So, anyone else hooked on Surf Girls...?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

So, anyone else hooked on Surf Girls...?

Post by fnordboy » May 20th 2003, 2:22 am

Well I watched the first episode when it premiered last week because it came after the Road Rules/Real World Battle of the Sexes and was instantly hooked. Here is the link for the show incase you don't know about it.

I am pretty upset that TWoP is not doing a recap of this :( I am hooked on their Sorority Life and Fraternity Life recaps now (thanks candygirl :P ). So i figure if there is anyone else here who is hooked we can discuss it here.

And goddamnit I hate the Donnas. :puke:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 2:25 am

I avoided the first ep of Surf Girls in the hopes of having an MTV-free summer...but my boyfriend was watching it! I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time (say, a week) until I get hooked too - especially after Buffy & 24 wrap up tomorrow night.

The TWoP recap for last week's American Idol is just beyond words. I swear I would have quit watching that damn show if it wasn't for Shack!

:hammer1:

(and how big of a surprise was it that the guys won RR/RW? Ummmm, not at all!)
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 20th 2003, 9:17 am

Guilty. :oops:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 25th 2003, 10:08 pm

Yup, I'm guilty as well. I would love to learn to surf! Have these chicks got the life or what????
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 27th 2003, 2:40 pm

Okay, I got all caught up on this show over the weekend just for you guys!

:wink:

My first thought - Jenna is a biatch! I disliked her from the first episode and now, just a few episodes later, my feelings have been validated. It's kind of fun to play Find the Bitch during the first episode of any reality show, especially Bunim-Murray productions.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 27th 2003, 3:16 pm

I thought Neva would be the show bitch. Too bad she left early.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 27th 2003, 3:18 pm

Yes Jenna is definitely the bitch. But the one who snitched last night (still don't have all their names down) may be running a close second in the bitch category.

I didn't like Jenna since day one because she looks too much like Genesis (Real World) and her name is too similar. I know stupid reason, but allow me my quirks damnit!

I am personally rooting for Robin, don't know why her in particular. Originally wanted Neva to go all the way with it (of course she leaves in the first round :roll: ) I thought she would be a great person to have around for the whole show since she hated everyone right off the bat :twisted: , always makes for good TV. My second choice was Aimee, but alas she left too. She just seemed to deserve it IMO.

Who are you guys going for?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 27th 2003, 3:19 pm

Actually when I saw Neva and Jenna meowing at each other in the van during the first episode, I thought that MTV had great conflict potential. Once Neva left, I thought maybe Jenna would be able to get along with everyone else. Glad to say she proved me wrong!

I initially thought that Neva was more unfriendly than outwardly bitchy, but then she showed it's possible to be BOTH. I don't blame her for being irritated with the girls (because honestly, a bunch of 18-20 year old girls all squealing can be annoying) but she really made no effort to get to know them. On top of that, she just gave up and decided to go home. If anyone gave me a free trip to Australia, I would be all over that even if I didn't like the other girls. Talk about a wasted opportunity - some other girl who really wanted to be there could have had her spot (you know, from the THOUSANDS of girls they say they sifted through).

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 3rd 2003, 2:29 pm

Anyone else watch last night's episode fo Surf Girls?

As the shows air it is becoming more and more clear that Jenna is the Queen Bitch of this series. Everytime she opens her mouth she surprises me. Last night was no exception.

When she [spoiler] showed her obvious unhappiness that Katie did not have to go home[/spoiler] I was surprised. It's really funny since she is the "nicest" looking person there (not meaning good looking) , I just assumed she would be the real innocent and girl bonding one. Maybe that is just her resemblence to Genesis that makes me think that, since she was such a cool girl. But I think the innocent one is either Molly or the Hawaiian girl ...can't remember her name.

I am disliking Heidi more and more each episode. I always hated her albino look, and she looks like some kid i went to grammar school with that I hated :lol:. I don't see her as being as stuck up as some of the other girls think she is, but there is evidence of an air of superiority just because she is sponsored by Roxy already (which I guess is where Jenna's bitchiness comes from).

Well I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it so:

[spoiler]
I am getting sick of MTV not commiting and sending girls home. I can see it happening every now and then but it has happened atleast as much as they have sent girls home. They need to stop it and make the show a bit more competetive. Each week these girls are going to think they can slack off and get by a bit since there is a good chance that they wont be sent home. [/spoiler]

Also, I don't think I mentioned it before in this thread, but Vivian not being sent home last week was really bad IMO. I think the MTV producers stepped in and said "hey she likes to party, this could be good for internal fighting, which means good ratings."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 3rd 2003, 2:48 pm

I missed last week's episode, so last night when they were going down the rankings I was shocked that no one was sent home - WTF?

