The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week - by Kim

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2006, 6:05 am

Not from the now defunct TMATISOTTW, but I did find a MSCL reference by the girls at Go Fug Yourself (an offshoot from TWoP which seemed to make this thread the right place!) while covering the Marc Jacobs show at New York Fashion Week:
And [the show] did start late, of course, which we hear is de rigueur for Mr. Jacobs. And while "late" is one thing, it's something else entirely, don't you think, when — presumably to kill time — Jared Leto gets out of his seat and starts entertaining the bleachers in his section by randomly tossing items out of his pocket to showgoers. If they're smart, the recipients of his generosity will unload that lint and spare change to crazed Jordan Catalano fans on eBay for big money.
You can see a photo of Jared Leto with Stephen Baldwin (!) at the Marc Jaobs show here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 15th 2006, 7:42 pm

You can see a photo of Jared Leto with Stephen Baldwin (!) at the Marc Jaobs show here.
Ewww, they both look gross in that picture.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 15th 2006, 8:29 pm

ewww
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 5th 2006, 4:13 am

TWoP's poll this week:
With the Christmas specials upon us, what's your favorite "special holiday episode" TV convention?
The A Christmas Carol rip-off - 15%

The It's a Wonderful Life rip-off - 15%

The Miracle on 34th Street rip-off - 2%

The "Jesus is the reason for the season" lesson - 3%

The "It's better to give than to receive" lesson - 4%

The "There's no place like home for the holidays" lesson - 9%

The "Guitar-playing teen angel helps you and your mom care about the homeless, and rescue your embattled gay friend" episode - 49%

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 5th 2006, 10:30 pm

MSCL references never get old. :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 26th 2007, 3:21 am

From TWoP's Scott Baio Is 45...And Kicking Off A New VH1 Franchise:
Why do ex-celebrities agree to appear in series created as part of VH1's "Celebreality" programming block when the whole reason they're even approached to do them in the first place is because they're kitschy punchlines? ...Well, probably because they think they'll be the one to buck the trend. Or they don't care if America laughs at them if it means they might end up married to a past winner of America's Next Top Model. Anyway, we can't speculate as to what made Scott Baio Is 45...And Single happen (though we imagine low self-esteem had something to do with it); however, we can -- and do -- speculate about what other ex-stars VH1 has in its sights for future Celebreality outings in the Baio mold.

Soleil Moon Frye Is 31...And Illiterate

Charlie Korsmo Is 29...And Owns So Many Firearms That The Authorities Have Him On A Watch List

Jonathan Lipnicki Is 17...And Spends Way Too Much Time With His Dog

Macaulay Culkin Is 26...With No Credit Rating

Mara Wilson Is 19...And Never Learned How To Swim

Melissa Joan Hart Is 31...And Has A Clutter Problem

Wil Wheaton Is 35...And Has Never Touched A Girl's Boob

Tina Yothers Is 34...And Is Not Meeting Her 7 Items To A Bag Quota

Jonathan Taylor Thomas Is 26...And Balding

Clint Howard Is 48...And Reeks Of Hemp

Gary Coleman Is 39. Seriously, He Is.

Tracey Gold Is 38...And Picking Up Trash On A Highway Median Near Modesto

Devon Odessa Is 33...And Battling Aphids

Tempestt Bledsoe Is 33...And Cutting Back To Half A Pack A Day

Nicholle Tom Is 29...And Regretting That Pint Of Ben & Jerry's

David Faustino Is 33...And Too Old For Frosted Tips

David Duchovny Is 47...And Still Married To Tea Léoni

Haley Joel Osment Is 19...And Looks Like James Van Der Beek

James Van Der Beek Is 30...And Is James Van Der Beek

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jul 27th 2007, 8:59 pm

Will Wheaton & James Vanderbeek - hilarious!!! :lol:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 15th 2007, 1:31 am

From this week's recap of The Hills:
Audrina meets Justin for their date. And...I may need coffee myself if I'm to accurately convey this guy. He looks like Jared Leto playing a grunged-out parody of himself on Entourage. He looks like if Keanu and River Phoenix conceived a child during the My Own Private Idaho shoot and he's now of age. He looks like a low-rent male stripper in character as Eddie Vedder. He looks awesome, is what I'm saying. I hope he's around all season.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 19th 2007, 4:05 pm

From the High School Musical recap:
Inside, a snooty blonde looks at her GenericBerry as the world's most effeminate high-school boy toodles along beside her, smashing all the progress Rickie Vasquez ever made as he goes.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 29th 2007, 12:14 am

so I just read a MSCL reference. I looked, but don't think it's been made before on here. it made me chuckle. it's from a Chuck Klosterman book entitled Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs and is basically a series of essays on the culture of today's america. he is making the point here that romantic films have ruined the love lives of everyone into thinking that our best friends are our soul mates:
Whether it's Jerry Maguire, or Sixteen Candles, or Who's the Boss or Some Kind of Wonderful or Speed Racer, we are constantly reminded that the unattainable icons of perfection we lust after can never fulfill us like the platonic allies who have been there all along. If we all took media message at their face value, we'd all be sleeping with our best friends. The notable exceptions being Vertigo (where the softhearted Barbara Bel Geddes gets jammed by sexpot Kim Novak) and My So-Called Life (where poor Brian Krakow never got any play, even though Jordan Catalano couldn't f**king read).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week - by Kim

