Gilmore Girls Discussion

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 4:52 pm

Dean and Rory...any romantic scene between them always looked forced or awkard to me.
Couldn't have any thing to do with the fact that Rory only comes up to his waist. I would think it would be hard to hold a conversation with the top of your girlfriends head?

But what Rory did to Dean (stringing him along) for all that time was terrible.
I still think its a context issue. Dean was Rory's first boyfriend, she wouldn't know how to react to a lot of the situations. So to say that she was stringing him along would be a strech for me. (I don't know if they ever covered whether Rory was Dean's first girlfriend, but if so the reverse is equally true) Speaking for myself I would say that watching episodes of my first dating experiences would look worse than forced.

Maybe the issue is that in all those awkward sit's with Rory and Dean we didn't have the voice overs like Angela gave when she was talking to Jordan. Angela gave us much more insight into how she was thinking. With Rory all we have is what she says to other characters and body langauge.

As far as Milo's acting I think he was trying to hard to be a bad boy version of Luke. Now that he's got some ep's under his belt he's finding his own feet for the character. So I have to wonder if the earlier ep's of Jess were not more of the directors fault for not giving him enough to work with.
But I would love to see Lorelai and Luke together some day. I think they have excellent chemistry and they play off each other really well.
I think that whole relationship is a play that is very similar to "In Dreams..." from MSCL. With Luke as a version of Brian and Lorelai as Angela. Luke sits on the side lines and watches as she dates the other guy and secretly pines for her... ya ya its not exact as well it shouldn't be, but there are alot of similarities in my opinion.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 10:04 am

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD FOR LAST NIGHTS EPISODE!!!

I really enjoyed last nights show. The little bit with Dave and Lane was great!!! :lol: "Your a christian Dave, and thats ok!" :D And the look on Lorelai's face when they were planing on where to meet so the guys wouldn't know was classic.

As for the Jess situation I think the talk he had with Luke in the boat really showed that he doesn't know how to act around Rory. He's use to dating girls who want nothing to do with their family's, you know rebelion and all. And the swan thing that was hilarious!!!

Now the bit at the end that was a left turn when I was expecting a right... The fact that she was saying that "it" was almost certainly going to happen was a bit of a defining moment.

On one side I see the possiblity of there being no Yale/Harvard because of the results of such actions, but given the general lightheartedness of the rest of the show I think the situation will happen but Rory will somehow back out before the final act.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 12th 2003, 10:20 am

I haven't yet watched last night's episode, but now I can't wait after readingyour review. Last week was such a disappointment to me. It had the possibility of being so much more.

Did anyone watch Smallville?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 10:40 am

I split the Smallville Discussion to its own thread here.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 12th 2003, 11:25 am

mglenn wrote:I split the Smallville Discussion to its own thread here.
Thanks. Sorry 'bout that.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 11:40 am

Not even an issue. Thats what moderation is for. :)

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 12th 2003, 2:33 pm

I loved last nights episode. I am glad that the finally addressed the "it" situation. I hope some mothers were watching the show so that they know that discussing this with your daughter and being realistic is a lot better than yelling and ordering. I don't think that Rory will go through with it anytime in the near future though. I really thought they were adding some depth to Emily's character (in the way every grandmother is suppose to love her granddaughter no matter what), but they ruined it when she went on that rant with Loralei about Jess. I wished they had left that out. I really like the guy that Loralei is dating, but am still hoping for a Luke or Loralei moment before the season ends, but at a minimum early next season.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 12th 2003, 3:11 pm

mglenn wrote:And the look on Lorelai's face when they were planing on where to meet so the guys wouldn't know was classic.
Yeah, that was hilarious! :-) "Oh, that's not complicated" ... A true Lane moment :-)

Another good moment was Rory's "Is she still looking?" at the beginning of the episode after Emilys talk.
Now the bit at the end that was a left turn when I was expecting a right... The fact that she was saying that "it" was almost certainly going to happen was a bit of a defining moment.
Another "me too". After the scene between Lorelai and Rory at the beginning of the episode where Rory said that she "didn't have the time to think about it", I expected that topic to be over for at least 3 or 4 episodes. But once again, the Palladinos surprised me :-) But it was really about time to cover the "sex topic" in GG.