Jenna has such a terrible attitude - if she thinks that Katie is such a terrible surfer and that Katie will never be a professional surfer, why does she care if someone that sucky is still on the show? If Jenna truly believes that she (Jenna) is awesome and Katie sucks, then there should be no competition between them. It's kind of like an A student getting mad at an F student - it makes no sense. Then again, maybe Jenna realizes that the gap between her and Katie isn't as big as she claims. I didn't notice the Genesis resemblance until you mentioned it, but you're right!

I never liked Heidi either. I know this is REALLY superficial, but from the first episode, I just didn't like the way that she talks (hey, my boss used to reject resumes if he didn't like the paper so I'm not THAT weird). It wasn't so much her albino appearance as the way her voice grated on my ears. Then it just got worse when I started listening to what she was actually saying. ITA with their assessment of the mock press conference - Heidi is already sponsored so she should have done a LOT better. It's not like they asked for her views on Japan's foreign policy. As far as the other girls, I think that your assessment of her "air of superiority" is WHY the other girls think she is so stuck up. I think that some of them are intimidated by her experience, but her attitude doesn't help matters.

I think the girl from Hawaii is named Kula. I like her, but her voice bugs me too. Maybe this is a result of too much Dr. Drew, but when adult females speak in a high pitched baby voice, I always wonder what their problem is and why they believe that they have to be small and cute in order to be attractive and accepted.

And what did you think of April crying about how she wants to do better, etc. after she dropped in on Kula?

A quote from Weird Science sums up a lot of what's going on with the surf girls: "Bitches, man. Bitches."

MEOW!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 3rd 2003, 3:13 pm

candygirl wrote:And what did you think of April crying about how she wants to do better, etc. after she dropped in on Kula?
That girl is such a friggin beast :lol:, I felt bad for Kula (you are right that is her name), she was up first so April should have backed down. Back when I use to skate only the real douchebags would snake you on the ramps, so to me that tells me a lot about her.

I wasn't happy that Kula was kind of blaming herself for it, but i did like that she snuck that little jab in the end of her camera talking segment. :twisted:

Heidi's press conference was retarded. Plain and simple. She should have decent experience in this so for her to choke so badly is just a sign that she is not cut out for this quite yet. Way too immature. Granted a press conference means nothign with your ability to surf, but she hasn't been showing much in the water at all IMO. (not that I know a damn thing about surfing lol).

I think she is definitely feeling nervous about everyone else being better than her or as good as her. I think she is use to surfing with a bunch of girls/guys that are beneath her (not in contest settings) talentwise and that is where her superiority comes from. She just seems like that type of person. ANd yes I hate how she talks...but that goes for almost everyone of the girls...*especially* molly.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 3rd 2003, 3:46 pm

I agree - Heidi seems like she is used to being top dog at the local beach and now she feels threatened by the prospect of having some unsponsored nobodies pass her by.

You are right that the press conference has little to do with surfing, but since athletes are expected to at least say a few words after a competition, it makes sense that they want the girls to at least be coherent enough to answer simple questions. You know, like, "Who taught you to surf?"

Despite the fact that many athletes claim they don't want to be role models, young girls will look up to these contestants on Surf Girls so I don't think it's wildly inappropriate that their public speaking skills are put to the test in such a minor, informal way. The fact that Heidi just stood up there and giggled is an indication of her poise and her ability to act gracefully under pressure (or lack thereof).

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 4th 2003, 12:36 am

Hark! It's "Blue Crush: The Series"! Babes ahoy!

Dammit, if this stuff is popular, I'm going to pitch a "Coyote Ugly" series to MTV. Check this out: twelve hot chicks with less than 3% body fat and +/- 2% plastic (botox not applicable) battle it out in some of Manhattan's toughest bars as they learn how to tend bar, juggle bottles, keep the peace from unruly drunk Surf Girls fans, dance the bar tops, and to top it all off, go for the top prize of $250,000.

It has everything - girls, attitude, room for the conflicted person with the alternate lifestyle or minority, and the constant chance that a catfight will erupt. Oh, and alcohol and men gaping.

If that's not MTV, I don't know what is. :D

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 4th 2003, 1:22 am

I would totally watch that - because if there's anything better than young hot chicks, it's DRUNK young hot chicks at a bar! Wait, bartenders aren't supposed to drink on the job, right? Damn.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 4th 2003, 11:49 am

candygirl wrote:Wait, bartenders aren't supposed to drink on the job, right? Damn.
They would on my show. Makes for even more conflict.

Gary