Alias

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 13th 2003, 1:06 pm

I felt bad for Dixon's wife and understood why she shunned him. At the same time, though, I kept wishing Dixon could bring in Syd to explain why they had to keep their work secret and also how Dixon aided in the final dismantling of SD-6. Then again, having trust betrayed is a serious thing between people who are close, hence Dixon's reaction to Syd's undercover work for the CIA.

As for Marshall, I think he is too funny and I love how he was letting the CIA in on some tricks he knew. He's the comic relief of the show, but he's not so corny that he makes me not want to watch him. I'm glad he's able to work for the good guys now.

When it comes to Sloane, he's been pretty unpredictable lately, so I'm not sure what he might do to Syd. I'm guessing that he might keep her alive and hope to turn her, even though he knows how stubborn she is. After all, he's often said he thinks of her as a daughter and I don't think those sentiments were insincere at the time he made them.

And here's what I posted at The Briefing Room, http://pub14.ezboard.com/fsavelfn69411f ... =678.topic , a spot where we try to discuss each new Alias episode:
I'm not sure what to say about this episode. I really liked seeing Syd and Vaughn wake up together and cracked up when he asked her why she never calls him Michael. Then she calls him Vaughn again. Classic! I do wonder where the writers are going to go, though, as far as their relationship. It's great to finally see them have a chance to be together, but them being lovey dovey all the time could kill the spirit of this show.

I did feel bad for Syd that she is now "trapped" in the CIA. I can see why the CIA wouldn't want to let her go because of her skill as an agent, but Kendall really didn't have to be that ruthless in trying to keep her there. I found it curious that Irina pushed Syd to go. It really made me start to think that Irina was on the good side, but, of course, as soon as we start thinking that is probably when she'll show her true colors.

It figures that Sloane would ruin Syd's graduation day by threatening her life, and I wonder how that threat is going to play out now that she will be driving his getaway car. The man is insane and certainly did cover all his bases on this one. I wonder what kind of weapon he is trying to assemble and if Christian Slater will be back in the next episode.

I must say I was happy to hear the Rambaldi reference come up and I hope to see more of a loose thread running in the episodes, even though we've heard that J.J. Abrams is supposed to be going to more standalone episodes. The show works better for me when there's a bit of an arc playing out.

SPOILERS FOR NEXT WEEK

I can't believe we have another break in episodes. This is killing me. I do hope that after two weeks, we get a nice run of episodes because this show needs to continue building momentum.

Hopefully Vaughn will be able to figure out a way to get to Syd before she is seriously harmed. It figures the CIA would hang her out to dry, especially after Kendall was so forceful about her having to stay in.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 13th 2003, 7:42 pm

I think that Dixon, although against joining the CIA will probably join it, maybe in the episode "Dark Turn", but who knows. I definitely think he will be drawn into the CIA about something so important that his wife won't disagree. Possibly the Rimbaldi device Sloane is building? What is your take on Irina do you think she is helping Sloane, using Sloane, or not involved with Sloane at all? Also do think Will or Vaughn is going to discover Francie's secret first?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 14th 2003, 6:00 am

ITA that Dixon will be drawn to the CIA somehow. If he really didn't care about the country, then he wouldn't have helped Syd take down SD-6. And Sloane is so ruthless that it wouldn't surprise me if he did something to anger Dixon. After all, Dixon was betrayed by Sloane most of all, and he likely would want to take Sloane out if possible.

As for Irina, I'm still not sure what her deal is. She seems more sympathetic now than she did in previous episodes, but I'm hesitant to trust her because of her past. Sark working with Sloane complicates matters because it's not clear if Sark is acting on his own or on behalf of Irina. I suppose this is one of those times we'll just have to wait and see.

When it comes to the fake Francie, it seems possible that Will would catch on quicker than Vaughn simply because Will knows Francie better. Someone needs to out her soon, though, because the imposter is definitely not nailing down her portrayal of Syd's friend too well.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 14th 2003, 10:34 am

The star of Alias, Jennifer Garner, will host Saturday Night Live this week. She's been making the rounds of all of the late night talk shows recently. It looks like ABC is making a big push to keep her show on the air.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 15th 2003, 9:40 pm

I'm glad to see Jennifer Garner getting so much recognition and I am looking forward to seeing her in Daredevil. In the meantime, I'm curious to see how she fares on SNL. I saw her in Dude, Where's My Car? but I don't think she had a chance to show off whether or not she does comedy too well in that one since she was a secondary character. Hopefully there will be some fun spoofs tonight.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 16th 2003, 5:34 pm

Hey NIGHTJESSI have you read the spoilers in 'The Vault' yet for the episode "Dark Turn"? If so what is your take on the Sydney/Vaughn trust situation? Also what is your take on the name for episode 18 "The Truth Takes Time" it seems like it could have a multitude of meanings?

