Ripper Spinoff - anyone know?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Ripper Spinoff - anyone know?

Post by mglenn » May 20th 2003, 1:29 pm

Has there been any news on the Giles spinoff of Buffy?
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 2:05 pm

In one of the myriad of articles that have come out in the past few weeks, Joss said something to the effect that he is taking a big fat break right now, which translates to no Ripper for the time being.

:(

Remember though that Joss is one of those highly creative energetic people. I give him less than a year before he is back in business!

ETA: excerpt from a recent JW interview
Now that Buffy’s over, will there be any spinoffs?
There are, apart from Angel, no spinoffs in the works right now. I think it’s a very likely possibility but there isn’t anything happening right now. We all just kind of want to bask and relax.

What about the Watcher spin-off? You’re doing it as a standalone movie instead of a series?
You know, I wanted to do something on the BBC. We talked about a two-hour pilot. We talked about some episodes. We talked about a two hour movie. It’s gone through a lot of things but the one conclusion I’ve come to is if I do something, I’ll do it not as a setup so much as a story about Giles. I realized that like Angel, you can use it as a premise perhaps to build something about ghost stories and that would be fine. What I’m interested in is the character that Tony plays. Not some mystery he might solve and that’s sort of a paradigm shift in what I might do. but I’m still very invested in the Ripper story.
source
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 20th 2003, 2:13 pm

candygirl wrote:In one of the myriad of articles that have come out in the past few weeks, Joss said something to the effect that he is taking a big fat break right now, which translates to no Ripper for the time being.

:(

Remember though that Joss is one of those highly creative energetic people. I give him less than a year before he is back in business!
One of the quotes I stumbled across lately Joss was asked what he was going to do now and he said:

"I'm going to sleep now"

Dude is probably worn out, but I'm with Candy give him a good six months off and he will probably be itching to get another series going.

Best,

Lance Man