I Love the 80's/I Love the 90's on VH-1

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 26th 2003, 6:09 pm

I saw a few of them. I feel the same way about the younguns speaking about the 80s! They were born, in what, 83? That hardly qualifies them to speak on the show! :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 26th 2003, 6:26 pm

Well, to justify being irked, Beyonce was born in 1981 and Mandy Moore was born in 1984. I guess I don't have as much of a problem with it in the later years since they were old enough to be aware (kind of) about some of the toys, but I really don't see the point in interviewing them about most of the decade. Did you see Samantha Fox? Damn.

:shock:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 26th 2003, 7:41 pm

candygirl wrote: Did you see Samantha Fox? Damn.
Can we say. U-G-L-Y You ain't got no alibi...you ugly.

She got so mafugly. :shock:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 26th 2003, 8:28 pm

Man, she used to be kind of cute and now...she really didn't age well.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Oct 26th 2003, 11:58 pm

Megs wrote:I saw a few of them. I feel the same way about the younguns speaking about the 80s! They were born, in what, 83? That hardly qualifies them to speak on the show! :wink:
:cry: I was born in 1983. Does that mean I can't talk about the '80s....
I understand your point. They did the same thing w/some people on I LOVE THE '70s, but at least those people were funny or had something interesting to say.

Here's another tangent....
Boy George is SOOOOOO scary looking now. It looked like someone spilled a bucket of paint on his head.

And another.....
I HATE that Loni Love. Who is she and has she ever said anything funny?
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 27th 2003, 12:10 am

It doesn't mean that you don't remember the 80s or that you can't talk about it, but it's annoying to see celebrities reminiscing about stuff that happened when they were still in diapers, especially when they don't have anything funny or insightful to say. I mean, if they are going to have boring people just say, "Oh, I remember _______ too!" then I'm sure they could have found someone who was at least walking and talking during the year they are discussing. I guess using people like Mandy Moore and Beyonce was VH-1's way of saying, "We still know who is cool!"

Seriously, what the hell is going on with Boy George?! My friend said he looked like an orange with all of those segments painted down his skull.

I have no idea who Loni Love is either. The only thing that shows up on her imdb page is a movie called Soul Plane with Snoop Dogg, Tom Arnold, and DL Hughley that is coming out next year and her appearance on I Love the 70s.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 27th 2003, 6:26 am

candygirl wrote: Seriously, what the hell is going on with Boy George?! My friend said he looked like an orange with all of those segments painted down his skull.
Hehe - I actually know the answer to this :shock:
There's a newsletter I subscribe to called 'popbitch' (go to http://www.popbitch.com - it's mostly european but oh so entertaining) which is written using contributions from people who work behind the scenes with the stars. It's anonymous but I guess they have some way of verifying stories as quite often I read stuff in there weeks before it appears in the mainstream press...

anyway, according to popbitch the reason boy george started painting his face like that is that one day he woke up and realised that his middle-aged face-flab was making him look old and ugly. He worried about it until one of his aides recommended that he could regain that 'chiselled' look by painting angular lines along his chin, and colouring the area under it a single block colour, and then painting the rest of his face as normal...
anyway, obviously he gave it a try, liked the results and took it to an extreme. As usual.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen recent photos of Pete Burns from Dead or Alive?
shocking... check it out: http://www.deadoralive.net/index.html

Anyway, on the 80s thing, I do think it's a bit rubbish to have people who were born in the mid-80s reminiscing on shows like that. I mean, I was born in '77 so was in my small childhood years at the start of them and there's lots I don't remember. Sometimes I think these people are just saying they remember because they've been told about things and haven't distinguished between actual memories they have, and just what they have been repeatedly told about or heard about by others (there's science on that too).

anyway, I love the 80s :D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 27th 2003, 9:58 am

I thought Boy George was in a play or musical on Broadway, and was dressed in character. And he thought it makes him look thinner, so he keeps the paint on most of the time, now.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 27th 2003, 10:11 am

ducksqueak wrote:
Megs wrote:I saw a few of them. I feel the same way about the younguns speaking about the 80s! They were born, in what, 83? That hardly qualifies them to speak on the show! :wink:
I understand your point. They did the same thing w/some people on I LOVE THE '70s, but at least those people were funny or had something interesting to say.
I was kidding. :wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 27th 2003, 3:57 pm

Megs wrote:I thought Boy George was in a play or musical on Broadway, and was dressed in character. And he thought it makes him look thinner, so he keeps the paint on most of the time, now.
Rosie O'Donnell is one of the people producing a play about Boy George on Broadway (it was playing in the London previously), and he does have a cameo on the play but I'm pretty sure the freaky make-up is just Boy George being Boy George.

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Oct 27th 2003, 8:28 pm

Megs wrote:
ducksqueak wrote:
I was kidding. :wink:
I know and that's why I said that I understood your point. If I was on the show, I would still get to talk about the later years and things I remembered.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 28th 2003, 1:27 pm

I can't wait for this one to air:
http://www.lowculture.com/archives/000201.html

:D
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 28th 2003, 3:21 pm

Haha, that is hilarious! "Friendster is the Pet Rock of six months ago."

:lol:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 28th 2003, 6:26 pm

andrewgd wrote:I can't wait for this one to air:
http://www.lowculture.com/archives/000201.html

:D
:lol: :lol:

That is hilarious!

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 30th 2003, 12:03 am

If I had a knife, I would stab Michael Ian Black.

That is all.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)