Gilmore Girls Discussion

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 5th 2003, 11:11 am

It wasn't the best ep I've ever seen, but it was good watching her parents freak out... and I think there was a lot of underlying plot issues that will play out later.

I like that fact that Luke has started to move on, and watching Jess try and help him out was great. But I'm still wondering about Dave and (I just blanked on her name, Rorys best friend) I'd like to see more of that played out...

Anyway I'm going to stop talking about this cause I'm starting to feel unmanly about it. :oops:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 5th 2003, 1:21 pm

mglenn wrote:But I'm still wondering about Dave and (I just blanked on her name, Rorys best friend) I'd like to see more of that played out...
Lane. I love the Lane and Dave storyline.
Anyway I'm going to stop talking about this cause I'm starting to feel unmanly about it.
Aw, shucks, mglenn. Then who would I talk to about it? :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 5th 2003, 2:48 pm

Last nights episode was pretty good compared to the others this season, so far my favorite episode this season is the dance marathon episode too. I hope that the writing starts to improve so the show will be back to level it was in the first two seasons. This season I am not as excited to watch each episode and sometimes I find myself forgetting to watch. It upsets me that Jess one of the bright spots in the show will not be on next season because he is getting his own spinoff show. I hope that they bring in another character that brings the qualities to the show that he does. Oh and if they put Rory back with Dean without giving his character some more dimension like Jess I will be upset.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 6th 2003, 5:27 pm

I agree, this weeks episode ("Dear Emily and Richard", 3x13) was way better than the last three or four episodes. There's a big difference between episodes written by ASP (Amy Sherman-Palladino) and episodes written by other screenwriters. ASP's episodes have much more funny details and depth, the dialogs are faster and "wittier". For me, even some very small things in an episode have a big impact - e.g. the scene where Lorelai tells Rory she should drop that stuff from the Inn "somewhere by the door" and Rory just drops the packet instantly right in the middle of the way ... or the hilarious pantomimic "performance" of Jess and Luke in front of the Diner. Details like that are missing from the other episodes.

And when they played "99 Luftballons" in the german version, I was instantly put back into my own youth... Nena was *by far* my favorite musician in the 80s... oh those were the days... 8)

I hope that ASP won't leave "Gilmore Girls" completely for the Jess Spin-Off, because GG won't be the same without her writing. But I'm still wondering how they're going to make things work in the next season. In the US are college freshman (especially at the Ivy League schools) required to live "on-campus", right? So Rory has to live at Yale (I don't think that anybody still thinks that she's going to Harvard ;-)) next season - away from Stars Hollows and Lorelai... :-(

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 6th 2003, 6:00 pm

sab wrote:So Rory has to live at Yale
Yes but it opens the door for her to be ask to join Skull & Bones and maybe meet the President! :)

But then if I was writing this, and you should be glad I'm not, Richard would have a spooky looking grandfather clock somewhere in his house or office that is five minutes fast and he would constantly be asking Emily not to reset it to regular time but never say why.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 6th 2003, 6:07 pm

I was somewhat disappointed in this week's episode. I thought that it could be so much more. I was disappointed in the actress that played Lorelai, and I really didn't like the actor that played the young Christopher.

As for next season, I think that they will have Rory go to Yale and commute (still live at home). I don't know about Ivy League schools, but I think that is possible.

The best part of last night's epsiode was when the lawyer's cell phone rang, and in the background, Luke was trying to cover Loreila's mouth as she was pointing to the infamous, "No cell phone" sign. LOL! I thought that was brilliant interaction between both characters.

I am not a fan of Jess. The writers brought him on, gave him dimension, mainly by taking away Dean's dimension. They "stupified" Dean, as far as I am concerned, to make Jess look better to Rory. Very bad writing in my opinion. I can't wait until Milo leaves for his new show. Good riddance.

What was up with Sherry's hair? How could they not explain that change from brown to platinum blonde? I realize pregnant women should not bleach or dye their hair, but that is no reason for the writers to ignore that and assume that the viewers wouldn't notice, or better off, not care. I think that the writer's missed an opportune chance for Rory and Lorelai to make fun of the new hairstyle. (I realize Madchen Amick probably dyed it for another role, but, still...)

The invitation to the C-section cracked me up. "And I have to bring a present!" Wow. Unbelievable. But funny!! :lol: "Sherry screwed up!"
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 9th 2003, 7:11 pm

for references and spoilers:

http://www.gilmoregirls.org
http://www.gilmore-girls.net
http://www.gilmoregirls.com

I know that Tristan wont be coming back but that would be like old times :)
Btw, I think Jess would kick his ass if he tried anything.
----------------
Make it count.

crispy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by crispy » Feb 9th 2003, 7:45 pm

I started watching Gilmore Girls in season 2 and loved the way the writers seemed to be building up to Rory and Jess being soulmates...having just enough common interests to be compatible, and just enough differences to create a spark.

