Logan and Piz.

it's funny because I did the same thing with Alias. I didn't care anything about the show, but so many people told me to watch it, including Watch with Kristin on Eonline. so I finally started season 1 with netflix and ended up skipping sleep during my finals one year to watch. I think I saw the whole first season of Alias in about 4 days! ha ha.

Cami A.
Catalano

Veronica Mars & MSCL Parallels!

Post by Cami A. » Apr 23rd 2009, 4:43 am

Moderator note: merged with existing Veronica Mars thread

I can't believe there isn't already a topic on this. So, Veronica Mars, for people who've never watched it is about a girl named Veronica Mars whose best friend Lilly Kane was murdered a year before the series begins. Her father, who was once the Sheriff of Neptune, CA, accused Lilly Kane's father of the murder. Most of Neptune disagreed with him, and drove him out of office for his distasteful investigation. Keith Mars, Veronica's father is now a Private Investigator, and Veronica works for him. Even though a man named Abel Koontz confesses to Lilly's murder, Veronica knows something is not right. In the Midst of carrying on her own investigation of her best friend's murder, she helps her classmates and friends solve small mysteries, a different one each episode. And that's just the first season.

Here're some parallels to MSCL I noticed.

Girl's Bathroom it's one of the most common setting in which two characters interact. It serves as Veronica's office at school, where people go if they want her to help them solve a personal mystery, or track down some info for them. In MSCL Rayanne, Angela, Rickie, and even Sharon were constantly interacting with one another in bathroom. Even making plans sometimes.

Cool Teacher Turns Out To Be A Scumbag In one episode of Veronica Mars, a cool History teacher named Mr. Rooks gets accused of sleeping with a teenage girl. Veronica, who thinks very highly of Mr. Rooks, and doesn't believe the claim, works with him to prove his innocence, only to find out in the end, that he is guilty of what they claim. It's quite the let down. Connection to MSCL? Angela's realization the Substitute Vic Racine left his family...what a dirtbag!

Wallace vs. Rickie Okay, maybe kind of a stretch, but Wallace is often referred to as a girl, because he is super close friends with Veronica, and shares almost everything with her. However, he is definitely not gay. He is referred to by a recurring character as veronica's "beard" at one point, jokingly. And at another point Keith says "Can't you girls do something normal?" when referring to Veronica & Wallace. See the similarities in his role, and Rickie's in relation to Rayanne and Angela?

Anyone got anything else?
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Veronica Mars & MSCL Parallels!

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 26th 2009, 8:26 pm

I don't recall Keith or anyone else referring to Wallace as a girl. I'll pay attention for that when next they're on. I've always loved the Wallace Veronica friendship and that they never exploited it for sexual tension or pining, and that both characters got to have their own love lives.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 27th 2009, 6:12 am

Kinda like that they don't go there with Veronica and Wallace too. Although, secretly, I think he's the most awesome guy on the show, and I wish she'd see the light. It's the episode where Wallace gets kicked off the Basketball team for failing his drug test, and he's taking a drug test in veronica restroom to try to determine if the cookies were drugged, and Keith comes into the room, and veronica tells him what's going on, so he says "Can't you girls do something normal..." or something along those lines.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 27th 2009, 6:19 pm

I am SO SICK of the tv/movie cliche that the opposite sex best friend must then become the love interest. Despite my love for When Harry Met Sally, it IS possible for a man and a woman to be friends with absolutely no interest or intention of becoming more.

One of the many things I loved about VM was that they never went there with Wallace. He was always the BFF and there was no question about it - no longing sideways glances or sighs of unrequited love.