Undeclared

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Undeclared

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 21st 2004, 2:46 am

News from tvshowsondvd.com:
It looks like Shout! Factory is coming through for Judd Apatow again. The company licensed Apatow's Freaks & Geeks, and according to Entertainment Weekly (June 25th issue), now they've gone and licensed his other show, Undeclared. The article doesn't mention a release date, but gives us an idea of the extras we can look forward to:
Apatow is armed with an arsenal of extras: "every deleted scene, blooper, audition," as well as uncut, improvised riffs from Loudon Wainwright III, who played not-so-gay divorcée Hal, and former Freak Jason Segal (Eric, the obsessive ex).
Hopefully they'll release the show in production order, since it makes more sense than the order in which it was aired. We'll post more information when it becomes available.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Undeclared

Post by Sascha » Jun 21st 2004, 4:59 am

candygirl wrote:News from tvshowsondvd.com:
It looks like Shout! Factory is coming through for Judd Apatow again.
Yay! This is *very* good news! :-) This also means that the F&G set is selling well :-)
Hopefully they'll release the show in production order, since it makes more sense than the order in which it was aired. We'll post more information when it becomes available.
So true. I still haven't figured out how to sort my divx's I recorded from an airing here in Europe two years ago. Even the production order seems messed up in a way.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 14th 2004, 8:04 pm

The latest word from Judd Apatow:
Looks good. We are clearing music now. Lots of the bands that weren't that big when we used them on the show became huge later so we need to figure out all the rights issues. We had songs from Outkast and Coldplay, so it gets complicated. Hoping to have it out next spring.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Aug 25th 2004, 3:44 pm

Yes!! This is very good news! I can't wait for an Undeclared DVD set!
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 26th 2005, 3:08 am

News from tvshowsondvd:
Wow, it's been the Summer of '03 since creator Judd Apatow first spoke about Undeclared coming to DVD, and then it was the Summer of '04 since we last heard anything very in-depth about the status of the project. Now we have a release date, set for deep in the center of the Summer of '05!

DVDPlanet.com has listed Undeclared - The Complete Series for release from The Shout! Factory (via distributor Sony Music) on July 5th. List price is $49.95 for a 4-disc set, but DVDPlanet will set you up right now for just $34.97 if you declare your purchase in advance.

This is great news; the last thing Judd said about this was about 3 weeks ago, and he commented that they were "finishing them up now". We're glad to see that a specific release date was set so fast, and that retailers are already being solicitated to carry it. We'll be back as soon as we can with more info from Shout! on this release. Stay tuned!

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 26th 2005, 1:14 pm

So nice.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 28th 2005, 3:54 am

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3169
Just yesterday we posted news that DVDPlanet.com was showing a July 5th release date for Undeclared - The Complete Series. Now creator Judd Apatow is saying to hold off before marking that on your calendar in permanent ink.

Just a few hours ago Judd posted info saying that the date might move back about a month. He also talked a bit about the extras, and in a lot of detail about the music clearance situation. There's also a comment right at the beginning that answers the question, "will there be a special edition version similar to the one for Freaks & Geeks?" Here's a relay of exactly what Judd said:
I think the release date will move to mid August. There will only be one version of the DVD. it will be similar to the six disc set of Freaks and Geeks. We have an episode that starred Ted Nugent that we reshot which removed Ted. We will put both versions on there. There is an episode that never aired. The museum seminar is on there along with lots of dailies and deleted moments. We were able to clear 96 percent of the music, and the songs we couldn't get, about ten, were not important songs. So we did really well there. There were some people like Jay Z and Outkast that weren't huge when we used there music and now they wanted too much money or just said no. A drag, but a minor one. Our commentaries are really funny. SInce the show was not as serious as Freaks the commentaries are a little crazier. Fred Willard did a great one. Everyone did one. Loudon Wainwright, all the cast. We are excited to have it out there since it never aired in reruns.
Thanks goes to Brian Basquille for the very fast heads-up about this. We'll talk to Shout! Factory just as soon as we can and see what the release date will end up being for certain. Stay tuned!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 7th 2005, 12:24 am

News from [tvshowsondvd:
Last week we posted news mentioning that online e-tailer DVDPlanet.com had listed a July release date for Undeclared - The Complete Series, but before the next day was out creator Judd Apatow was saying that "I think the release date will move to mid August."

Now DVDPlanet has updated the ship date at their pre-order listing to show a new August 16th street date for the 4-disc set.

Amazon.com, on the other hand, doesn't list a date at all. They are still showing their standard "this item is not yet available...sign up to be informed when it becomes available" message that they put on ANY title they get a lot of searches for by their users. However, at that placeholder for the DVD release listing, Amazon is now showing cover art for the release!
You can view the cover art here.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Apr 7th 2005, 11:59 pm

i loved undeclared.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Sep 19th 2005, 7:33 pm

Last week I bought the undeclared dvd set for $29.95 at music for a song.

It is so nice to have this show on dvd. We should thank Jason for the whole niche tv show on dvd trend!

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jan 27th 2011, 2:39 pm

I'm half-way through watching Undeclared, and in the episode "God Visits", Lloyd somehow reminded me of Sebastian Flyte, one of the main characters from Brideshead Revisited (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brideshead ... _serial%29). If you remember, in this episode Lloyd's views on life and his general happiness are affected by a lecture on existentialism. He walks around with a blanket/comforter on, gets in a mosh pit, and cries to the sound of a violin. Sebastian is a wonderful but tragic character, who's very sensitive, but in an eternal conflict with this world, the hypocritical morals of society, his family, and himself, and he's also kind of self-destructive. I didn't particularly care for Lloyd until now, but this similarity that I see makes me like hm more / see more depth to him.
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 28th 2011, 12:21 am

I quote this show constantly; like The Godfather, there's a line for every occasion (or lines worth creating occasions around):
"Hence the pawty"
"I was a slut"
"Bacon fat! Bacon fat! Bacon fat!"
"I was a patsy!"
"Sabrina, the Teenage Witch is on, and I guess she'll have to do!"
"I'm sorry I called you cathartic"
"I have a bra for that" "I knew you would"
"Cuz we like it on top. (We're making sweatshirts, it's going to be really cool.)"
"Who's the new prof in the fancy duds?"
"You - Make - No - Sense"
"Japa-knees"
"And that's from a group evite bitch!"

This show was nothing like Freaks and Geeks in style and tone, but it was awesome in a completely different way. Loved the many guest stars Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel, etc. and my favorite: David Krumholtz "DANGER! (Steven Karp!)"
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jan 28th 2011, 3:27 am

I haven't gotten to the point of quoting it, but I might get there ;)

Yes, I agree that it's not like Freaks and Geeks... Except that Lloyd totally reminds me of Daniel!

On a different note, I'm a goth/metalhead and if you told me a few years ago that I'd be watching something by the makers of "Knocked Up", I wouldn't believe it (cause that seems mainstream and goths are oh-so-alternative :P). But it really is fun and I enjoy it.

(And, the lack of a Catalano-like character is good for my Catalano obsession :P)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 28th 2011, 9:11 am

I still can't get over the fact that Lloyd is now Jax on Sons of Anarchy. I can buy Lizzie as one of the grad students on Bones, but Lloyd is Jax! I still think of them as two totally separate people. The actors, that is.

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jan 28th 2011, 12:00 pm

Based on what I read on Wikipedia about this Jax person, I can sort of see why Charlie Hunnam might be appropriate, but only sort of. I'd need to watch the show. Would you recommend it?