Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 16th 2003, 4:01 pm

I liked Ally McBeal the first few seasons too, but then I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm not sure if it was the constant singing (which doesn't seem likely since I was a good little choir girl in high school) or the quirky idiosyncrasies becoming downright tics (although I loved Richard and the Biscuit).

As far as Bridget Jones, I was disappointed in the movie because I read the book and liked it a lot. The movie was not nearly as funny, entertaining, or interesting. I kept waiting for something to happen, but...nothing. I also disliked that Renee Zellweger gained all of 20 pounds and was supposed to be considered overweight - not very realistic since she was a stick to begin with. Anyway, it's not a very long book so if you need some light summer (girlie) reading, check it out.

If you do get to watch See Jane Date, let us know what you think of it!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 18th 2003, 10:32 am

grim4746 wrote:Thanks candygirl that is an interesting interview. I am one of 'fan(atic)s up in arms' about Cordeila's absence from Angel next season. I'm a little outraged especially after reading that article and the Joss interview posted in an earlier message. It sounds like she was canned without much notice and is being graceful about it. I have an entirely baseless speculation that Joss is just getting petty revenge because CC's pregnancy messed with the direction he wanted to take the show in. I am excited at the thought of [spoiler]Harmony appearing as Angels admin. asst. she's always so much fun. especially since she became a vampire. but i would have preferred to see her interact with Cordelia again[/spoiler]
Even though I'm not getting my way I'm still excited about the new season and very relieved that it is coming back and Joss hasn't disappointed me before (except most of Buffy season 7 but it still had some great moments. I loved Andrew's 'documentry') so I'll sit back and give him the benefit of the doubt but I will be keeping the remote closer than I have in the past.
Interesting,

I talked to my sister yesterday about the situation. She volunteered over at saveangel.com. She is extremely upset about CC situation and holds Joss responsible. She is going as far as not to watch Angel: Season 5 this fall. She also expressed concern about the change in format. Joss has been quoted as saying that Angel this fall will consist of stand alone episodes as a means of appealing to a broader audience. The danger is that by doing so you might lose many core fans. If this is the case we might not have the season long story arcs which have featured so prominently on both Buffy & Angel.

Maybe we will have series of monster-of-the-week. ala Buffy Season One. This by itself may not be bad if done properly. I am actually looking forward to seeing what Joss has cooked up for Angel & crew.

Lance Man

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 18th 2003, 12:33 pm

lance wrote: Interesting,

I talked to my sister yesterday about the situation. She volunteered over at saveangel.com. She is extremely upset about CC situation and holds Joss responsible. She is going as far as not to watch Angel: Season 5 this fall. She also expressed concern about the change in format. Joss has been quoted as saying that Angel this fall will consist of stand alone episodes as a means of appealing to a broader audience. The danger is that by doing so you might lose many core fans. If this is the case we might not have the season long story arcs which have featured so prominently on both Buffy & Angel.

Maybe we will have series of monster-of-the-week. ala Buffy Season One. This by itself may not be bad if done properly. I am actually looking forward to seeing what Joss has cooked up for Angel & crew.

Lance Man
thanks for the scoop lance. I might like the "monter-of-the-week" format, sort of like the X files. I would like for their to be some sort fo continuing plot though and i'm fairly sure there will be room for that even in stand alone format. I understand your sisters outrage, I would like to boycott the show too and maybe i would if buffy were still on but i'm not going to punish myself expressing upset in a way that basically no one but myself would notice, but i might change my mind after seeing the initial results of his changes. Does anyone know if Angel was picked up for the enite season? If not that might be a good reason to shy away from major story arcs.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 18th 2003, 1:45 pm

grim4746 wrote:Does anyone know if Angel was picked up for the enite season? If not that might be a good reason to shy away from major story arcs.
Angel was renewed for an entire season.

I had heard that Joss wanted to do more stand-alone episodes for season 5, which the new Wolfram and Hart setup seems conducive towards accomplishing (kind of like Moonlighting - new client/problem each week). I am ambivalent about this tactic - given BtVS S7 and its lame arc, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to have stand-alone episodes rather than the same boring stuff pounded into our heads every week (SiTs, the First).

In general, I don't like the principle of stand-alone episodes, but a lot of shows have done well with that format (the first few seasons of ST:TNG). The important thing to remember is that there will still be character development and relationships will develop, but the actual plot for each episode will not depend on ones before (a la Moonlighting).