The only boring scene in this episode was the performance of Miss Patty. Way too long.
chocolatebuttons wrote:I really like the guy that Loralei is dating, but am still hoping for a Luke or Loralei moment before the season ends, but at a minimum early next season.
I think that there will happen something at the end of this season. The season started with Lorelai & Luke together (even if it was only a dream ;-)) and I guess the screenwriters will somehow refer to that in the final episode. Maybe even a Luke & Lorelai cliffhanger...

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 3:31 pm

sab wrote:The only boring scene in this episode was the performance of Miss Patty. Way too long.
Agreed!

Did anyone else get the impression that Rory looked different? I wanna say older but I'm not sure thats it. Her hair has changed but something else too and I couldn't put my finger on it... I was thinking this ep may have been filmed during Tuck Everlasting but that was quite sometime ago...

Did anyone see Tuck Everlasting?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 12th 2003, 5:38 pm

mglenn wrote:Did anyone else get the impression that Rory looked different?
Yeah, I noticed that too, but wasn't sure. Not only her hair changed, but I think she had more makeup on - like on some of the official WB season 3 promo pictures. (Geez, this is really getting more and more an "unmanly" topic ;-))
I wanna say older but I'm not sure thats it. Her hair has changed but something else too and I couldn't put my finger on it... I was thinking this ep may have been filmed during Tuck Everlasting but that was quite sometime ago...
Maybe that was the first episode shot after the winter break.
Did anyone see Tuck Everlasting?
Not yet, only the trailer. I'm not sure whether it ever came to the big screen over here. But if it comes to PayTV or if I find a DVD for rent, I'll watch it. Did you see it?

BTW: Does anybody know how big Lauren Grahams part in "Bad Santa" will be? Is she one of the main cast?

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 13th 2003, 5:07 am

I've seen Tuck Everlasting. Quite nice film.

This last episode.. Some ups was definitly that There was some Rory and Jess interaction, I mean they haven't been filmed much being together for a few episodes now. Besides that I always like to see Dean again. I was thinking about something. I mean, the swan thing was real right? And then Jess lied to Rory. We know he's most likely gonna leave the show. But what's gonna happen with Rory/Dean if that happens? I'm sorry to run ahead like this because there should be so much more to come between Rory/Jess but what if they made it a really nice, romantic way for Rory and Dean to get back together later on. Or maybe they're just gonna be friends but that'll be nice too. Hmm. There must be some new "thug" if Jess goes.
It should get interesting when Rory starts Yale also... But what about Paris? Will she go to Harvard?

Btw, have anyone seen "Taken"? The Francie-character has a mayor role in it. She seems a lot older in Taken, though.

And the Lane/Dave thing is going quite well. I really liked when Dave bumped into Mrs. Kim. And it was good the other guys didn't spoil it. I so figured they would.

I could go on forever but I'll stop here.
----------------
Make it count.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 13th 2003, 11:03 am

sab wrote:Geez, this is really getting more and more an "unmanly" topic :wink:
<Cough> ah.. Ya I didn't watch Gilmore Girls I was... ah out adjusting something under the hood of my car and .. ah.. drinkin a beer.. ya thats it, thats the ticket!
like on some of the official WB season 3 promo pictures.
I guess it is sweeps week too!

I haven't seen Tuck yet, just the trailer. I'll see it on PayPerView.
KrokRos wrote:Btw, have anyone seen "Taken"? The Francie-character has a mayor role in it.
I saw it but I don't recall seeing her, but then its not real fresh in my mind cause I got to see it in like October cause we got a copy here at the cable company! :D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 13th 2003, 12:05 pm

I also liked the same parts of the episode: Lane and David, David and his friends running into Mrs. Kim ("Maybe I hire your Trio. Shake it up a bit." hee!)...

