Popular

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Popular

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 27th 2004, 2:52 pm

For the upcoming release of the Popular Season One DVD, I thought I'd start a thread. Did anyone else here watch this show? My friend and I loved it!!

Just last night he offered me some AMBROSIA SALAD as a tribute to it...

Any other player-players out there??? Nicole and Mary Cherry ROCKED!!
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 27th 2004, 3:23 pm

Wow, I didn't know "Popular" was scheduled to be released this year. Thanks for the info, I'll surely consider buying it. The first season was really, really good - it re-invented the genre of teen tv shows. I remember how hooked I was just after the first minutes of the pilot episode. Characters and scripts were weird, funny and entertaining. Leslie Bibb, Carly Pope and Tamara Mello are also good actresses. But the second season - whew, that sucked big time. I don't know what happened - maybe they tried to please theWB, maybe the concept wore off, whatever.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 27th 2004, 3:54 pm

I really liked this show also! Sooo glad to hear it is being released! :lol:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2004, 3:58 pm

Yup, there was an article last month that announced release dates for Felicity S3, Boy Meets World, and Popular. I liked Popular, especially the first season. I kind of lost track of what was going on after a while, but I remember the episode near the end with the eating disorder clinic.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 28th 2004, 3:48 pm

This is the posting on it from tvshowsondvd.com:

"Yesterday afternoon the UltimateDisney.com website posted the following information about Popular DVDs:

...making its DVD debut is "Popular", the one-hour dramedy that ran for two seasons (1999-2001) on the WB. The first season will street in July.

You can read the entire article they posted here (our thanks to Mark Herzberg for letting us know about it). Disney/Buena Vista has not issued any press release about this yet; UltimateDisney.com is the only source that has provided this information so far. We'll follow up with our sources at The Mouse and try to get more details for you. Stay tuned!"

Meanwhile, if you're interested in some awesome interviews with Tammy Lynn Michaels (Nicole Julian), Lesley Grossman (Mary Cherry) and some other stars from Popular, check out :

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show.cgi?show=38
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2004, 10:12 pm

Info from tvshowsondvd:
Presenting the complete first season of Popular, a 6-disc DVD set from Buena Vista Home Entertainment and Touchstone Television. Who's hot? Who's not? The popular ones, the unpopular ones, the geeks; Kennedy High has them all, and they're squaring off against each other.

On the popular side there's Brooke McQueen, a Barbie doll prototype, the head cheerleader with Nicole her devilish best friend. Then there's her boyfriend, Josh Ford, star of the football team; Mary Cherry, the multi-millionaire Texan girl, and Sugar Daddy.

On the unpopular side, there's Sam McPherson, the girl who is always looking for justice; Harrison, the not-so-hot boy; Carmen Ferrara, the heavy girl with the warm heart and Lily, the confused girl with the boyish look.

Brooke and Sam, enemies by nature, have to deal with their parents' marriage and school problems. Bonus materials for Popular - Season 1 include Audio Commentaries, Outtakes, Behind-The-Scenes and Making-Of featurette, a "Where Are They Now?" retrospective, and more. Bonus materials are subject to change.

The 22 episodes from the first season are all here, including the season-ending show which mocked over a half-dozen "sweeps stunts" which are often seen during the "Sweeps" periods. That one will be a can't-miss! Look for this to hit home at a suggested retail price of $59.99, on July 20th.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2004, 9:48 pm

FYI - the release date has been changed to September 21.

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Popular DVD

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Apr 12th 2004, 9:58 am

I was also a fan of Popular. It had a great concept but lost it somewhere in the sesons. The second season lost me completly. It just got sooo wierd. I liked the issues that they covered like weight, being gay and friendship but they went about it so wierdly. I will buy the dvd...when I need a get laugh. I could never take it seriously like I do with MSCL.
There`s Something About My Life....

Loz_179
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Loz_179 » Apr 15th 2004, 10:48 pm

They've started showing Popular for the first time in Australia, on cable. I think we're almost up to the end of the 1st season.
I love how Sam and Brooke will be getting along in one episode and then the next thing it's like the writers remember they're supposed to hate each other and then they make them have some ridiculous fight.
I think this will be my 2nd dvd purchase of a tv show - off ebay as usual, coz as if they'll ever release it here. Good old ebay...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 21st 2004, 2:49 am

tvshowsondvd has an update:
We've known that season 1 of Popular has been coming for awhile, but the June 25th issue of Entertainment Weekly mentions that season 2 is already in the works, however no date is mentioned.

The article also mentions that fans can look forward to "a gag reel, outtakes, cast commentary, and deleted scenes - including an extended verison of Lily and Carmen's same-sex kiss." You can get more information about the DVD release on the DVD Release Info page.

We'll keep our eyes open for more information on the second season set, but we don't expect to hear anything official for awhile.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 23rd 2004, 4:51 am

tvshowsondvd is reporting an early 2005 release date for S2!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 21st 2004, 4:14 am

tvshowsondvd says that Buena Vista wants your help! They are asking fans to vote for the cover of the S2 DVD release. Go here to vote!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 21st 2004, 5:19 am

candygirl wrote:tvshowsondvd says that Buena Vista wants your help! They are asking fans to vote for the cover of the S2 DVD release. Go here to vote!
Geez, they're all ugly. I opted for the third one.