Is TV rubbish in the autumn?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 19th 2003, 12:01 am

The only new show I'm looking forward to is FOX's "Arrested Development" which they say is great but won't last more than a few episodes, which sounds like my kind of show.

I don't have Showtime, but Out of Order is supposd to be really good, as well as Freshman Diaries (from the creators of American High). And if you have HBO, the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm starts soon.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 19th 2003, 12:13 am

Sammi wrote:I think with so many OC watchers here, we need to Start and "I Heart OC" in the other TV Shows Section.
And to think, I was so embarrassed to admit that I love that show! :lol: :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 19th 2003, 12:38 am

You're talking to someone who just admitted to watching an entire season of Temptation Island - there is no need to feel any shame!

:D

Don't forget - we watched that Lifetime movie together. The ENTIRE movie.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 19th 2003, 12:47 am

candygirl wrote:You're talking to someone who just admitted to watching an entire season of Temptation Island - there is no need to feel any shame!

Hahaha! True, true. Another reason why I love this Forum (and all the posters!)! I feel so normal here! :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 31st 2004, 11:52 am

Megs wrote:
candygirl wrote:You're talking to someone who just admitted to watching an entire season of Temptation Island - there is no need to feel any shame!

Hahaha! True, true. Another reason why I love this Forum (and all the posters!)! I feel so normal here! :lol:
ah yes, here we are normal! :wink:

well, I didn't have cable last year, and am contemplating getting a basic hookup. does anyone know of any good new shows that will be starting this fall? pretty much the only tv I watch is Scrubs and Smallville.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 31st 2004, 12:31 pm

emmie wrote: does anyone know of any good new shows that will be starting this fall? pretty much the only tv I watch is Scrubs and Smallville.
I'd say "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" (both ABC) look both very promising. "Lost" is by "Alias" and "Felicity" creator J.J. Abrams and is about a group of survivors of a plane crash on a lonely island. Yeah, sounds like a scripted "Survivor", but as usual J.J. Abrams added some (scary) surprises. I've seen the two-hour pilot and I liked it very much.

"Desperate Housewives" is an interesting drama about -- well, housewives -- in a typical American suburb. Well, not exactly, cause when one of those houswives dies suddenly in the first episode, a "Twin Peaks"-like story arc unfolds.

Other shows I'll check out for one or two episodes just to see how good/bad they are:
"Clubhouse" (CBS) - about a teenage boy who gets a job at his favorite baseball club. The pilot episode could easily be your typical family Disney movie like "The princess diaries" - but I don't know how they want to fill an entire season with this story. Oh yeah, Dean Cain ("Superman") and "Doc" from "Back to the future" star in this drama.
"Joey" (NBC) - Well, I was only a casual viewer of "Friends", so I will "casually" check out this spin-off. The pilot episode was average (but the opening joke in the teaser is hilarious).
"Father of the Pride" (NBC) - An animated sitcom about Siegfried and Roy and their animals by the makers of "Shrek". It has some very funny lines, but as soon as Siegfried and Roy (well, their animated counterparts) enter the show, it's hard not to throw something at the TV.
"Veronica Mars" (UPN) - If you like "Smallville", you may check this show out. It looks almost like a copy of the "Chloe" character - young girl and aspiring journalist investigates unsolved cases or something like that.
"life as we know it" (ABC) - ABC dares to call this show "My So Called Life for boys". But it's really a bad written show. Good actors (with a surprisingly well acting Kelly Osbourne), very good camera work -- but what will you do when the scripts suck?
“Jack & Bobby” (WB) - The pilot is pretty good, it is about two young boys, whom one of them will become president of the US in 2047, told from the future. But the show has a very bad timeslot (Sunday after "Charmed") and the first episode gives already all the interesting storydetails away (like which of the boys becomes president, which one dies, which one gets "the girl").

Not worth checking out (after my impressions of the pilot episodes):
"The Mountain" (WB) - Worst. TheOC. Ripoff. Ever.
"Hawaii" (CBS) - lame cop-show with cheap jokes.
"Dr. Vegas" (NBC) - I like Rob Lowe (West Wing) and “Sopranos” Joe Pantoliano and I love “Everwood's” Sarah Lancaster, but this show is such a cheap written "Las Vegas" ripoff ... it's a shame.