But I was disappointed in the Rory/Lorelai sex talk at the ned of the show. I thought that Lorelai would handle it better than that. Talk about birth control, talk about really being ready, etc. But she was so shocked that she didn't say anything? That just struck me as being out of charcter for Lorelai. I know she was expecting this (her daughter is 18, after all), so I was surprised at how she acted. The first conversation they had where Rory said that she had too many things going on to even think about "it" was good. But why can't she say sex? If you can't say it, you shouldn't do it.

Also, Jess is an ass. He doesn't know how to treat girls like Rory? Wahhh! Grow up! So he's not used to girls with dimension. Wow. Yeah, ok, what does Rory see in him (besides the obvious sexual chemistry)? I know she's 18, but Rory is not a typical 18 year old girl. That's the premis of the show. So why is she dating this chump?

I did like the Luke and Jess talk out on the lake. I love Luke.

And my favorite part of the episode? "Dave. You're Christian. That's o-k." "Just don't make us play any Creed. Or Amy Grant. That's where I draw the line." :lol:

Emily brings so much depth to her character and the show. The show would not be the same without her in it. I always enjoy the scenes with her.

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 16th 2003, 12:57 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Oh shoot! I had gotten over the hope of seeing Tristan again.
I didn't even think he would fit in anymore. I bet he WONT come back but this article wasn't nice to my feelings. :D

From Gilmoreguide.tripod.com:

Milo talks about the new spin-off series.

A Solo Milo: "Say it ain't so!" That would be how I greeted Milo Ventimiglia at the WB party, after hearing he's getting his own spinoff from Gilmore Girls in the fall. "I'm afraid it is," he said with that trademark make-you-melt smile.

After the requisite congratulations, I asked Milo if he, too, felt a little pang of mourning for the passing of Rory and Jess. "Yes, I suppose it is a little sad," Milo said. "But I don't think they'll be completely out of each other's lives. I think the relationship that Rory and Jess have, they're getting into being close friends. So, I think it's one of those relationships that will last past being boyfriend and girlfriend."

That said, you can rack up this spinoff as one of the best-kept secrets in Hollywood.

"The cast found out today, with the rest of the world," revealed Liza Weil, who plays Paris. "It was crazy! That poor guy [Milo] has had to keep it a secret from us for, like, five months. But I think it's great. It's a good idea, and people love Milo. He's so insanely good-looking."

And how. But Milo said keeping the secret wasn't as tough as it seemed. "The concept was presented to me by [creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] before the season even started," he explained. "And she just said, 'Look, don't talk about it.' To be honest, I sort of forgot about it until they contacted my manager and agent, and then everything moved really fast."

Still, they do have a few things to sort out. Like, say, a name and a cast. For now, they've got Milo and the concept. "The show is about Jess and his estranged father, who I've never met in my whole life. They've been working on casting my dad for some time now, probably about a month and a half, but they were waiting until the announcement to make a choice."

Of course, the casting news we really want to know is who's going to fill the enormous shoes of Rory's love interest next season. Later at the party, I asked Chad Michael Murray (there to promote his Lone Ranger miniseries) if maybe Tristan would rise to the occasion. "I don't know," he said. "I just found out about the spinoff, like, five minutes ago! I think there's always a possibility that I'll come back. And you know, I would like to, so we'll see."

E! Online
Wanda
January 2003
----------------
Make it count.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 19th 2003, 4:18 pm

I saw the preview for Tristan's movie, The Lone Ranger. Wow. I laughed out loud at the scene where the girl asks him if she can join him, and then gets nekkid. Whatever. Tristan! What are you doing? Come back to Gilmore Girls and save Rory from that wretched Jess!

I haven't had a chance to watch last night's episode yet, but what did everyone think? I am looking forward to seeing Dean in a hockey uniform. :oops:

I will post again after I watch it tonight, but I am looking forward to hearing what other people thought.