Seinfeld on DVD

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Seinfeld on DVD

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 13th 2003, 7:36 pm

From tvshowsondvd.com:
The Seinfeld TV series is finally being prepared for a DVD release, according to co-creator/star Jerry Seinfeld. In the May issue of VB sister publication DVD Exclusive (formerly DVD Premiers), Seinfeld says he is helping to create interviews and commentaries and dig up the annual season-ending gag reels that could be included as extras. Seinfeld will be on The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno, On the Record With Bob Costas, and Live With Regis and Kelly May 14-19 to promote the Miramax DVD of his theatrical documentary Comedian, which he produced and loaded with extras. He said the decision and timing of the Seinfeld series on DVD is in the hands of Columbia parent Sony Pictures, which owns distribution rights. Sources at Sony and CTHE said it's not a question of if it will come out, but when.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

seinfeld

Post by lance » May 14th 2003, 10:00 am

I am not a fan of Seinfeld. But I know tons of people who are. Great news for Seinfeld fans.

Candygirl, thanks for the update.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 15th 2003, 4:29 am

Interview with Seinfeld regarding the DVDs available here

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 1st 2004, 4:13 am

Info from tvshowsondvd:
After months of negotiations and public outrage, the remaining cast members have signed on to the Seinfeld DVD set. The Globe and Mail features an exclusive interview with Jason Alexander in today's paper, and it's worth reading.

The situation has brought up a number of issues regarding payment for DVD participation and back-end residuals - information that isn't usually made public. Fans can rest easy knowing that all 4 cast members will be included on the DVDs. Just a reminder - the set should be out around Christmas, 2004 (a specific date isn't known at this time).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 1st 2004, 4:35 am

The latest from tvshowsondvd:
Back on the 20th, we posted some great news about Seinfeld coming to DVD. Now we've gotten some more information that's sure to be of interest.

The other day reader Gian C. Mignone wrote us with this interesting story:
I was at the Best Buy at the Mall of Georgia here in north metro Atlanta. There were 2 gentlemen from a survey company taking a survey on the Seinfeld DVDs. All the packaging indicated Seasons 1 & 2 on 4 discs.

They had 4 samples of the outside packaging, 4 samples of each of the 4 DVD jewel boxes in the packaging and some samples of the labels. They also had samples of potential gifts to be included. The gift choices were bobblehead dolls, coffee cup set, chinese soup bowls, and a picture frame. They asked all the standard questions about which I liked and why.

They also asked about Larry Sanders!?!

I got a Spiderman 2 Tee Shirt for my time.
Jealous? Well, if you don't mind missing out on the t-shirt, then you too can take part in this survey! Another reader, Neil Bradley, wrote in to say that this link to the on-line survey was posted over at the UseNet newsgroup "alt.tv.seinfeld". I took the survey, and saw the four sample box covers Gian was talking about. I grabbed shots of these for you to see, plus a close-up of the sticker with all the Bonus Features described on it (click here to view pictures of the packaging and the gifts).

The survey also asks, like the one Gian described, about potential gifts to be included in the Seasons 1 & 2/Season 3 Gift Set that we described in our last news item. However, in the online version of the survey, there were 8 different possible gifts to express your likes and dislikes over:

Salt and pepper shaker in the shape of a Ketchup ("Red Sun of Krypton") and Mustard ("Yellow Sun of Earth") bottle on opposite sides of a napkin dispenser.

Picture frame with Monk's Café, where the gang ate their meals, around the edges.

Playing cards in a tin container that have the different characters on each card.

Set of bobble heads of each of the four Seinfeld characters.

Set of four "Party of Four" Chinese soup bowls.

Limited Edition Seinfeld script which includes original handwritten notes from head writer and co-creator Larry David.

Coffee cup set of four which has images of each cast member on the bottom of the cup with images from the show on the saucer.

Tin intercom that plays memorable sound bites from Seinfeld.

When you're done taking the survey, it will take you next to the Sony Seinfeld Home Page. There you'll see a "Seinfeld - DVD Coming Soon" button in the upper left...in case you needed yet another reminder that these are on the way!

Not enough? Don't worry, you can see a live sneak peek in just a couple of weeks. On June 15th the film 50 First Dates arrives on DVD. This Columbia TriStar release contains a teaser trailer for Seinfeld. Thanks to a reader who calls himself "PurpleMan", we managed to get these 4 shots of the trailer in action, showing off some of the supplements described above in the "Bonus Features" sticker we pictured. If 50 First Dates isn't to your taste, then look for the same teaser trailer in July's release of Hellboy on DVD.

Seinfeld - Seasons 1 & 2 will be out on DVD in November (18 episodes, 4 discs, $49.95 SRP). On the exact same day you'll be able to buy Seinfeld - Season 3 (22 episodes, 4 discs, $49.95 SRP). And both boxsets will be combined together into a gift set packaged with one (1) of the gifts, probably chosen from those pictured above ($129.95 SRP). We don't have exact release dates yet, but we're watching for them

Each release will be packaged in individual "thinpak" slim cases for each disc, within an outer slipcase of either plastic or board (probably chosen from the designs pictured above). Extras will include participation from all four major cast members, plus Larry David and others. The video is being remastered in high definition. And the studio is treating this like a major motion picture's home video debut, with world-wide release, major publicity events, and more. I think it will be hard for fans to find anything to be disappointed with on these releases!