I didn't mention the new midseason (January 2005) shows here, but one should already make a note for ABC's "Eyes". A.J. Langer stars in it.

Oh, and here's a list of fall premiere dates - without those annoying reality shows (shamelessly stolen from a poster in my own tvforum).
According To Jim (ABC) Sept. 21
All Of Us (UPN) Sept. 21
American Dreams (NBC) Sept. 26
Arrested Development (Fox) Nov. 7

Bernie Mac Show (Fox) Sept. 8
Boston Legal (ABC) Oct. 3

Center Of The Universe (CBS) Sept. 29
Charmed (WB) Sept. 12
The Club (Spike) Oct. 12
Clubhouse (CBS) Sept. 26
Cold Case (CBS) Oct. 3
Commando Nanny (WB) pushed back till midseason
Complete Savages (ABC) Sept. 24

Crossing Jordan (NBC) Sept. 26
CSI (CBS) Sept. 23
CSI: Miami (CBS) Sept. 20
CSI: New York (CBS) Sept. 22
Desperate Housewives (ABC) Oct. 3

Drew Carey's Green Screen (WB) Sept. 16
Dr. Vegas (CBS) Sept. 24

Eight Simple Rules (ABC) Sept. 24
ER (NBC) Sept. 23
Eve (UPN) Sept. 21
Everwood (WB) Sept. 13
Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS) Sept. 20

Family Bonds (HBO) Sept. 19
Father Of The Pride (NBC) Aug. 31

George Lopez Show (ABC) Sept. 21
Ghost Hunters (SciFi) Oct. 6
Gilmore Girls (WB) Sept. 21
Girlfriends (UPN) Sept. 20
Grounded For Life (WB) Sept. 17

Half & Half (UPN) Sept. 20
Hawaii (NBC) Sept. 1
Hope & Faith (ABC) Sept. 24
House (Fox) Nov. 16
Huff (Showtime) Nov. 7

Jack & Bobby (WB) Sept. 12
JAG (CBS) Sept. 24
Joan Of Arcadia (CBS) Sept. 24
Joey (NBC) Sept. 9
Judging Amy (CBS) Sept. 28

Kevin Hill (UPN) Sept. 29
King Of Queens (CBS) Sept. 29
King Of The Hill (Fox) Nov. 7

Las Vegas (NBC) Sept. 13
Law & Order (NBC) Sept. 22
Law & Order: CI (NBC) Sept. 26
Law & Order: SVU (NBC) Sept. 21
LAX (NBC) Sept. 13
Less Than Perfect (ABC) Sept. 24
Life As We Know It (ABC) Oct. 7
Listen Up (CBS) Sept. 20
Long Way Around (Bravo) Oct. 28
Lost (ABC) Sept. 22

Malcolm In The Middle (Fox) Nov. 7
Medical Investigation (NBC) Sept. 9
The Mountain (WB) Sept. 22
My Wife & Kids (ABC) Sept. 21

Navy NCIS (CBS) Sept. 28
NYPD Blue (ABC) Sept. 21

The OC (Fox) Nov. 4
One On One (UPN) Sept. 20
One Tree Hill (WB) Sept. 21

The Partner (Fox) Nov. 7

Reba (WB) Sept. 17
Rodney (ABC) Sept. 21

Scrubs (NBC) Aug. 31
Second Time Around (UPN) Sept. 20
Seventh Heaven (WB) Sept. 13
Simpsons (Fox) Nov. 7
Smallville (WB) Sept. 22
Star Trek: Enterprise (UPN) Oct. 8
Steve Harvey's Big Time (WB) Sept. 12
Still Standing (CBS) Sept. 20
South Park (CC) Oct. 27

That '70s Show (Fox) Sept. 8
Third Watch (NBC) Sept. 17
Tru Calling (Fox) Nov. 4
Two And A Half Men (CBS) Sept. 20

Veronica Mars (UPN) Sept. 22

West Wing (NBC) Oct. 20
What I Like About You (WB) Sept. 17
Will & Grace (NBC) Sept. 16
The Wire (HBO) Sept. 19
Without A Trace (CBS) Sept. 23

Edited for some minor schedule changes.
Last edited by Sascha on Sep 3rd 2004, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 31st 2004, 2:40 pm

The shows im looking forward to...

