Freaks and Geeks

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Freaks and Geeks

Post by oldguy » Sep 27th 1999, 2:35 am

OK... I promised a review of the new NBC show "Freaks and Geeks". The show
follows the lives of two high school students (a brother and sister in their first and
second year of high school, respectively ---- set in the year 1980, approx.). One
thing good about this show right away is that tha actors are actually about the
right age for their characters (unlike most shows about so-called "teens").

My quick review: I'd rate it about a "7" out of "10".

I don't know who the intended audience of this show is. I was a first-year high
school student in 1980, which matches me with the main male character... but
the show is a little too silly to try to grab the "retro" audience. The so-called
"geek" characters are stereotypical --- and realistically, I don't think the term
"geek" existed in 1980. I was probably what you might call a "geek" in my
first year of high school --- but neither me nor any of my friends were anything
like the kids portrayed on this show. This show resorts to a kind of stereotypical
portrayal similar to a movies like "16 Candles" --- making it possibly amusing
but nowhere near realistic.

However, the other side of the show ---- following the life of the main female
character --- is much more believable, and saves the show. I can't remember
the actress' name, but she is very good. That part of the first show that follows
her life is interesting, entertaining, and believable. It's worth watching just to
check out such a fine young actress.

So, it's kind of a mixed bag. I'm curious to hear what you all think.

OLDGUY

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Freaks and Geeks

Post by BeeJay » Sep 27th 1999, 12:39 pm

I am in agreement with you again on this one. I could relate only weakly with the boy and his friends. I think what threw me with the boy was his Jewish accent. No one else had this accent, so it kinda detracted from the "believability" factor.

But the boy's sister was very believable, and by the end of the show, i had pretty good (strong) feelings about her. Her performance is what will motivate me to watch the show again.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Oct 6th 1999, 11:11 am

Sorry to pick on you! :-)
But we appently have very different views on what constitutes a good show.
I missed the first episode of Freaks and Geeks but did watch this past weeks episodes and it was utter crap! It struck me as a well filmed sitcom. The characters were beyond shallow. The situation of the parents going out for the weekend and the kids having a party, Ok that I can buy. But the younger brother buying a keg of non-alcoholic beer....Pleazzzzeee! There were so many bad things I can't even go into it in a coherent fashion...

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Oct 6th 1999, 1:13 pm

I agree with you. The first show was decent, but the second
show was bad... even downright stupid. The show is trying
to be funny, I think... but it doesn't really work. It would be
much better if it were just a straight drama.

Karen
Tino

Post by Karen » Oct 6th 1999, 1:44 pm

Did you watch Felicity? This is a very good show. It is on CTV sunday at 7:00pm OR on Fox wednesday.

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Oct 6th 1999, 2:56 pm

I kind of have the feeling that the actress who plays the older sister has seen a few too many Neve Campbell performances....

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Oct 6th 1999, 4:24 pm

felicity is on wb49 on sundays at 8:00. it use to be on wednesdays at 8:00 but they switched it.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 6th 1999, 6:01 pm

No it's not! It used to be on Tuesday nights at 9PM on the WB; now it's on Sunday nights at 8PM!

(haha, hehe, hoho and LOL)

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Aug 18th 2001, 8:16 pm

Just for anyone interested.

E4 in the UK is to begin showing Freaks and Geeks from Monday (21st August 2001) at 19:00.

If we're lucky they may get MSCL at a later date, they've already shown POF and continuously show Dawsons Creek. If they get short of stuff then it may make them buy it??

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Oct 25th 2002, 1:08 am

The so-called
"geek" characters are stereotypical --- and realistically, I don't think the term
"geek" existed in 1980.

Well, I knew a guy that was using the term when I was in 8th grade (1977). By the time we got to high school, its usage was spreading. I grew up in Michigan and that is where the show was set, so the use of "geek" is not out of place. "Freaks" on the other hand.....The only time I heard the term used back then was for the annual Freaks vs. Pigs football game. And that was in the early seventies. At my school, they were called "vainers," which referred to shooting up. They were not a group known for their spelling.

Someone else referred to the accents being out of place. Well, the Detroit area is one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the country. There is a large Jewish community there.

I ontly saw a few episodes but I enjoyed the ones I did see. I lacked the realism of MSCL but it was better then most of the crap they dare call programming these days.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post.
"The finish line is my happy place."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 25th 2002, 1:19 am

When we don't give you an excuse to post, please feel free to make up an excuse for yourself.

:D

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Apr 9th 2004, 6:34 pm

Wow, looking at these early comments on Freaks and Geeks, I was a bit surprised. I got my eagerly anticipated DVD set today and couldn't wait to start watching. I have only previously seen the pilot and the Halloween episode as reruns on the family channel and was hooked. I think this show is hilarious. Can't believe it got panned in these early comments. I think these early reviewers were definately trying to read too much into it. I have only gotten past the first two episodes, but I personally think they are brilliant. Maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment and maybe i am speaking too soon, but I can't wait to see how the story progresses. This show isn't trying to be funny....it is funny with a razor sharp edge. The character of Bill Haverchuck alone is worth the price of the set...absolutely kills me.

By the way, this is definately the best produced DVD set I have seen....nicely packaged....great sound....great picture....great menus....and so far, great extras. Only have gotten to see a few, but this is definately well done.

Oh, what could have been with the MSCL set...glad to have it, but seeing this makes me realize how much better it could be.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 9th 2004, 11:55 pm

The way I look at it, NO show will ever be to everyone's tastes. Obviously some people here weren't fond of the show, but if you read through the comments in this thread, there are a lot of fans of the show here. MSCL is a hard show to live up to!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 12th 2004, 4:07 pm

This isn't specifically about the dvd, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a big fan of Undeclared, but I've never seen an episode of Freaks and Geeks. I've seen that the better Freaks and Geeks does on dvd, the more likely an Undeclared dvd set will be.

So I guess I'm wondering how similar these two shows are. It seems like (from what I've seen) Freaks and Geeks is much more a drama than Undeclared (plus the hourlong format instead of half an hour).

Has anyone seen a lot of both series and can comment on the similarities and differences, story and stylistically? I'm very curious. Maybe I'll pick up Freaks and Geeks if its as good as Undeclared.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 25th 2011, 2:17 pm

i had to go pretty far back to dig up this thread. I recently watched this show on dvd and was pleasantly surprised. no, it's no MSCL, but I like that it is similar. the kids aren't all done up in makeup and fancy hair, they seem real enough. I agree with a lot of the comments about it being silly and sometimes downright stupid. one of the episodes, the one about pot, reminded me of an after school special. but then some of the scenes, like the mascot falling through the lunchtable, had me laughing til I was crying. and I think they really got the awkwardness of the beginnings of dating.

the fun thing about this old thread is that none of these actors were famous at the time. now, not only are they famous, but so is the creator Jud Apatow. I also think it was the perfect time for me to watch this show because I've just been really bored with tv lately. it's all about sex and everyone looking pretty, which isn't always very interesting to me.