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jun 12th 2004, 12:44 am

Yowzer!!

And I see the Larry Sanders set isn't dead yet. Sweet.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 6th 2004, 5:24 pm

Tvshowsondvd posted the official press release!
THE MOST ANTICIPATED TV-TO-DVD OF ALL TIME IS ANYTHING BUT NOTHING!
SEINFELD: THE FIRST THREE SEASONS

"The #1 Show of All Time"** Never Looked So Good All 40 Episodes, Now in High Definition, Available November 23 in Two Individual Volumes or as a Deluxe Gift Set

Approximately 24 Hours of Bonus Features from the Creative Forces Behind the Show Include All-New Documentaries, Interviews and Commentaries with Jerry, Larry David, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards and Jason Alexander, Deleted Scenes, Gag Reels and More

Culver City, Calif., August 6, 2004 -- Considered one of the most innovative, popular and successful TV comedy series of all time and now the most anticipated TV-to-DVD ever, Seinfeld, the show about nothing, finally debuts on DVD November 23 - newly enhanced in high definition. Seinfeld will be available from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment in two volumes or as a deluxe holiday Gift Set (not to be "re-gifted"), which includes a limited edition script with handwritten notes from Larry David, exclusive "Monk's Diner" salt & pepper shakers and collectible playing cards. Volumes 1 and 2 will be sold individually at the suggested list price of $49.95 each and the gift set at $119.95.

Seinfeld will look and sound better than ever. To provide the best picture and sound quality possible, Castle Rock Entertainment, which produced the show, returned to the original film elements and spent many months digitally remastering every episode in high definition; the original analog audio tracks went through a similar process. Seinfeld: Volume 1 includes all 18 episodes of seasons one and two on four discs and Seinfeld: Volume 2, also on four discs, includes all 22 episodes from season three. Each volume will be loaded with approximately 12 hours of exclusive special features from the creative talents behind the show, including a full-length documentary, extensive creator, cast and production commentaries, bloopers, deleted scenes, exclusive never-before-seen Jerry Seinfeld stand-up comedy footage and trivia pertinent to each season. Both releases feature the original NBC network versions, 1-2 minutes longer than the syndicated versions and not seen since their original broadcast runs. Additionally, Volume 1 features two versions of the original pilot episode.

Gregory M. Paul, President and Chief Operating Officer of Castle Rock, said, "We are thrilled to see the show looking so terrific in this remarkable new DVD release. I'm confident it will satisfy the show's loyal fans as well as bring in a whole new generation of viewers."

Said Seinfeld executive producer Howard West, "This is something George [Shapiro, also a Seinfeld exec producer] and I never could have imagined when the show began. To have this opportunity to go back, restore the elements, revive Jerry's unused stand-up, bring the talent back to chat about the show and then see the original episodes with high-definition images has been a thrill for all of us. I think we've more than met the challenge of DVD and have made every effort to stay true to the essence of Jerry's unique brand of comedy which has become so deeply a part of mainstream American culture."

Benjamin Feingold, President of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment noted, "We're delighted to be working with the Castle Rock team and the Seinfeld creators on this DVD release which we expect to become the #1 TV-to-DVD of all time. We're particularly happy for the fans, who have inundated us with an overwhelming number of letters and e-mails in recent years, indicating this is the title for which they've waited the longest."

About Seinfeld
Seinfeld, which aired on NBC for nine years, focuses on four single friends living in New York. At the core of the group is Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld), a stand-up comedian whose professional path includes a shot at creating a network sitcom, a guest spot on the "Today" show, a wealth of other experiences gone awry and a personal life rife with an endless parade of never-quite-right girlfriends. His childhood best friend, George Costanza (Jason Alexander), could be deemed the quintessential loser: he can never hold on to a job or a girlfriend; although he has more than enough schemes for trying to make both happen. Jerry's ex, Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) offers her own string of bad dates and worrisome workplace sagas. And lastly, there's curiously-coiffed Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards) -- Jerry's over-the-top, offbeat and often mysterious neighbor, with no visible means of support and an uncanny knack for opening doors to opportunities he has no business being near

One only has to mention Superman or the Soup Nazi, Jujyfruits or Junior Mints, Festivus or Manziers or Low- or Close-Talkers to be reminded of the show's peerless plots, quips and characters. Seinfeld was also noted for coining many phrases that have since come into commonplace usage: "Master of your domain," "Yada, yada, yada," "Sponge-worthy," "Not that there's anything wrong with that," "Double-dipping," "Re-gifting" and "manhands," among countless others.

Seinfeld changed the landscape of TV forever, leaving the air in 1998 as the number one Nielsen-rated show in both comedy and drama. Nominated for an incredible 57 Emmy Awards®, Seinfeld won a total of 13, including Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. TV Guide ranked it #1 on its list of "50 Greatest Shows of All Time."