The OC ( such a long wait )
One Tree Hill
Everwood
Still Standing
Yes, Dear
Summerland
Two and a half men
Will and Grace
8 Simple Rules

Actually this year it doesnt seem like there's too much to look forward to with Tv.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 31st 2004, 5:01 pm

wow, thanks Sasha. I wasn't expecting such a detailed answer, how great. a few of those sounded interesting. and like you wrote, there seem to be quite a few of copycat shows. but at least they are more spread out. I remember when ER got popular and there were a ton of medical dramas on the next year. and don't get me started on reality tv! I'm just glad that they haven't completely taken over television as we know it. I'm also glad I read your thread, because Scrubs premieres tonight. how exciting. and then next week That 70s Show.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 1st 2004, 6:06 pm

I watched the pemiere of Scrubs. This is my favorite comedy on TV, I don't know why more people don't like it. I guess it's the off the wall kind of comedy you either get or you don't. I'll be buying it when it comes out on DVD, but untill then I hope it has many more great seasons. This one looks like it's got potential with Turk and Carla being married, JD becoming a resident, and Heather Graham joining the cast. I'm looking forward to ER. Last season really drew me in, I'm hoping they can keep it up. The only thing that bothers me is when they show reruns for few weeks and then I miss the new episode. Would be nice if they put it on during the summer to catch up for next season.

Father of the Pride was fun, but at 9 months an episode I wonder how they can produce enough to keep the show going. A new one every few months isn't going to cut it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 1st 2004, 9:46 pm

Nothingman wrote:Father of the Pride was fun, but at 9 months an episode I wonder how they can produce enough to keep the show going. A new one every few months isn't going to cut it.
I wondered the same thing when I watched it. seems like more trouble than it's worth. unless they've been working on it for like 5 years and have a few episodes to run together.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 2nd 2004, 12:54 am

Ok, I just saw a commercial for that ABC show LOST-TV, um, why is my beloved Dominic Monaghan on this show? This makes me sad. (it's strange to see Matthew Fox again) http://www.lost-tv.com/cast/
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 2nd 2004, 4:35 am

Nothingman wrote:Father of the Pride was fun, but at 9 months an episode I wonder how they can produce enough to keep the show going. A new one every few months isn't going to cut it.
They've already produced 13 episodes as far as I know - for *a lot* of money. The whole project was started long before that tragic accident where Roy was severely injured by one of his tigers. But NBC had already spent too much money on that show to stop it at that time, so they went on with it - but they keep on insisting that Siegfried and Roy are perfectly comfortable with the show.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 2nd 2004, 10:40 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:They've already produced 13 episodes as far as I know - for *a lot* of money. The whole project was started long before that tragic accident where Roy was severely injured by one of his tigers. But NBC had already spent too much money on that show to stop it at that time, so they went on with it - but they keep on insisting that Siegfried and Roy are perfectly comfortable with the show.
I thought that might be it, but that's a tramendous amount of overhead to invest in a show, and considering the success of animated shows on every channel but FOX, that's a big risk. While I watched it I was thinking about how it cost the same amount to produce one episode of this and one season of Family Guy, at least in man hours. Animated shows succeed when they are edgy, because they can do topics other shows can't. I'm not quite sure that Father of the Pride has that. It's cute and fun, but I'm not sure I'll keep people coming back. Have to wait and see.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 2nd 2004, 10:59 am

yeah, I watched Father of the Pride the other night. but mostly because I only have 3 channels! ha. and yes, it's cute and they're animals, but I was a bit disappointed in the plot and humor. I thought the premise had potential, but the humor was just too mainstream. I don't think I would want to see another episode.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 3rd 2004, 6:00 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:Oh, and here's a list of fall premiere dates - without those annoying reality shows...
Thank you.

Lost looks like it could be good, but it also looks like it could be really bad. Like over-acting, soap opera-ish melodrama bad. If it's like the movie Alive, that's good. I'm curious to see how they can do 24 episodes of a show with this premise.

As a big Whose Line Is It Anyway fan, I'll be looking forward to the Green Screen Show (even though I hate Drew Carey).

And please don't miss your chance to check out Arrested Development, the best show on TV. This is an extremely rare case of a quality show pulling in horrible ratings but being given a much-deserved second chance.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)