Gilmore Girls Discussion

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 19th 2003, 5:17 pm

Megs wrote:I haven't had a chance to watch last night's episode yet, but what did everyone think? I am looking forward to seeing Dean in a hockey uniform. :oops:
3x15, "Face Off", was IMHO quite good, it had funny dialogues and good camera work. Luke finally found his shaver and even got a hair cut, Kelly Bishop aka Emily delivered an amazing performance, Dean has finally a new girlfriend, Trix kisses old men in purple jogging suits and there are no "half times" in ice hockey ;-). The Dave/Lane/Mrs. Kim storyline was a little bit boring - nothing really new there. And I miss Paris. Geez, there are really too many characters on that show :-).

But then there are the final scenes of this episode. A typical February Sweeps cliffhanger, I guess. Did something happen? Why didn't Rory tell Lorelai that she spent the night with Jess? Some fans think that Rory and Jess might have had sex, but I'm not convinced. I guess that Rory was just disappointed because Jess does not have the same "qualities" like Dean and maybe she was a bit jealous. But still, who knows what happened really when Jess & Rory went to the concert...

All in all, a nice episode. No highlight, but 41 minutes very good entertainment.

blue_moon_34
Nicky Driscoll

Post by blue_moon_34 » Feb 19th 2003, 10:20 pm

i liked the other nights episode. i liked the whole lane and dave thing, i didn't think it was boring at all. when lane was at the hockey game with her "date" and dave ran all the way there just to see her. it was so cute. he was jealous. and i loved the band playing christian music. it cracked me up.

i don't think rory and jess had sex, atleast i hope not. they have really ruined his character this season. i know rory is getting old so it's about time for her to have sex but i don't want it with jess.

and kirk was beautiful in this episode. can't help but love him.

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 25th 2003, 5:44 pm

OMG, I never thought about it. I was so puzzled by Rory's expression in the end. Well, I guess time will tell. Maybe they had sex. Maybe they did. It's a total darkness for me right now.

Damn it. You all might see the big one in a couple of hours. I have to wait half a day. I can't help but read the spoilers but this time I think the spoilers must have left much out.

I sooo love Dean. If he'd leave the show I think I'd stop watching.
But.. The spinn-off thing. Would be interesting. But I wonder if it could be a bigger hit than GG. I doubt it.
----------------
Make it count.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 25th 2003, 5:59 pm

KrokRos wrote:I can't help but read the spoilers but this time I think the spoilers must have left much out.
I don't think so. It's February Sweeps, so the networks will do anything to confuse their viewers to make their shows more attractive. I think Rory would have said to Lorelai something if she and Jess had sex.
I sooo love Dean. If he'd leave the show I think I'd stop watching.
But.. The spinn-off thing. Would be interesting. But I wonder if it could be a bigger hit than GG. I doubt it.
Dean-SPOILER:
http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/hol ... id=1824433
http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archi ... 3314,85288,

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 26th 2003, 8:19 am

Hmm...
-> sounds cool. It should take a while before that gets going.
-> Oh I hope the new gf isn't a qiuck ending of his character.

Well... I'm off to see The Big One.
----------------
Make it count.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 11:49 am

What did you think of The Big One?

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NOT YET WATCHED IT!

I pretty much figured that Rory and Jess have not had sex yet. I love Paris, and I am so happy that they are back to being friendly (Rory and Paris). The scene right before they were going in to give their speeches was great with Paris psyching everyone out. I love EvilParis.

Paris had sex with Jamie! That was great how she blurted it out to Rory and wanted to debate it. I cried with her after the CSPAN debate debacle where she was crying on the steps to Rory about whether or not Jamie will still respect her, and how she is now being punished. Which leads me to:

NO WAY Paris did not get into Harvard and Rory did. NO WAY. I am so against the writers for doing this. Yeah. We. Get. It. Rory is perfect and does nothing wrong and got into every Ivy League school she applied to. WHATEVER. Seriously. Paris deserved and worked hard for that for her whole life. She even had to tell Rory things to make her look better to Harvard (i.e. belonging to extracuricular activities, volunteering, etc.). That really pissed me off. Poor Paris.