The Extra Features
Each Volume contains the following extra features, tailored to the episodes included in the particular set.

* Inside Looks: Interviews with the cast and creators about what was happening behind the scenes as the episodes were created and filmed.
* Yada Yada Yada: Audio commentaries from the cast remembering the making of these episodes.
* In the Vault: Saved from the cutting room floor... deleted scenes - never seen!
* Not That There's Anything Wrong With That: Never-before-seen-outtakes and bloopers.
* Master of His Domain: See Jerry in exclusive stand-up comedy footage, shot for the show but never used.
* Sponsored by Vandelay Industries: Original NBC promotional ads and trailers.
* Notes About Nothing: Behind-the-scenes scoop and production notes.
Additional features include:

VOLUME 1

* How It Began: An hour-long look at how Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David first came up with the idea for the show, how it almost didn't get made and how they emerged with the show that changed the face of television forever.
* Tonight Show Footage
VOLUME 2

* Kramer vs. Kramer: Kenny to Cosmo: If you thought Cosmo Kramer was hilarious, wait until you meet the real Kramer, Kenny Kramer!

Seinfeld is produced by Shapiro/West Productions in association with Castle Rock Entertainment, a Time Warner Company. Larry David, George Shapiro and Howard West serve as executive producers of the series. Seinfeld is distributed by Sony Pictures Television.

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. SPE is a division of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2004, 1:26 am

You can now view pictures of the cover art and gift set here and here, and you can view the pictures on the individual slipcases here. I'm a little curious as to why they are using pictures from much later seasons for the S1-S2 and S3 sets, but other than that, looks good!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 24th 2004, 10:28 pm

tvshowsondvd is reporting that the Seinfeld website now has a list of which episodes will have commentary tracks:
Volume 1
The Stake Out - Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld
The Busboy - Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards
The Baby Shower - Larry Charles
The Heart Attack - Larry Charles
The Revenge - Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards
The Deal - Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld

Volume 2
The Library - Larry Charles
The Pen - Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld
The Parking Garage - Tom Cherones and Tom Azzari
The Subway - Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards
The Boyfriend - Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards
The Pez Dispenser - Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld
The Limo - Larry Charles
The Parking Space - Tom Cherones and Tom Azzari

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 5th 2005, 11:11 pm

Info on S4 from tvshowsondvd:
Not too long ago we posted an update on Seinfeld - Vol 3: Season 4. We told you that the studio, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, would announce the et in mid-March, and at that time would reveal the street date, pricing, and other details. The specific announcement date is now firmed up as March 14th.

Well, online retailer DVDPlanet.com has let the cat out of the bag early, we see. Today they added a pre-order listing for the 4th Season set of Seinfeld. In it, the reveal a street date of May 17th for the USA. They show a 4-DVD set running 552 minutes. They also selling advance orders currently right now for just $27.97, based on a $39.95 SRP. Get your pre-orders in now though, folks, because we know for a fact that the SRP shown there is a bit low, and will probably be revised soon.

And that's all we'll say for now! We're not going to spill any new beans, just relay what a major online source is already making public about the set. The information is already spreading across the internet fast, so we figured we shouldn't be left out! But we'll otherwise abide by Sony's announcement date, and bring you the rest of the information in 10 days. Stay tuned!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 12th 2005, 3:49 am

Info on the S4 release from tvshowsondvd:
Just a week ago, we passed along info from a pre-order listing at DVDPlanet.com which revealed much of the information about the May 17th release of Seinfeld - Vol 3: Season 4. Now the e-tailer has posted box art for the title as well, and we are relaying that to you as well; you can see it below. Additionally, yesterday's issue of USAToday has posted a "Life" section news bit in their "Digest" column, telling even more people about the release. Here's a quote:
More 'Seinfelds' to enter DVD domain

Seinfeld fans won't be the master of their video domain without the Seinfeld Season Four DVD set ($50), due May 17. The four-disc set includes all 24 episodes from the 1993-1994 season, including "The Contest," "The Bubble Boy" and "The Junior Mint." Says series executive producer (and lead producer of the DVD) Howard West: "We really hit our stride (that season). The network stopped bouncing us around. It may be the finest season of any sitcom ever." Many of the phrases from that season's episodes "are in the vernacular," West says. Among them: "Master of your domain" and "Not that there's anything wrong with that." The set includes about 13 hours of bonus features, including new interviews with the cast.
Our thanks to reader "Alyssa" for letting us know about that. Next Monday we expect to have a complete announcement...if anything is left to reveal by then, that is! Stay tuned for that.
Click here to view the cover art.

golden1
Tino

Post by golden1 » Apr 7th 2005, 2:55 am

Im a big Seinfeld Fan!. Wasn't the cast supposed to meet up and do a special episode on there last aniversary? Well maybe I missed it. Can't wait till summer :P, Ill go on my Dvd buying rampage...I try to get my hands on the MSCL boxset too, it is something that should be treasured.