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 9th 2007, 3:38 am

TWoP is now recapping The Office from the very beginning! From the first recap:
At reception, Jim prods Pam to go out with everybody for drinks later. Just then, Roy comes obstructing into the room, at which point Pam THs that he's been her fiancé for three years. She says this with the necessary figurative fingers in her ears and the sound of humming. She figures they'll get married in the spring. Well, sure! She tells Roy she wants to go out with the work crowd (meaning with Jim, really, because...does she have other friends in the office?), but Roy squashes the idea, telling her they're going home. She grudgingly tells him she has to do her faxes. Jim and Roy are left standing at reception, both facing the ghost of Pam. Jim weakly tries to convince Roy to come along to the bar, but Roy clearly doesn't do anything that isn't what Roy wants to do, so he shuts Jim down without looking at him. Jim has his Krakow moment, thinking to himself that "if you, like, analyze why certain people end up with certain other people, it'll make you want to kill yourself," which is, incidentally, one of my favorite lines in television history. And it only gets truer as I get older.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2008, 4:51 am

From the most recent Gossip Girl recap:
Vanessa stands up to tell Rufus to stop -- playing his own guitar in his own house -- because she's got her own creative outlets to pursue -- in Rufus's house, which is not her house, because she lives on the streets, by her wits ["don't forget 'in an alley,' like Rayanne Graff" -- Sars] -- and Dan's phone rings, and of course it's Serena, because Dan has no friends, unless you count Vanessa, which I really wish you wouldn't.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 18th 2008, 4:37 am

From Go Fug Yourself:
Fug The Cover: Zac Efron

Sigh. We knew it would happen. It had to eventually. It's a tactic as old as time: Wholesome, cherubic young actor wanders onto the Dark Side for a magazine cover and article, in the hope that the industry will suddenly take him/her super seriously and that it will all lead to an Oscar -- or better, an Oscar gift basket -- magically turning up in his/her hand. Britney, minus the Oscar hope (although Crossroads was REALLY GOOD, people, and she DID have to act the hell out of it in order to convince us she'd never paraded around in her bra in front of a dude before), did that sort of thing on magazine covers all the time back in her heyday. And now it's Zac Efron's turn.

We're all familiar with Zac's floppy-haired, Good Boy, let's-hold-hands-under-the-lunch-table visage; now drink in the brooding, adult version who would really like to defile you in his Camaro and then roll you a cigarette.

"Disney's Boy Wonder" even goes so far as to drop an f-bomb or two in the interview -- you know, just to prove he's got edge, when in fact he generally has all the sharp corners of a Mini Babybel. I also enjoy how the cover-line placement on his shoulder makes it look like his ensemble is supposed to be part of the tips for dressing like a leading man, despite the fact that Zac appears to be squeezed into The Jeans No Man Should Ever Own (in this case, quite possibly women's low-rise skinny-cut).

But really, I think Zac is just trying really hard to convince you, and his agents, and directors, and probably also Disney, that he's secretly someone else. Specifically, this person:

Even Claire Danes is all, "Really, kid? Jordan Catalano? Because I KNOW Jordan Catalano. I've kissed Jordan Catalano. I've angsted over Jordan Catalano. And you, pipsqueak, are no Jordan Catalano."

Which Zac would you pick?

* They're both creepy, frankly. Thanks a lot; now I'm going to have nightmares.
* Original Flavor. He's so cute, and innocent, and clean-looking!
* Zac 2.0: I dig the brooding, slick loner thing on him. I'll soften his pomade any time.
* They're both delicious. He's like a one-man Wakefield Twins. Except male. And possibly prettier.
* It doesn't matter, because in the face of Jordan Catalano, I'm too busy swooning.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2008, 4:03 am

From this week's Gossip Girl recap:
"You're not calling me back, and you're not picking up. I thought you understood me, but maybe I should make myself a little more clear and come to you." Needless to say, that's Georgina talking, getting the crazy eyes even behind her shades. "We can talk about it over coffee. I brought it just the way you like it... dark but sweet." I think Georgina sometimes just says things to sound creepy, like Chuck does. I mean, if you really try to parse that, it's not even that creepy, I mean, it's how Jordan Catalano took his coffee too, a boy who makes Nate Archibald look positively devilish and debonair.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 11th 2008, 6:10 am

From this week's 90210 recap:
Silver then approaches Kelly and proposes an old-school sleepover, saying they could invite Brenda. Perhaps remembering that slumber parties = date rape confessions, Kelly tells Silver that night is a no-go. Unfortunately for Silver, that means she's got an intimate date with the streets. It's totally Ricky Vasquez in My So-Called Life! Except bitchier... and in shorter shorts.
Also, no direct mention of MSCL but the series premiere of Privileged has a pretty familiar opening scene:
As the show opens we see a girl dying her hair in the sink and self-narrating to no one in particular about how clubbing has evolved into an orgy similar to the hedonistic days of Louis XIV. She mentions the Meat Packing district, so it's clear we're set in NYC.

She walks over to her computer and we see that she's video-chatting with some cute boy, going on about this idea and revealing that it's a story she wants to pitch to her boss. OK, so it seems she works at a magazine. She explains that she's dying her hair red because red is bold and she needs to make an impression with her boss if she wants "that promotion."
The only question: is it Crimson Glow?