the Family Guy

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

the Family Guy

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 1st 2003, 1:18 pm

I just bought the Family Guy DVD set a few nights ago. I have only watched three episodes so far, but there seems to be a lot of stuttering - not outright freezing, but noticeable blips (or "be-bopping and scatting all over" as George Costanza would say). Is this just the way the show transferred to DVD or am I doomed? I am afraid that everything I bought at CostCo the other night (including Who Framed Roger Rabbit) is cursed!!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 2nd 2003, 1:29 pm

I borrowed disc 4 from a friend of mine to see if it is worth a purchase from me (no, it isnt IMO) but had no problems.

It seems like either something is wrong with the CyberHome, or this is another disc it doesnt like, or Costco did something very weird with the DVDs you purchased.

Try it on a different player.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 3rd 2003, 5:17 pm

Any show that parodies Annie and Dirty Dancing in a single episode gets an A in my book!

And the MSCL connection - Lisa Wilhoit voiced Meg in an episode! :wink: (disclosure - she played the "replacement Meg" in the episode where the Griffins did a reality show - she even did a little Rayanne parody saying, "I hope I don't pop out of my top!")

Lacey Chabert from Party of Five and Mila Kunis of That 70s Show voiced the real Meg.

:D

I did find some reviews of the DVDs and found that other people complained about the same problems I had, so I don't know if I should feel better that it isn't just me or worse that it's the actual DVD.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 12:30 am

Judging by the lack of response to this thread, I think that I might be the only person here who likes this show but I'll got out on a limb and just share that the volume 2 release will be on September 9.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 2nd 2003, 2:15 am

candygirl wrote:Judging by the lack of response to this thread, I think that I might be the only person here who likes this show but I'll got out on a limb and just share that the volume 2 release will be on September 9.

LOL :lol:

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Jun 2nd 2003, 6:57 am

I actually am a HUGE fan of the show. My boyfriend turned me on to it. My fave parody is probably where Ronald McDonald calls his daughter a whore. I also like when Peter tells Lois "Hey remember that time I pretended to be gay," and his "gay" activity was watching Caroline in the City and the theme song is really fruity. Only on Family Guy.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 2nd 2003, 6:28 pm

When a friend had her first kid last year I immediately began reciting:

"You wretched harpy! You've done nothing but foil my plans ever since I escaped your ovarian Bastille!"
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 2nd 2003, 6:33 pm

Nostradamus wrote:When a friend had her first kid last year I immediately began reciting:

"You wretched harpy! You've done nothing but foil my plans ever since I escaped your ovarian Bastille!"
See this is what kills me about this show. Things like that are hilarious. And generally when someone tells me about a scene or joke from the show I find it funny. But, when I watch it, I just can not get into it and rarely laugh.

but that line is hilarious. <sigh>

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 2nd 2003, 6:41 pm

fnordboy wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:When a friend had her first kid last year I immediately began reciting:

See this is what kills me about this show. Things like that are hilarious. And generally when someone tells me about a scene or joke from the show I find it funny. But, when I watch it, I just can not get into it and rarely laugh.

but that line is hilarious. <sigh>
Actually ITA with that -- I never could quite get the hang of Family Guy, but I do appreciate those occasional gems.

<shrug>
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 24th 2003, 6:10 pm

News from tvshowsondvd:
When Gord Lacey created TVShowsOnDVD just over 2 years ago, one of his goals was to help get Family Guy put onto DVD...a sentiment I shared with him completely! Now, seven months after seeing this dream realized with the first of two Family Guy DVD releases, we are now seeing a new phenomenon that neither of us anticipated: the idea that TV-on-DVD releases might actually get this cancelled show renewed once more!

In a stunning new USA Today article by Gary Levin, it is reported that 'Family Guy' may return, based on the very strong sales of the series on DVD. We encourage you to read the article in its entirety, by clicking on that link. However, here are the related portions from it:

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

...A decision to restart the show suggests a reversal from the old TV business model, in which a network hit predicts a profit windfall in syndication. This time, the promise of DVD and syndication gold could justify a show's return even if low network ratings didn't.

Again, this is some stunning and very wonderful news! We thank Michael DeGraw for letting us know about the article. Although there had been some discussion of a straight-to-DVD Family Guy feature as a result of the interest in the show on DVD, we had no inkling whatsoever that it might actually lead to a revival of the weekly broadcasts! While the article correctly points out that this revival is an easier feat for an animated show, since "it can simply be drawn back into existence", the fact that this move is being considered at all demonstrates the power of DVD sales of TV Shows. We're delighted here, and we hope that all of you are, too.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 24th 2003, 7:45 pm

wow what strange and woderful news. Thanks for the info Candygirl. Is Family Guy the show that just won't die? I'm delighted that the show even possibly could return. I think the network saying the show aired before it's time is a bit of a copout though. I think that if the show had ever had a regular time slot and proper promotion the show would have been a success long ago. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though, I'm rarely pleased with network decisions. More family guy would be a truly great thing.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 27th 2003, 8:16 pm

Even though I'm not a big FG fan I do find that revival news heartening, as there have been a few rumors of Invader Zim making a comeback. If the dvd sales do well and FG goes through, who knows?

:idea:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 27th 2005, 10:08 pm

Not a huge fan, but I am glad that it is coming back.

American Dad is kinda of interesting too.

-LanceMan

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Re: the Family Guy

Post by Tish » Dec 12th 2009, 2:09 am

who do you think is dumber...peter griffin or homer simpson? :shock:
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"