Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 29th 2003, 3:23 pm

candygirl wrote:Extra (the crappy tv show) interviewed someone from TV Guide the other night. Of note during the interview was the mockup of next week's cover. The text reads "Angel: Spike's back (and Buffy too)."
Candygirl,

Cool. Given how grainy the picture is I am wondering if this Tara person had 2.5 seconds to get the thing scanned before she was caught.

Or do you think this is one of those publicity leaks?

Thanks for the pic.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 29th 2003, 3:54 pm

I'm pretty sure the graininess is because the entire picture (the TV Guide guy in the foreground who was cropped out and the new cover behind him) were a screen capture. I don't think it's a publicity leak - the TV Guide person was being interviewed on Extra and it's pretty standard to show a magazine cover (whether past, current, or upcoming) under those circumstances. Yes, I watch waaaaay too much crappy tv!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 30th 2003, 4:26 pm

candygirl wrote:Yes, I watch waaaaay too much crappy tv!

He he, I am not the one.

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 30th 2003, 5:55 pm

You can view scans of the TV Guide issue here

Below is a transcript of the article, (courtesy of ChickNLittle's post here) - I used spoiler marks for anyone who doesn't know what's going on in the first few eps yet, but it's pretty mild spoilery (mostly casting stuff that we have talked about here already).

[spoiler]THE BIG FANG THEORY –
Angel nearly dies, but Spike’s here to give the vamp show lots more bite

By Shawna Malcom

ON THE HOLLYWOOD set of WB's Angel, the brooding, do gooder title character, played by David Boreanaz, is sitting in his office, lost in thought. He glances up at Wesley, one of his crime busting partners, and asks, "You don't think he's really gone, do you?"
Within moments, his question is answered: Spike, the trash talking, platinum blond vampire, comes striding in, clad in his trademark leather trench coat.

For a guy who was last seen going up in flames on the series finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, he looks remarkably unsinged. The actor behind Spike, James Marsters, is obviously thrilled by his resurrection. "With the writers we had on Buffy, I felt like we could have gone at least two more years;"he says during a break. Buffy and Angel creator Joss Whedon first approached the 41 year old actor last winter about transplanting his 123 year old character to Angel. Marsters jumped at the chance. "I have never felt bored doing this character. I don't know when I will be able to do something this delightful again, so why bid it goodbye before you have to?"
Spike's encore will be tied to the amulet that played a key role in Buffy's finale. "He's not just going to walk in and go, 'You wouldn't believe what just happened to me. I dreamt that I was burnt to a crisp,'" Whedon says. "We're going to bring him back in the most painful and confusing way for him possible."

Spike isn't the only one getting a second chance. For four seasons, Angel performed consistently, if not spectacularly, for WB, yet it hovered near cancellation last spring. The problem, according to WB president Jordan Levin, was partly financial (in order to stay on the air, Angel ultimately had to cut its budget) and partly the series' creative direction. "We wanted to brighten the show," Levin says.

So the vampires got a revamp. "Last year's plotlines were a little darker;" Boreanaz says, relaxing on a leather couch on the show's set. "This year, it's a whole different spin. There's more humor."

Levin admits that incorporating alums from Buffy, the cult hit that WB lost to rival UPN after five seasons, played a pivotal part in Angel's renewal. "We wanted to be able to fuse the two shows' worlds," he says. "We wanted to know there was an openness to doing that."

Marsters isn't the only one who quickly signed on. Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, is in serious talks to make a two-episode appearance, likely during either February or May sweeps. And another Buffy character Spike's former flame Harmony, played by Mercedes McNab will appear throughout the season as Angel's new assistant at the sinister law firm he and the gang took over in last season's finale

Other developments to sink your teeth into: Former gang member Gunn undergoes a mysterious procedure that transforms him into a top attorney; science whiz Fred gets recruited by Spike, who's desperate to feel like his old self again; and an enigmatic new character named Eve offers up her services as a liaison between Angel and the law firm's senior partners.

Two major players have vanished, however: Angel's tortured son, Connor, and comatose Cordelia, who had been with the show since Day 1. According to Whedon, both exits were dictated by the story lines. "It was time for Cordelia to go;" seconds Charisma Carpenter, who will guest star on NBC's new fall comedy Miss Match. "I really don't know what was left to do with her."

Whedon has a few thoughts, though he's reluctant to go into much detail. "We'd like to do arcs with both Cordelia and Connor," he says cryptically. But let's not be coy here: It's Gellar the fans really want. Whedon won't divulge details, but he will allow that Buffy's presence will create more tension between the two vamps who've loved her - Angel, her first boyfriend, and Spike, her most recent. "In order for all of them to get along," Whedon says, "one of them would have to die. Again. And I don't want that."

Neither does Marsters, who came to play, albeit by his own rules. "I'm starting to do what I did at Buffy, which is go off in a corner by myself;" he says. "Some of that's probably the character. But I suck at team sports. I always have. It's more like, 'Throw me the ball. It's my ball.'"
The show's original star doesn't seem particularly comfortable with that idea. "Remember, it's called Angel;" Boreanaz says. "Spike is one of my henchmen. He is underneath me."

