Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 17th 2004, 11:24 pm

They finally made Connor into a likeable guy, if only for one episode. The Buffy-Angel-Spike resolution was a little weak, but not bad given the series-ending constraints. Last week's episode made a compelling setup to the big finale. Angel's plan seems thorough, but did he really kill Drogan at the initiation ceremony, or was that another trick to fool the Senior Partners?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 20th 2004, 12:58 pm

This thread was brought to you by Your Friends at the WB

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 24th 2004, 1:56 pm

Hey all!!!!! It's me, back in the forum. I finally have a computer that works! I am way sad that the WB cancelled my favorite show. :cry:
If I could only watch one hour of TV a week I would honestly make it Angel. ( I would love to throw in a bunch of 4-letter expletives concerning the brass at the WB, but at least they brought it back for a 5th season...right?!.??? ) I was truly bummed as I watched it all unfold last Wed. But personally I think Joss and co. did a pretty good job wrapping it all up. I was surprised the finale was treated as just another 1 hour episode and not something more like what they did w/ Dawsons' Creek. That would have been cool. I was also surprised that Lorne gunned down Lindsey. Never saw that one coming. I guess I was very surprised that Angel got canned this season especially with Spike coming over. I thought Spike added a wonderful angle to the show. Can anyone point me to any site/sites on the web that shed a little more light on the chain of events that led to the WB pulling the plug on Angel? And on another note....can anyone tell me if ED on NBC has been cancelled or will it return next season? Thanks for all the help.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 25th 2004, 1:42 am

K-man wrote:Hey all!!!!! It's me, back in the forum. I finally have a computer that works!
Hey K-Man, welcome back! :D
[/off topic]

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 25th 2004, 1:25 pm

Thanks Fnordboy! It's great to finally be able to post again. Man did I miss this place!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 26th 2004, 6:39 am

fnordboy wrote:
K-man wrote:Hey all!!!!! It's me, back in the forum. I finally have a computer that works!
Hey K-Man, welcome back! :D
[/off topic]
Good to see the old guard back on duty.

:D

There's a lot of info and outside links on the cancellation throughout the last several pages of this thread. As for the finale, I considered it one of the better TV capstones I've seen. Final episodes are sometimes stretched thin trying to answer every possible lingering question, but the Angel writers seemed to have an idea of which threads needed closure, and which were better left to the viewers' imaginations. A happy ending would have been nice, but somehow that last shot of the gang going out fighting just felt right. No new Angel is still :cry: , though.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 14th 2004, 10:13 am

I miss my show. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: What will I do with my wednesday nights???????????

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 22nd 2004, 5:17 am

I had a mini-Angel-marathon the past two weeks, I watched the entire fifth season in less than 10 days - and it was an amazing experience :-) Every night when I came home I would ignore the usual boring tv schedule (well, except for some important soccer games ;-)) and just watch two or three episodes and I tell you -- you get way more involved and addicted than if you just watch one episode every few weeks. So I'm probably biased, but right now I think season 5 of Angel was the best "Angel" season (but it's been four years since I've seen season 1 ;-)). It had two or three not so exciting "filler" episodes, but alltogether it was very well written.

And just like probably every Angel fan out there I just can't believe that those bastards at WB killed this fine show. I laughed more and harder in the "puppet episode" than in the entire last seasons of the so-called comedies "Friends" or "Frasier". And that tragic episode where Fred dies -- it was so perfectly written, directed and acted -- amazing. It was up in the league with MSCL and some episodes of "Once and Again" as well as Buffys "The Body" episode. I was suprised how well the "renewed" Fred character aka "Über-Smurf" worked in the second half of the season. Amy Acker showed some excellent performances like when she changed from to Illyria to Fred and back in the episode where her parents come to visit (and I don't mean the sfx/make-up tricks -- although she clearly looked even more sexy than before ;-)).

I would love to know how that season was supposed to end before the cancellation was announced. That final scene between Fred/Illyria and Wesley was so brilliant, it felt like it was planned a long time ago -- and I wouldn't miss it for the world, it was the highlight of the series finale. Maybe Lindsay would have survived and would have become a part of "the team" in season 6. That whole "Circle of the Black Thorn" storyline also seemed a bit thin.

Ah, well, let's cross our fingers and hope for some "Angel" tv-movies in 2005 and maybe a new Joss series -- tv *really* needs a Whedon show.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 22nd 2004, 3:18 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:I would love to know how that season was supposed to end before the cancellation was announced.
I read several interviews with Joss after the cancellation announcement where he stated that he did not intend to alter the way the season arc or finale simply because the WB decided not to renew the show. Some fans were upset with this because they were worried that there would be dangling storylines and a lack of resolution, but now that I have watched all of season five, I understand what Joss was saying - the finale could have been a season finale OR a series finale.

I agree with what you said Sascha, mainly that doing a mini-marathon makes the show much more intense than watching a new episode every few weeks (damn the stupid network schedule and sweeps!). I always watch the entire Buffy or Angel season when I buy it on DVD - I usually watch three or four episodes a night and finish within a week or so. Amy Acker did an incredible job this season. It's interesting how seeing her as Fred for so long gave me the impression that she just WAS Fred. Giving her the opportunity to play a completely different character showed that there is more to Amy Acker that stuttering Fred.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 24th 2004, 4:22 am

S4 news from tvshowsondvd:
Earlier today we reported on Amazon.com's pre-order listing for Angel - Season 4 on DVD. At the time we mentioned that the "information has not been verified with Fox".

Well, that's changed! Fox formally announced the release just at the close of business today. They verified the Sept. 7th release date we reported, and gave additional information of course.