Sookie is pregnant! So cool for her and Jackson. I love their characters. I loved the scene where Lorelai and Sookie both figure out at the same time that she is pregnant. It made me smile. :)

Kirk being the postman was hilarious. I guess he really is the Jack of all Trades in Stars Hollow. I enjoyed the scene in the market when he had all the letters scattered all over the floor. But I need more Dean! More Dean!!

No Jess = Good. :wink:

Max is back. I admit that I liked Max. It was good to hear all the characters tell Lorelai the turth that she really was mean to him and that he is such a nice guy. Which he is, if a tad boring. But that kiss they shared was so sweet. I wonder what this means for Lorelai and Alex.

I also need more Luke. Please. And that one scene in the beginning where Rory, Lane, and Lorelai are teasing him about the new menus got cruel at the end. Lorelai can be mean. :(

That's about all I have to say about that. For now. What did everyone else think?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 26th 2003, 3:17 pm

I wanted more out of this episode.

I also feel that Paris desirved to get into Harvard. I don't understand it. But wasn't it even so that she didn't apply for any other? I got that feeling somehow before. But she must have. Otherwise her life would be over now.

The Max-kiss was pretty sweet. I wonder what's gonna happen with that..

I want more Jess/Dean interactions. Anyone know any good written fanfiction? :)
----------------
Make it count.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 3:44 pm

KrokRos wrote:I want more Jess/Dean interactions. Anyone know any good written fanfiction? :)
Maybe check out http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com. I know the posters on the GG Forum there write a ton of FanFic.

I really wish that it was Dean that gave Jess that black eye in "Swan Song". :o
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 26th 2003, 3:55 pm

Megs wrote:What did you think of The Big One?

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NOT YET WATCHED IT!
I really liked it. One of my favorite episodes of this season so far. It focused on a few main storylines and didn't get distracted too much by too many B-stories. I'm glad that Taylor didn't appear in this episode - he almost had more dialogue in the past episodes than Kirk (who is a Regular on the show).

The episode had many highlights, too many to list'em all. My favorites include everything Kirk did ;-), Lorelai bringing Luke almost to a nervous breakdown, the phone conference with the headmaster, Paris chasing Rory through the house with her sex story, Lorelai celebrating "I've got the good girl", Paris' meltdown with the C-SPAN logo in the picture and finally "You're the biggest virgin in this world" at the end. I was a bit disappointed with Jacksons reaction to Sookies pregnancy - that could have been funnier.

About Rory getting into Harvard and Paris not: I agree, it's not very believable. But I rather have that small "glitch" in this episode than to miss Liza Weil's meltdown performance ... it was hilarious :) And I hope that it opens somehow the door for Liza staying on the show for another season. With already two regulars leaving, the show would loose too much if Liza Weil would leave too. So if she goes with Rory to Yale, we'll see a lot more of "EvilParis" :)

Oh, and Max is finally back ... thats good ... let's see for how long.
Last edited by Sascha on Feb 26th 2003, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 5:41 pm

Lorelai celebrating "I've got the good girl"
"You're the biggest virgin in this world" at the end
I did not quite enjoy those moments so much. I figure it must have been tongue in cheek, but what is the message here? That if you sleep with your boyfriend of sereval months, and you both are in love, you will be punished? And if you are still a virgin, you get everything? Maybe if she said, "I've got A good girl", and not "I've got THE good girl", I would feel differently. Is Paris bad because she slept with Jamie?

The writers are dangerously close to making Rory another Joey Potter. I'm so perfect, all the boys love me, I get into all THREE Ivy League schools I applied to, nah-nah-nah-neener-neener! Give that girl some real disappointment and heartache, please!

And I hope that it opens somehow the door for Liza staying on the show for another season. With already two regulars leaving, the show would loose too much if Liza Weil would leave too. So if she goes with Rory to Yale, we'll see a lot more of "EvilParis"
That is the only acceptable reason that I will accept for Paris not getting accepted to Harvard. After all, it was probably just a plot contrivance. No matter how crazy I sound, this show is not real. :oops:

What a brilliant performance we saw from Liza Weil last night.

