Summerland

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Summerland

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 10th 2004, 12:48 am

... is this totally irritating show on WB that I turn on sometimes because it is filmed where I live and I occasionaly see people I know. Okay, my main problem with the show is how it constanlty steals things from other shows and movies and makes it seem like part of our general culture.

Examples off the top of my head:
the two women talk about this thing they do where they answer questions off the top of their heads to make decsions they don't know how to (Friends)

At a party they had a "keymaster" (Say Anything)

I know that shows and movies always rehash or reinvent storylines from their predecessors, (even MSCL borrows things from Wonderful Life and Wonder Years) but it just seems particularly irritating in this case. I think because they take things from TV and Movies and act like they are taking it from real life.

Has anybody ever gone to a party with an actual key master? Or seen it referred to outside of Cameron Crowe's movie? (Maybe I'm just being Cranky)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Post by guitarchick » Aug 10th 2004, 11:25 am

It's a bad show. Just horribly written. I predict they won't make it past their first season.

Another bad show has got to be North Shore! I know one of the guys on the show because he's from Montreal and he used to play Timmy in the Canadian series "Lassie". Now he's playing this beach stud. It's ridiculous.

But yeah, where are all the quality writers??? It seems like they're either writing for film or for Six Feet Under...

Emilie

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 17th 2004, 8:49 am

They did it again! In tonight's episode we are subjected to the cliche "Can men and women really ever just be friends?" (clearly When Harry Met Sally material), and this coming from a 13-year-old girl!

The one redeeming element to this show is the new character who was added this episode, a gay man (with AIDS) who will be the new fashion assistant. Yes, everything about this show is a cliche, but this new character is pretty entertaining and has had some classic lines so far: "I make an art form out of being an acquired taste."
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 29th 2004, 11:54 pm

I disagree, I really like the show Summerland. I like most of the cast too. Maybe not like I love My so called life, but this show is good to me. I dont see that it really copies to many other shows, ofcourse I dont watch every show so I really dont know.

To me, it gave me something new to watch during the summer. I hate not having anything new to watch in the summer. Plus I do think it got picked up for its 2nd season starting in March.