With a 6-DVD set presented in 1.78:1 widescreen aspect ration, expect a list price of $59.98 in the USA and CA$89.98 in Canada. English Dolby 2.0 sound is available, as is a French soundtrack as well. Look for subtitles in English and Spanish. Here's the cover art:

click here to view

EXTRAS! EXTRAS! There are a number of supplements available on this set, and we've got 'em for you on this disc-by-disc content breakdown:

Disc 1 - Deep Down; Ground State; The House Always Wins With Optional Commentary by David Fury and Andy Hallett; Slouching Toward Bethlehem

Disc 2 - Supersymmetry; Spin the Bottle with optional commentary by Joss Whedon and Alexis Denisof; Apocalypse, Nowish with optional commentary by Vern Gillum and Steven DeKnight; Habeas Corpses; Featurette - Angel and the Apocalypse

Disc 3 - Long Day's Journey; Awakening; Soulless

Disc 4 - Calvary; Salvage; Release; Orpheus with optional commentary by Terrence O'Hara and Jeffrey Bell

Disc 5 - Players; Inside Out with Optional Commentary By Steven DeKnight; Shiny Happy People; The Magic Bullet with optional commentary by Jeffrey Bell

Disc 6 - Sacrifice; Peace Out; Home with optional commentary by Tim Minear; Featurettes: Prophecies: Season 4 Overview; Unplugged: Season 4 Outtakes; Last Looks: The Hyperion Hotel; Fatal Beauty and the Beast; Malice in Wonderland: Wolfram & Hart

Joss Whedon's legacy continues to be preserved on DVD, even if his shows are all cancelled on TV at the moment. While we wait for the box office version of Firefly, and for word of Whedon's next move after that, let's enjoy some more Angel on DVD, eh?

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 29th 2004, 2:17 pm

I agree COMPLETELY with everything SAB said!!!!!! This was a GREAT show!!!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 30th 2004, 2:15 am

Fox is auctioning off a bunch of S5 stuff (mostly clothes and some of Harmony's jewelry).

Someone paid $475 for Spike's skivvies. The auction for Angel's "vintage undergarments" (worn in The Girl in Question) is up to $300 :shock: Eve's red lace undies are going for only $61, but Angel's trenchcoat is over $300 with four more days left of the auction.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2004, 11:03 pm

Former Angel star David Boreanaz will topline romantic comedy feature Mr. Fix It, written by Darin Ferril ola, who also will direct.

Variety says the film, about a lovelorn Casanova who tricks women into returning to their ex-boyfriends and finds himself falling for one of his marks, begins production this summer in Southern California.
(the movie has been retitled as The Perfect Lie and is set to be released in 2005)

In other Jossverse alumni news, at the Buffy Down Under convention, James Marsters mentioned that David Greenwalt is pitching a new show starring JM as some sort of detective or FBI agent (some sort of role that would allow him to be don undercover disguises). JM has also received funding for his dream project Macbeth, so he has left Ghost of the Robot to work on Macbeth for the next few years.

Joss still wants to do several tv movies - one each for Angel, Spike, Willow, and Giles - but since DB, JM, AH, and ASH are all working on projects right now, if any of the movies happen it won't be in the immediate future.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 25th 2004, 5:26 am

candygirl wrote:Joss still wants to do several tv movies - one each for Angel, Spike, Willow, and Giles - but since DB, JM, AH, and ASH are all working on projects right now, if any of the movies happen it won't be in the immediate future.
And at least DB seems currently a bit unwilling to dive back into the "Buffyverse" - the WB CEO mentioned last week at the Television Critics Press Tour that it'll need some "coaxing" to have David returned for a "Angel" TV movie. But the movies will happen sometime.

Also, theWB tries to blame Whedon, Greenwalt and 20th Century for the cancellation of the show:
TCA tour wrote:Ancier hints that Angel might still be with us today, had producer 20th Century Fox given the network until May to make a final decision. “We [were forced] to make the decision early based on their request.”
Ohhh, poor WB. Of course, it would have been soooo hard to uncancel the show if they really had wanted to.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 27th 2004, 7:57 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:
candygirl wrote:Joss still wants to do several tv movies - one each for Angel, Spike, Willow, and Giles - but since DB, JM, AH, and ASH are all working on projects right now, if any of the movies happen it won't be in the immediate future.
And at least DB seems currently a bit unwilling to dive back into the "Buffyverse" - the WB CEO mentioned last week at the Television Critics Press Tour that it'll need some "coaxing" to have David returned for a "Angel" TV movie. But the movies will happen sometime.

Also, theWB tries to blame Whedon, Greenwalt and 20th Century for the cancellation of the show:
TCA tour wrote:Ancier hints that Angel might still be with us today, had producer 20th Century Fox given the network until May to make a final decision. “We [were forced] to make the decision early based on their request.”
Ohhh, poor WB. Of course, it would have been soooo hard to uncancel the show if they really had wanted to.
Sascha & Candygirl thanks for the updates.

Sascha, congrats on your Angel marathon. I love doing marathons. Very cool. Yeah, Angel was one of the best written shows out there. Season 5 took a lot of risks but they largely paid off. "Smile Time" & "Harm's Way" being my favorites.

At one point in time silly things like "ratings" actually determined a shows fate. Now I suspect a roulette wheel, dartboard or pin the tale on the donkey approach are made by people who probably have never seen the show.

Still though I am looking forward to getting Season 4 in September and presumbly Season 5 in February just in time for my birthday.

**Update** Greg the Bunny is now available for order from http://www.amazon.com Amazon has it for $18.00 dollars.

-LanceMan