The Official "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD Thread

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
bdckr
Jody Barsh

The Official "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD Thread

Post by bdckr » Jan 2nd 2003, 5:00 pm

I've noticed from some postings that there's an overlap in the fan base between MSCL and Freaks and Geeks. I just found the Freaks and Geeks site, and it looks like Judd Apatow is trying to get Freaks and Geeks out on DVD.

I haven't been coming to this site for very long, so I have a sense of the general struggle that went into getting MSCL out on DVD, but not a lot of the details.

The following link is to the forum:
http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/TalkToUs/TalkToUs.html
and here is his e-mail:
Judd@FreaksandGeeks.com <Judd@FreaksandGeeks.com>

There's a thread of discussion where he's asking for help in convincing Dreamworks to release it on DVD.

He would probably appreciate any advice (besides avoiding AU), and I would definitely appreciate seeing Freaks and Geeks released.

Any other fans out there, let's show our support!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 2nd 2003, 5:59 pm

Hey thanks for the info. I'm headed there right now to catch the bandwagon as it goes by! Please keep us apprised of developments.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 2nd 2003, 5:59 pm

I think that there is no way to get that released on DVD. The music clearances alone would be outrageous. And I don't think that the fans would want it if they had to change all the music like they did with Felicity. Isn't the music a huge part of Freaks?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

bdckr
Jody Barsh

Post by bdckr » Jan 3rd 2003, 10:33 am

I don't think the music was as crucial to Freaks and Geeks as it was to some other shows, like MSCL. There were some moments where the music was integral (Sam dancing with Cindy to "Come Sail Away," Ken listening to different albums trying to figure out if he is unknowingly gay, trying out for the band,etc.), but overall, I think some of the songs could change without hurting the show. The music was most important in giving a feel for the time (1980).

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 3rd 2003, 12:41 pm

bdckr wrote:The music was most important in giving a feel for the time (1980).
That's precisely why I don't think they should change the music, if they have to in order to put the show out on DVD.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Post by Guest » Jan 3rd 2003, 2:00 pm

Megs wrote:
bdckr wrote:The music was most important in giving a feel for the time (1980).
That's precisely why I don't think they should change the music, if they have to in order to put the show out on DVD.
I agree with you that, ideally, a set should be released as it was originally presented. And I'm sure that some fans of the show would not want to have it released except with all the original songs.

However, I would personally be happy if they released it with kazoo- playing instead of the songs if that were the difference in getting it released. Some scenes definitely would suffer greatly if the music were changed; that being said, many of the songs could be replaced with others (of the same time period, maybe cheaper licensing)and still be consistent with the period. Although I could not imagine Sam and Cindy dancing to anything else except Styx. :)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 3rd 2003, 6:37 pm

I disagree. The music to F&G was more crucial to the music in MSCL because while the MSCL soundtrack made for some very memorable moments, there were so many instances were the music in F&G was part of the story. If you can't clear any Grateful Dead, there goes half of the last episode. What's Lindsay going to listen to? And if you can't clear any Rush, what is Nick going to drum to?

I never got a chance to become a big fan of Freaks and Geeks. Just like Undeclared and so many other shows, it was cancelled before I ever decided to sit down and watch it. I hope the show does come out on DVD because I'd at least rent it, but everytime I hear the possiblity mentioned, it always seems like there's literally no chance of it ever happening.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 4th 2003, 12:24 am

I think that it depends on the episode and how obsessive a fan you are (no offense to any F&G fans). For example, I heard that a lot of the music was changed in Felicity. Now I did watch the first two seasons, but I was not letting my OCD work overtime on that particular show soooo when I bought it for my sister this Christmas, we watched the pilot with three of her friends. No one noticed anything about the music until I asked if all the original music was still there. The only thing we came up with was that "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan wasn't originally in the pilot...probably. And it took five of us to come to that conclusion!

In contrast, the only reason that I know every single song used in MSCL is because I taped all the episodes and watched them repeatedly. If not for me enabling my MSCL OCD, I probably would have remembered the songs from key moments - like the Buffalo Tom song at the end of Self Esteem - and the rest would have faded into the obscurity of my fuzzy memory.

Similarly, if they ever showed the Wonder Years episode where Winnie starts hanging out with the older kids and ends up breaking her leg in a car accident without "We've Got Tonight," I would have a total hissy fit.

:D

Uhhh, so what is my point? That I would love to see Freak and Geeks on DVD, but I personally wouldn't mind if they couldn't get every single song. Sorry, I only have so much OCD energy to expend.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Michael St. Clair
Frozen Embryo

Post by Michael St. Clair » Feb 1st 2003, 1:01 am

I know it would be off topic, but is there ANY way we could get this posted in at least the 'DVD' area?

I fear many fans of both series might not check this area. We need more mailing list members to show the strength of our interest!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 1st 2003, 2:09 am

Michael St. Clair wrote:I know it would be off topic, but is there ANY way we could get this posted in at least the 'DVD' area?

I fear many fans of both series might not check this area. We need more mailing list members to show the strength of our interest!
I think this being in the "Other TV Shows" forum is enough. The DVD forum is only for the MSCL DVD. The reason why this area was created was to have all the posts about other shows in one area.

Sorry.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 1st 2003, 3:32 am

I agree that the DVD section is for MSCL, and the new forums were created to differentiate topics about our show from others.

However, I can make this the Official F&G DVD and Discussion Thread and sticky it to the top of this forum to garner more attention.

Let me know if that's something you'd all be interested in. :D

Gary

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 2nd 2003, 7:07 pm

Just a follow-up to the efforts to bring F&G to DVD: Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, the producers of the show, started their own petition on their website (MSCL deja-vu anyone? ;-) ) to show Dreamworks the fans' interest in a DVD release.

You can subscribe the petition here: http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd . Being a big fan of the show myself, I hope that Judd & Paul succeed in their efforts to bring F&G to DVD. They still have lots of bonus stuff in their archives (outtakes, dailies, audition tapes etc) which would make a great DVD release. When we asked Bedford Falls for bonus stuff for the MSCL DVDs, they didn't have anything like that... :-(

So far, they have around 1,900 signatures, so they still need *a lot* (we had 4,700)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 2nd 2003, 8:40 pm

I'm going to make this an official thread to help the campaign.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 3rd 2003, 12:49 am

sab wrote:
So far, they have around 1,900 signatures, so they still need *a lot* (we had 4,700)
mwahaha i was # 2332, fnord indeed!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 4th 2003, 2:58 pm

Way to go guys, let's make this one a reality too! GaryEA, thanks for making this thread sticky. Hopefully lots-o-folks will do the right thing and sign the petition. Bravo!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man