Lance, I understand your sister being upset but my attitude is similar to Charisma's in that Joss is the creator and has the right to do what he thinks is good for the show. I don't think that I've ever been upset enough to boycott a show on principle, but mostly because if I'm that annoyed the show already sucks :wink:

If it makes her feel any better, there are a lot of Connor fans who are equally upset about VK not being a regular anymore as well. I, for one, will not miss his character at all!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 19th 2003, 10:11 am

candygirl wrote:
grim4746 wrote:Does anyone know if Angel was picked up for the enite season? If not that might be a good reason to shy away from major story arcs.
Angel was renewed for an entire season.

I had heard that Joss wanted to do more stand-alone episodes for season 5, which the new Wolfram and Hart setup seems conducive towards accomplishing (kind of like Moonlighting - new client/problem each week). I am ambivalent about this tactic - given BtVS S7 and its lame arc, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to have stand-alone episodes rather than the same boring stuff pounded into our heads every week (SiTs, the First).

In general, I don't like the principle of stand-alone episodes, but a lot of shows have done well with that format (the first few seasons of ST:TNG). The important thing to remember is that there will still be character development and relationships will develop, but the actual plot for each episode will not depend on ones before (a la Moonlighting).

Lance, I understand your sister being upset but my attitude is similar to Charisma's in that Joss is the creator and has the right to do what he thinks is good for the show. I don't think that I've ever been upset enough to boycott a show on principle, but mostly because if I'm that annoyed the show already sucks :wink:

If it makes her feel any better, there are a lot of Connor fans who are equally upset about VK not being a regular anymore as well. I, for one, will not miss his character at all!
Big ditto on Connor. That character just never seemed to fit will with the "Fang Gang". In fact he became so unreliable as to be reliable in the fact that he was always so contrary to the mission at hand.

I agree with you about CC. I think she has an excellent, healthy attitude given the circumstances. At least she is employed. Hopefully she will continue to get more work. Maybe we will see her again in the Joss universe.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 19th 2003, 5:46 pm

The one time that I really sympathized with Connor was in the S4 finale - that whole scene with him and Angel at the sporting goods store did an excellent job of illustrating Connor's frustration and unhappiness. So typical of ME to give that scene and then take him off the show - I'm still not complaining about only having him contracted for one episode next season though!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2003, 11:23 pm

David Boreanaz is selling his 2002 Mercedes on ebay - the winner gets to spend the day with him too! All this for the low, low price of $78,000.

You can view the auction here

:lol:

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 21st 2003, 12:40 am

I almost had sympathy for Connor in the S4 finale but I just kept reminding myself that it was a poor attempt to retroactively justify the excessive whining we'd been subjected to since Connor arrived. Plus I was thrilled because I'd heard that he was being written out of the show. The Buffyverse hadn't made me so happy since Riley finally left Sunnydale.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 23rd 2003, 7:29 pm

Pictures from 5.1 available here

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 25th 2003, 6:37 pm

Psssst...Angel S2 DVDs are now at Wal-Mart so if you can't wait until the official release date (next Tuesday), you know where to get your fix.

FYI - S2 is in widescreen & the package insert says S3 will be available in February 2004.

:D

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 26th 2003, 11:58 am

candygirl wrote:Psssst...Angel S2 DVDs are now at Wal-Mart so if you can't wait until the official release date (next Tuesday), you know where to get your fix.

FYI - S2 is in widescreen & the package insert says S3 will be available in February 2004.

Candygirl,

Thanks for the pictures and the Wal-Mart info. Now if I can just come up with $45.99 plus tax, Angel with be mine.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 26th 2003, 1:46 pm

Nah, it's only $38.87 at Wal-Mart! I know sometimes that extra $7 makes influences where I will buy.

I'm waiting until the official release date so I can multitask (or is that multibuy) at CostCo - only $39.99. I can live with paying an extra $1.12 to avoid Wal-Mart.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 27th 2003, 10:42 am

candygirl wrote:Nah, it's only $38.87 at Wal-Mart! I know sometimes that extra $7 makes influences where I will buy.

I'm waiting until the official release date so I can multitask (or is that multibuy) at CostCo - only $39.99. I can live with paying an extra $1.12 to avoid Wal-Mart.

Hmmm,

Definately torn on this one. I may just hold my nose and cruise the local Wal-Marts and see if Angel is out.

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2003, 9:52 pm

Extra (the crappy tv show) interviewed someone from TV Guide the other night. Of note during the interview was the mockup of next week's cover. The text reads "Angel: Spike's back (and Buffy too)."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2003, 9:56 pm

candygirl wrote:FYI - S2 is in widescreen
Joss Whedon discusses AtS S2 widescreen presentation here.