Buffy...convince me

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 3:11 pm

fnordboy wrote:
lance wrote: Fnordboy,

I am actually watching Buffy: Second Season now. Whenever you got the cash or the time, well worth it. Dude the dance number in "When She Was Bad" (First episode) alone about justifes the purchase. Plus this is the first time you get to see Spike, in all his bad ass glory.

Now onto "School Hard".

Lance Man
Ok you got me, I dropped by Best Buy and picked up S2 tonight.... what can I say...
Good Man!

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 3:13 pm

candygirl wrote:Woo hoo!

(why do I get the feeling that Buffy's dance was more enticing than seeing Spike?)

:D
LOL!

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 11th 2003, 2:42 pm

fnordboy wrote:My latest purchases TV wise were Buffy 1 & 2
Have you started watching season 2 yet? Can't wait to hear what you think!

Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 11th 2003, 3:59 pm

candygirl wrote:
fnordboy wrote:My latest purchases TV wise were Buffy 1 & 2
Have you started watching season 2 yet? Can't wait to hear what you think!

Yep, half way through it. So far so good. Just finished "Surprise" last night :)

Unfortunately I know of most of the major plot twists and turns that happen in the series just from friends of mine talking about it or on message boards. The later seasons will be different, I don't think I am aware of much of those.

My only fear is that I will have to get into Angel next :shock: , but I don't know if I will take it that far. It is a decent show (buffy) I am not overly impressed, but I am not horrified by its cheese :lol: . I like it because it reminds me of some of the cheesy horror movies from the 80s (without the excessive nudity [damnit! :evil: ]), it has the same feel as some of the cheesier horror flicks with some comedy. 976-EVIL, Student Bodies, Night of the Demons, etc. And on top of that it mixes high school in, which is always good in a show. I don't like some of the monster of the week crap, besides some of them are just plain dumb (the monsters, not necessarily the episode).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 11th 2003, 5:19 pm

Let's see how sucked in you get. I never thought I could feel so passionately about a tv show. Perhaps if MSCL had been on longer, I would have developed a similar emotional investment. The difference is that I loved Angela because she reminded me of myself, and Jordan reminded me of the first guy who broke my heart. Buffy, on the other hand, reminds me almost nothing of myself (for many obvious reasons) but I have grown to love the characters as if they are real. Watching for seven years will do that, I guess, but I find it a little strange that sometimes a Buffy character will do something and I feel personally betrayed by their actions - that's some serious emotional investment!

:oops:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Mar 11th 2003, 10:37 pm

Fnordboy,

Yup, I can hear that giant sucking sound, no its not NAFTA (at least I don't think it is?) that is the sound of another Buffy recruit. Don't worry about Angel just focus on the rest of Season 2 Buffy and then see if you are ready for Season 3.

My favorite line regarding Buffy is a comment attributed to Joss Whedon. Someone asked him when he first started Buffy what was it about. He said that it was a horror anthology set in a high school. The friend said, Isn't that redundant? :D

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: buffy

Post by fnordboy » Mar 20th 2003, 11:38 pm

lance wrote:Fnordboy,

Yup, I can hear that giant sucking sound, no its not NAFTA (at least I don't think it is?) that is the sound of another Buffy recruit. Don't worry about Angel just focus on the rest of Season 2 Buffy and then see if you are ready for Season 3.
Better NAFTA than NAMBLA :shock:

Seriously though, I dont htink I can wait, I might have to pick up season 3 soon My season 2 is nearing its end. The only episode I had a real problem with so far is "Killed by Death", that was a painful one to get through, kept putting me to sleep lol.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 20th 2003, 11:58 pm

Ha ha! I thought Killed by Death seemed to last more than an hour :wink:

At that point in the season, they were beginning to veer away from the Monster of the Week stuff - a lot more of the story arcs (Dru and Spike, Angelus, etc) but KbD was a very unwelcome return to MonsterVision. Plus it was literally very dark - all those dimly lit hospital hallways at night.

Keep an eye out for Cameron in Go Fish - he went to my high school (and played Todd on Sweet Valley High)! *sniff* Getting emotional just thinking about the S2 finale - I might have to watch it again just for the cathartic properties.

Go get S3 at Costco - you have two and a half months to watch all 22 episodes before S4 is released in June. Aren't I Bossy McBosserson tonight?!

fnordboy wrote:My only fear is that I will have to get into Angel next
Not that I'm trying to convince you to spend more of your hard earned money on Everything Joss, but Angel is a lot darker and...I hesitate to use the words "mature" or "adult" because that implies that Buffy is an immature show for teenagers, but Angel has a more serious tone (and not in the Buffy S6 kind of way!).