It seemed like they could both learn a lot from eachother - Rory (who cares far too much what other people think and needs a backbone, in my opinion) could learn from Jess to stand up for herself more and put her own needs first. Meanwhile Jess (who doesn't give a damn about fitting in, or being well-liked by the community) could be inspired by Rory to be a little more considerate of others.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed in season 3 so far. Something's missing. And suddenly Jess and Rory don't discuss books anymore - they just kiss. I mean it really bugged me - in the otherwise perfect scene where they first kissed, Jess said something like "well no matter what else happens between us, at least we know *that* works" Grrr. Like their relationship is based on lust?! This season Jess is being written as more shallow, ignoring the fact that he and Rory had this intellectual connection - not just physical attraction! Now Jess comes across as a stereotypical "bad boy", instead of a more complex character? :x

And the whole spin-off thing disgusts me. It's such a sell-out! For some reason I thought this show was better than that...you know? I didn't think it would cave to network pressure and try to create a "franchise" to make more money. I think the quality of the original show *always* suffers when they start a spin-off. It's inevitable when the creator is spread too thin.

And when they slowly build up Jess and Rory's relationship only to tear them apart soon after they get together...well...that's a pretty cliched TV move. Bleh. The show's getting more popular so I guess that ensures it will get more shallow and dumbed-down for the masses.

I'd still buy season 1 and 2 on DVD, if it ever gets released. But I'm so disillusioned with the show now - because I admired the writing so much before - I'm not looking forward to new episodes like I used to. I don't really *care* anymore. :(

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 10:33 am

crispy wrote:And when they slowly build up Jess and Rory's relationship only to tear them apart soon after they get together...well...that's a pretty cliched TV move. Bleh. The show's getting more popular so I guess that ensures it will get more shallow and dumbed-down for the masses.
Look's like Jess' character is falling prey to the same death as Dean's character. What you just described as happening to Jess, is what they did to Dean last season.

I will admit that Jess and Rory had more chemistry than Rory and Dean. But Milo is such a terrible actor, (although he is getting better), and the bad boy routine is getting old fast. We. Get. It. He is a bad ass with a bad ass attitude. Enough already. Show more Lane and David!

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 11:03 am

I think you guys/girls need to put Jess in a bit more context, remember he's never met a girl like Rory... he usually dates brainless bimbos. So he's currently treating Rory only slightly better than he treated any of them.

Now if they play on that or not before the spin off is anyones guess but, from a guys point of view its hard to change how you treat the girls you date when you meet one that doesn't fit the mold of the girls you ussually date.

Ok I'll stop waxing philosophical cause its Monday morning and I can't justify having a beer this early.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 11:24 am

mglenn wrote:I think you guys/girls need to put Jess in a bit more context, remember he's never met a girl like Rory... he usually dates brainless bimbos. So he's currently treating Rory only slightly better than he treated any of them.

Now if they play on that or not before the spin off is anyones guess but, from a guys point of view its hard to change how you treat the girls you date when you meet one that doesn't fit the mold of the girls you ussually date.

Ok I'll stop waxing philosophical cause its Monday morning and I can't justify having a beer this early.
That's one of my problems when I was a teenage girl. I didn't always give boys the chance to grow up or learn. I was expecting them to act how I wanted them to act. How I needed them to act. I was too hard on them. That's why I loved Graham's speech in Dancing in The Dark, about boys not always knowing how to be what we want them to be. I wish someone would've explained that to me when I was 15!

Still. I am not a Jess fan, so I have no patience for his character. I wish he'd grow up and be a man already! :wink:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 11:29 am

And it wasn't until I watched that scene with Graham and Angela later (like, a few months ago) did it occur to me that it was hard learning how to be a man. I never really understood why men/boys messed up so much in the eyes of a woman/girl. Why coulldn't they just be a man? But Graham/Winnie et. al explained it so beautifully in that scene that it was like a light bulb going off above my head. :idea: :!:

But I still wish that men will learn how to be men sooner, and not use that as an excuse every time they mess up. Admittedly, it must be hard to live up to a girl's impossibly romantic standards. I have to not be so hard on them! :oops:

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 10th 2003, 2:59 pm

Although I like Dean I disagree with you about Jess. Jess is a very good comedic actor. I love all the scenes that he has with Luke and I find them some of the best parts of any episode. Although Jess doesn't treat Rory exactly how she should be treated, I don't think she should go back to Dean. There was absolutely no spark between Dean and Rory every, any romantic scene between them always looked forced or awkard to me.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 3:24 pm

chocolatebuttons wrote:Although I like Dean I disagree with you about Jess. Jess is a very good comedic actor. I love all the scenes that he has with Luke and I find them some of the best parts of any episode. Although Jess doesn't treat Rory exactly how she should be treated, I don't think she should go back to Dean. There was absolutely no spark between Dean and Rory every, any romantic scene between them always looked forced or awkard to me.
Agreed. I said before that Rory and Jess have more chemistry together than Dean and Rory. But what Rory did to Dean (stringing him along) for all that time was terrible. And the writers did no justice to the Dean character the way they started writing him when Jess came on.

I don't agree about Milo. I admit that he is getting better at acting (he was terrible at first!), but I wouldn't say he is a "very good comedic actor". I think the actor that plays Luke makes him better. The actor that plays Luke has very good comedic timing, so I think he makes Milo look good by default.

I am very interested in how his spin-off is going to be played off. I am sure that there will be a lot of crossovers in the beginning, so that should be interesting.
Last edited by Megs on Feb 10th 2003, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 3:27 pm

I don't think that Rory and Dean should get back together, either. But I don't think that she should be with Jess. You know who I think would make a cute couple? Dean and Lane. Yup. And sometimes, I think Lorelai and Dean have good chemistry. Sick, huh? :wink:

But I would love to see Lorelai and Luke together some day. I think they have excellent chemistry and they play off each other really well.