Oh and for everyone who is going to watch Alias, tonight it will not be airing, the next new episodes air on February 23(Episode 16: Firebomb) and March 2 (Episode 17: A Dark Turn).

(Oh and not to confuse everyone I have changed my name from girl_from_texas to chocolatebuttons to Sammi. I'm having a little identity crisis)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 16th 2003, 6:40 pm

I thought Jennifer Garner was very funny in Saturday Night Live. The funniest skit was the "Special Report" from the junior high school dance. It made me think a little bit about the "World Happiness Dance" in MSCL.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 16th 2003, 7:27 pm

"Raaandy Goldman" - that always cracks me up!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 16th 2003, 10:58 pm

So candygirl and TomSpeed have I convinced both of y'all to watch Alias yet?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 16th 2003, 11:08 pm

I can't believe I missed it tonight. Sunday night just isn't a good TV night for me. I might have to start taping it. Jennifer Garner seems like a good actress. And, she is definitely easy on the eyes.
TomSpeed

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 22nd 2003, 12:52 pm

Hi everyone! I am just reminding everyone that a new alias episode is on Sunday night (Feb. 23), Episode 16: Firebomb. It airs at 9 p.m. pacific time, 8 p.m. mountain time, 8 p.m. central time, and 9 p.m. eastern time.

Just some thoughts to ponder until showtime:

Will Sydney escape sloane?
Is Vaughn evil?
Is Will going to discover the true identity of Francie?
Will Irina ever escape her cell in the CIA?
Will Neil Caplan (played by Christian Slater) finish the Rimbaldi device?
Will the Rimbaldi device be activated by Sloane and what will be the consequences if it is activated?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 23rd 2003, 11:11 pm

I finally watched Alias. It rocked! Jennifer Garner -- what can I say about her? I'd have a hard time choosing between her and Claire. Of course, I'll have another DVD to buy probably soon: Alias, Season One.
TomSpeed

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 24th 2003, 3:01 pm

I'm so glad that you liked the show. Buying Season 1 is definitely a good idea. Although season 2 has been pretty good, season 1 is so far the best season. Oh and if you liked last nights episode you will love the rest of the episodes this year because the writers are about to start their four to five episode arc which will lead up to the season finale. If season 2's finale is as good as the season 1 finale I don't know how I will be able to wait a whole summer to see the next season.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 26th 2003, 11:16 pm

The Onion (R) America's Finest News Source (TM) offers a little insight into the brilliance of today's network executives: :wink:
The Onion wrote:NBC Cancels CSI
BURBANK, CA—Seeking to bolster its Thursday-night Nielsen numbers, NBC announced Monday that it is cancelling the highly rated CBS drama CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. "CSI was a quality show that, unfortunately, always quite lived up to expectations," said Jeff Zucker, NBC president of entertainment. "We tried to give it plenty of time to lose an audience, but in the end, it just was working." Other shows NBC may cancel include Fox's American Idol, ABC's Alias, and CBS's Everybody Loves Raymond.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Alias renewed for a third season

Post by Sascha » Feb 27th 2003, 9:04 am

Good news (not from The Onion this time ;-)):
http://www.testpattern.net/scoops/scoops.html wrote:Wednesday, February 26th, 2003...Sure, ABC took a little flack lately for their spate of tacky reality shows and bizarre interviews but, on Wednesday, they issued a resounding show of faith in the scripted portions of their lineups.

Seven. Count 'em. Seven shows renewed for another season in one day. Wow.

The first, and I'm pretty sure the one you care about the most, is Alias. After a second season of less-than-spectacular ratings there was much theorizing about the end of Sydney's adventures. Well, no more. And it looks like most of the credit can go to that post-Superbowl lingerie show...I mean...episode. Despite somewhat disappointing ratings for that slot, the show has maintained a bump of about a million viewers over what it was averaging in 2002.

While you're watching Alias next year, you'll see many of the same promos for their comedy schedule as you did this year. ABC also renewed six of their comedies for another round -- 8 Simple Rules, According to Jim, My Wife and Kids, Life with Bonnie, Less Than Perfect, and George Lopez.

These additions to the fall schedule join the already renewed NYPD Blue, The Bachelor, and America's Funniest Home Videos

On related news: "24" will also come back for a third day. Sarah Michelle Gellar has officially announced her departure from "Buffy" and describes the 5-episode-series-finale of Buffy as a "pretty spectacular" event. There will be no Buffy Spin-Off featuring Eliza Dushku ("Faith"), she got a new show on FOX. And Dawson's Creek is finally history.