And no Emily = :twisted:

And lots of Richard = :D
Last edited by Megs on Feb 26th 2003, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 5:42 pm

Megs wrote: That is the only acceptable reason that I will accept for Paris not getting accepted to Harvard.
Wow. How 'bout that usage of the word "accept"?

:roll:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 26th 2003, 6:24 pm

Megs wrote:
Lorelai celebrating "I've got the good girl"
"You're the biggest virgin in this world" at the end
I did not quite enjoy those moments so much. I figure it must have been tongue in cheek, but what is the message here? That if you sleep with your boyfriend of sereval months, and you both are in love, you will be punished? And if you are still a virgin, you get everything? Maybe if she said, "I've got A good girl", and not "I've got THE good girl", I would feel differently. Is Paris bad because she slept with Jamie?
I admit, I see GG primarily as a comedy show - so I don't take it too seriously. Stars Hollow is a fictional happy world of its own - noone is really sad or hurt in this town - everything is political correct and clean and sex is still "the bad thing". If I'd consider this show as a real drama (in a league with "Once & Again" or MSCL), I'd have probably stopped watching the show long ago. What I like about the comedy "Gilmore Girls" is the way how the writers don't seem to take their own show too seriously (at least sometimes IMHO) and make fun of this "perfect world" - and the way the characters are written. So I mostly just ignore the PC messages and focus on the fun stuff :)

So the reason why I liked Lorelai talking about her "good girl" is because of the way she said it -- the way this scene was funny and cute. You're totally right, as soon as one thinks about the obvious "family friendly" message of this episode ("Sex=Bad"), it's not so enjoyable at all.
The writers are dangerously close to making Rory another Joey Potter. I'm so perfect, all the boys love me, I get into all THREE Ivy League schools I applied to, nah-nah-nah-neener-neener!
Yeah, the show risks to become more and more "Rory's Creek" - at least the storylines involving teenagers. That's one of the reasons why I have some doubts about the next season when many storylines will focus on Rory's college life (Did somebody say "Felicity"? ;-)).

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 26th 2003, 6:58 pm

I think it is plausible that Paris didn't get into Harvard. Although getting into college depends on your school work, after school activities and volunteer work; in todays society nothing is guaranteed. The committees that meet to decide who gets into a university often have trival ways of deciding who is better. For example take Rory and Paris, both have similar grade stats, but Paris did a lot of volunteer work and after school activities. Sometimes schools think a person who does everything has a lack of dedication and will choose someone who did less because they feel that person showed more dedication to a few chosen activities. Also Rory comes from a more disadvantage family life when you consider that she is from a single family home, where the mom probably only makes $40-50,000 a year. School acceptance in the United States is irregular and that is why when I applied to pharmacy school I had to apply to 10 schools and then choose to go to interviews at 5 of the 10 schools. I then got accepted at 4 of the 5 schools. That is why Chilton made them apply to many schools.

On another note I really liked last nights episode. Kirk was hillarious and I am glad that Rory and Paris are friends again. I think that the writers wrote Paris not getting into Harvard so that both Rory and Paris will attend Yale next year (maybe possibly roomates). I like the fact that both Jess and Dean will be leaving the show because I think it will make the storylines for Rory's experience at Yale fresh and hopefully won't include the usually love triangle issues.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 9:38 pm

You don't think that Paris' legacy would/should have helped her get in? 5 (although in the 1st season, I thought she said 10) generations of Gellars have gone to Harvard. That should have helped, and not hurt her chances.
You're totally right, as soon as one thinks about the obvious "family friendly" message of this episode ("Sex=Bad"), it's not so enjoyable at all.
:oops: Oops. Sorry I ruined your viewing experience!

:wink:

Very good point about Stars Hollow being the perfect little happy world. But as a hormonal woman, those scenes just rubbed me the wrong way.

I really need to not take TV so seriously.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 9:40 pm

This will probably be split off, but...

Is anyone but me and pre-teen girls watching the Chad Michael Murray movie on the WB, The Lone Ranger?

I cringed in embarassment for the characters in the beginning, but it has gotten somewhat interesting since the massacre.

And what is with the three names? Can't he just be Chad Murray?