Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 4th 2003, 9:23 am

fnordboy wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to say that I picked up Angel S2 tonight at BB. It was odd, when I got there they didnt have any nor did they have a place set aside for it (no sign up) only for S1. Then I happened to see a cart filled with new shipments and Angel S2 was on it. Guess shipments were delayed to them due to the holiday weekend. Maybe that was the problem at Costco, candygirl.
Cool,

I just got mine in the mail today. Whohoo! Our current mailman is either an A-type personality or loves to vent on packages. He does his best to cram all into our small box. So the box was a bit smushed but the discs are fine.

I still currently working on my Babylon 5 (season 3), Buffy (season 4) and Angel (season one) marathon. Soon as I am done with that, on to Angel Season 2.

:D

LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 4th 2003, 9:28 am

candygirl wrote:I don't want to be a rumor-monger, but the generally accepted story about Glenn Quinn is that his drug habit is what caused Joss to write him off the show so quickly. Apparently Joss had intended for the character to be on the show longer but GQ's problem was getting to be too much. David Boreanaz still doesn't talk about GQ in interviews because he is still emotional about his RL death.
Very sad that. I definate felt that Quinn's character had much more that could have been done. Would have been interesting to see how Doyle would have dealt with the heavy stuff the Fang Gang ran into later on in Seasons 3 & 4.

That being said I think the addition of Wesley was a brillant move.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 4th 2003, 1:25 pm

lance wrote:
candygirl wrote:I don't want to be a rumor-monger, but the generally accepted story about Glenn Quinn is that his drug habit is what caused Joss to write him off the show so quickly. Apparently Joss had intended for the character to be on the show longer but GQ's problem was getting to be too much. David Boreanaz still doesn't talk about GQ in interviews because he is still emotional about his RL death.
Very sad that. I definate felt that Quinn's character had much more that could have been done. Would have been interesting to see how Doyle would have dealt with the heavy stuff the Fang Gang ran into later on in Seasons 3 & 4.

It is too bad about Doyle, and that would make sense, candygirl. He did seem like a character that should have stayed on for a while.

Damn you Lance, I just get S2 and you are already making me want S3 and S4 :evil: :lol:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 4th 2003, 1:29 pm

So I finished S1 last night, but didn't get a chance to watch any of S2 yet. Tonight. I thought the S1 finale was a little anti climactic, but it did get me curious to see what is in store for S2...I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore so I had to pass on watching any.

Of course I opened my S2 set and the Buffy curse strikes again. My disc 1 was loose, didn't look like it was really scratched. Only a very minor looking scratch or two on it, so I think I am going to play it and see if it skips. If it does I will return it. If not...no biggie then. I don't feel like dealing with BB again :? I wish Fox would figure out a way to fix this issue already.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 4th 2003, 1:49 pm

Yup, and it's always disc 1. I really dislike the packaging they have chosen - the plastic disc holder is almost completely off the cardboard from S3, and that is the set that I had to return three times to get a scratch-free disc 1. The fold out packaging is cool the first time you see it, but it's a pain in the ass when you just want to get out one disc without squatting on the floor and unfolding the whole darn thing. I love the mini-cases they used for the Family Guy because I can take out one disc without a big production AND it takes up less space on my shelf. Why don't the DVD people (and everyone else) just do what I want? :wink:

I agree that it seemed Doyle would be on the show a little longer, if only to endear us to him further before ripping our hearts out - especially since he was such a new character (they originally planned to use Whistler from Becoming, but he had another commitment or scheduling conflict). Doyle was just becoming interesting and then pfffft. Given the circumstances of Glenn Quinn's real death, it looks like Joss made the right decision. Then again, maybe staying on the show would have given him a reason to straighten out. Who knows?

I can't wait to get my AtS S2 in the mail - if I watch one episode every night, I will finish just in time for the S5 premiere!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 8th 2003, 2:41 pm

fnordboy wrote:
lance wrote:

It is too bad about Doyle, and that would make sense, candygirl. He did seem like a character that should have stayed on for a while.

Damn you Lance, I just get S2 and you are already making me want S3 and S4 :evil: :lol:
He he. He's hooked. Granted this hobby will cost you, but hey it will be worth it.

Yes,

I too have suffered from the curse of the Buffy Region One Packaging. Always, always my disc one comes loose. Fortunately my discs have never been scratched, so far.

Think we have it bad, I feel sorry for those people who buy Buffy & Angel in Region 2. My friend here buys his stuff from blackstar. The cardboard sleeves are so tight, once the disc is out you can't get them back in.

My favorite DVD packing so far has been with Babylon 5. These sets feature a book type format. Each DVD is mounted on a plastic "page". You don't have to unfold the whole set to get the DVD you want.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 9th 2003, 1:22 am

Ahhhh, after a craptacular day at work, I arrived home (at 8pm :x ) to find my deepdiscountdvd order waiting for me! I was getting a little worried/annoyed because I ordered last Tuesday and whenever I checked my account, it said my order was "in process." I will still be able to watch all of S2 before S5 begins - woo hoo! I love S2 - Darla is so great, and it's the pre-Connor era. Plus Lorne - I love him!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 9th 2003, 11:35 am

candygirl wrote:Ahhhh, after a craptacular day at work, I arrived home (at 8pm :x ) to find my deepdiscountdvd order waiting for me! I was getting a little worried/annoyed because I ordered last Tuesday and whenever I checked my account, it said my order was "in process." I will still be able to watch all of S2 before S5 begins - woo hoo! I love S2 - Darla is so great, and it's the pre-Connor era. Plus Lorne - I love him!
Gotta Love Lorne.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 9th 2003, 2:26 pm

Last night all I watched were the featurettes - tonight I begin S2 and I will finish the season on September 30. Talk about perfect timing! :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 9th 2003, 4:00 pm

candygirl wrote:Last night all I watched were the featurettes - tonight I begin S2 and I will finish the season on September 30. Talk about perfect timing! :D
I have finished the first disc of S2. I am not as into the show yet as I was for S1, hoping it will pick up. I am also hoping that they bring Darla out into the "open" soon I enjoy her but I fear that this arc will take too long to play out. I am sick of the dreams already.

Still not a bad show though.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 9th 2003, 4:12 pm

candygirl wrote:Last night all I watched were the featurettes - tonight I begin S2 and I will finish the season on September 30. Talk about perfect timing! :D
Ahh yes indeed.

Wait, Angel is still set to premier on Oct 1st, correct?

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 9th 2003, 5:07 pm

Yes, October 1.

Hang in there fnordboy - once Darla shows up in the flesh, it gets pretty good!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 10th 2003, 10:14 am

candygirl wrote:Yes, October 1.

Hang in there fnordboy - once Darla shows up in the flesh, it gets pretty good!
Yep watched the first ep on the second disc last night and she is in the flesh. It was a better episode. :)

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Sep 13th 2003, 11:58 am

I soooooo need to starting spending $$$ on DVD's. Candygirl, please excuse my ignorance, but can you refresh my memory who Glenn Quinn is? Was he just in Season 1, b/c I haven't seen it yet. thanks.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 14th 2003, 2:27 am

Glenn Quinn played Doyle, who received vision from TPTB and assisted Angel in his mission to help the hopeless. He only appeared in S1. Cordy became vision girl when Doyle left.