Sounds like Angel's already baring his fangs.[/spoiler]

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Aug 30th 2003, 7:11 pm

Those are great pic's Candygirl. Thanks for posting them. Except did anyone else notice something missing from those group shots?????? (all together class...) CORDY!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope her abscence won't kill the show for me. I am glad to see Angel on the cover of TV Guide. Hopefully this season will rock and we can look forward to even more seasons in the years to come. Wishful thinking, I know.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:07 am

I went to Cost Co after work today, totally excited to buy AtS S2 only to find they didn't have it! No, they didn't run out in a few hours - they just didn't have any copies. This is the same Cost Co where I bought BtVS S2-4 and AtS S1 so I am very :evil:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:31 am

candygirl wrote:I went to Cost Co after work today, totally excited to buy AtS S2 only to find they didn't have it! No, they didn't run out in a few hours - they just didn't have any copies. This is the same Cost Co where I bought BtVS S2-4 and AtS S1 so I am very :evil:
I haven't picked up mine yet either. I am in the middle of moving so I obviously have my priorities all screwed up ;)

I will be stopping at BB tomorrow to pick up my copy. Still need to watch the last few eps of S1 though, hopefully kill 1 or 2 tonight.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2003, 4:08 am

Well the trip wasn't a complete loss because I bought the last copy this Cost Co had of the Simpsons S3 (although I had to dig through 20 boxes of the Sopranos to find it). I was disappointed that Cost Co didn't have any of the John Hughes DVDs that were released today either. I decided to just order Angel from deepdiscountdvd - at least I won't have to go back to Cost Co!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:33 pm

candygirl wrote:Well the trip wasn't a complete loss because I bought the last copy this Cost Co had of the Simpsons S3 (although I had to dig through 20 boxes of the Sopranos to find it). I was disappointed that Cost Co didn't have any of the John Hughes DVDs that were released today either. I decided to just order Angel from deepdiscountdvd - at least I won't have to go back to Cost Co!
Candygirl,

Sorry to hear that you couldn't find Angel ant Cost Co, cool though about Simpsons.

I am waiting the delivery of my copy of Angel courtesy of Walmart.com

LanceMan

Question: Isn't Angel's dance party episode in Season 2?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:35 pm

fnordboy wrote:
candygirl wrote:I went to Cost Co after work today, totally excited to buy AtS S2 only to find they didn't have it! No, they didn't run out in a few hours - they just didn't have any copies. This is the same Cost Co where I bought BtVS S2-4 and AtS S1 so I am very :evil:
I haven't picked up mine yet either. I am in the middle of moving so I obviously have my priorities all screwed up ;)

I will be stopping at BB tomorrow to pick up my copy. Still need to watch the last few eps of S1 though, hopefully kill 1 or 2 tonight.
Boxes as far as the eye can see?

So what did you think about Angel: Season One?

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:39 pm

lance wrote:Question: Isn't Angel's dance party episode in Season 2?
Nope, that's 1.13 (She) - the cost of the entire season was worth seeing Angel and Wesley dance!

I can't wait for S3 to come out in February - 3.13 (Waiting in the Wings) has a deleted scene where Fred and Wesley do a ballet dance together.

What is it with dancing in the 13th episodes? :wink:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:42 pm

candygirl wrote:
lance wrote:Question: Isn't Angel's dance party episode in Season 2?
Nope, that's 1.13 (She) - the cost of the entire season was worth seeing Angel and Wesley dance!
LOL! How right you are. That must have been a blast to film.

LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 4th 2003, 12:09 am

lance wrote: Boxes as far as the eye can see?

So what did you think about Angel: Season One?
More like crap that needs to go in boxes as far as the eye can see. Hopefully i will be in by this weekend...hopefully.

I enjoyed S1 of Angel, I need to watch the season finale tonight so I can start in on S2. I thought the show was good, not as good as Buffy at her best, but as good as a decent Buffy. I was upset that

[spoiler]Becky's boyfriend (from Roseanne) got killed off so quickly. I can't remember his name right now, I was hoping he would be a long term regular character. I guess they needed to bring Cordelia out into the foreground more though, and that was the easiest way[/spoiler]

Other than that the show is cool. :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 4th 2003, 12:12 am

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I picked up Angel S2 tonight at BB. It was odd, when I got there they didnt have any nor did they have a place set aside for it (no sign up) only for S1. Then I happened to see a cart filled with new shipments and Angel S2 was on it. Guess shipments were delayed to them due to the holiday weekend. Maybe that was the problem at Costco, candygirl.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 4th 2003, 1:15 am

I don't want to be a rumor-monger, but the generally accepted story about Glenn Quinn is that his drug habit is what caused Joss to write him off the show so quickly. Apparently Joss had intended for the character to be on the show longer but GQ's problem was getting to be too much. David Boreanaz still doesn't talk about GQ in interviews because he is still emotional about his RL death.