Even though I'm not a die hard Angel fan and I quit watching for over a year, I picked up Angel S1 - lots of Buffy guest stars that year (Oz, Spike, Buffy, and Faith all show up, and Cordelia and Wesley are regulars). Don't worry about Angel S1 until you see Buffy S3 though. One step at a time (and I'm big on chronology) - bet you never would have guessed that :wink:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 21st 2003, 12:12 am

candygirl wrote:Ha ha! I thought Killed by Death seemed to last more than an hour :wink:
Glad it wasn't just me. :)

Aren't I Bossy McBosserson tonight?!
Tonight??? I thought it was terminal :twisted:
Not that I'm trying to convince you to spend more of your hard earned money on Everything Joss, but Angel is a lot darker and...I hesitate to use the words "mature" or "adult" because that implies that Buffy is an immature show for teenagers, but Angel has a more serious tone (and not in the Buffy S6 kind of way!).
Well I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will end up getting it eventually I am too much of a completist to not.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 21st 2003, 12:51 am

Aren't I Bossy McBosserson tonight?!
Tonight??? I thought it was terminal :twisted:
:shock:

I am shocked!

Hee hee, okay I'm not.

Well I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will end up getting it eventually I am too much of a completist to not.
Whatever excuse you need to rationalize buying Angel.

How is your girlfriend taking your Buffy viewings?

:P

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 21st 2003, 12:55 am

candygirl wrote: How is your girlfriend taking your Buffy viewings?
Err..uh.. she doesnt quite know yet :oops:

I actually want her to watch them, I think she may like it, atleast for the high school factor of it. But I think the monster of the week will turn her off as well as buffy herself lol.

I need to tell her lol, i feel dirty :( , but I know she will mock me incessantly about it lol.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 21st 2003, 1:14 am

Wow, if you've been watching on the sly I'm totally impressed that you have ripped through almost two seasons in less than two months!

Buffy used to be my guilty pleasure too. It's time to come out of the closet! You'll know you're totally obsessed when you consider going to a convention. I haven't been to any yet, but there is a cool one in Pasadena this weekend with cast members from Star Wars, Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voyager, B5, and the original series), Angel, Buffy, and Firefly. And we're not talking Scrub Who Was Killed on the Away Mission kind of appearances - Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, Worf, Troi, Quark, Leia, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Boba Fett, Spike, Xander, Dru, Jonathan, Lorne, Clem, Zoe. Yup, I'm officially out and proud!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy/angel

Post by lance » Mar 21st 2003, 11:13 pm

candygirl wrote:Ha ha! I thought Killed by Death seemed to last more than an hour :wink:

At that point in the season, they were beginning to veer away from the Monster of the Week stuff - a lot more of the story arcs (Dru and Spike, Angelus, etc) but KbD was a very unwelcome return to MonsterVision. Plus it was literally very dark - all those dimly lit hospital hallways at night.

Keep an eye out for Cameron in Go Fish - he went to my high school (and played Todd on Sweet Valley High)! *sniff* Getting emotional just thinking about the S2 finale - I might have to watch it again just for the cathartic properties.

Go get S3 at Costco - you have two and a half months to watch all 22 episodes before S4 is released in June. Aren't I Bossy McBosserson tonight?!

fnordboy wrote:My only fear is that I will have to get into Angel next

Even though I'm not a die hard Angel fan and I quit watching for over a year, I picked up Angel S1 - lots of Buffy guest stars that year (Oz, Spike, Buffy, and Faith all show up, and Cordelia and Wesley are regulars). Don't worry about Angel S1 until you see Buffy S3 though. One step at a time (and I'm big on chronology) - bet you never would have guessed that :wink:
Interesting analysis of Angel versus Buffy. The digital bits reviewer of Angel Season one compared it to Star Trek Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. In both cases Deep Space Nine and Angel are darker, but so much worth it.

Fnordboy, as Angel is significantly cheaper than Deep Space Nine, go for Angel.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Mar 21st 2003, 11:15 pm

fnordboy wrote:
candygirl wrote: How is your girlfriend taking your Buffy viewings?
Err..uh.. she doesnt quite know yet :oops:

I actually want her to watch them, I think she may like it, atleast for the high school factor of it. But I think the monster of the week will turn her off as well as buffy herself lol.

I need to tell her lol, i feel dirty :( , but I know she will mock me incessantly about it lol.
At first my wife just couldn't get into Buffy. Now though she knows the names of the characters and occasionally even watches one with me. My only piece of unsoliticed advice is: persistence and patience will often the Buffy fan make.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 21st 2003, 11:58 pm

Yes, we wear people down with our good old fashioned relentlessness.

Like I said elsewhere, my boyfriend claims he doesn't watch Buffy but he knows most of the characters' names and laughs whenever Willow says, "I think I'm kinda gay" (sadly, she has said this WAY too many times) or whenever Spike starts getting sassy.

Since I just bought the Angel S1 set, I am working on getting him familiar with that set of characters too.

:twisted: