The Official "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD Thread

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Feb 4th 2004, 9:14 am

I was just poking around on Amazon, and noticed that the Freaks and Geeks box set is number six on their list of top 100 bestsellers. It's funny; it has been available to preorder officially on Amazon for about a week now, but has been hovering in the thousands on the bestseller list. I wonder why the sudden jump in sales.

Also, if you people haven't already noticed, the plain old box set is $49 at Amazon. I recall Paul Feig and Judd Apatow swearing that it wouldn't be less than $100 at any time in its release back in the days when people were signing the petition to get it released. Oh well. So much the better, I'd think, even though I've opted for the fancy-ass special edition.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 11th 2004, 5:26 am

From a recent mail from Paul & Judd to the DVD petition mailing list:
To all our international fans: we are currently unable to sell the [Special Edition] DVD directly overseas, because the music is clear for use only in North America. To clear it worldwide would have cost too much money -- which we don't have. We are attempting to address the issue, so all international fans please email FreaksINTL@aol.com with the quantity you want. If we are able to supply you, we will contact you very soon.
The weird thing is: They forgot to mention the URL of the website where one can buy the Special Edition... (which is http://www.freaksandgeeksdvd.com )

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Apr 5th 2004, 12:31 am

Wheee!!! 2 more days until the release of Freaks and Geeks on DVD. This is my second most highly anticipated release with MSCL being first of course. Just wanted to voice my excitement.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2004, 2:15 am

I tried to rationalize buying the deluxe collector's edition, but I decided that paying twice as much wasn't an option. I did that with MSCL and vowed never to do it again, so I decided to be content with the regular set. I wasn't able to get to the store last night, so I picked up the set tonight for $50 at Target. After ripping all the plastic off, it is all I can do to keep myself from ordering the collector's edition online tonight.

First of all, instead of the fold out gateway packaging I have resigned myself to because of Fox's odd preference for shoddy packaging, the Freaks and Geeks packaging (which is the same size as a Buffy set) has the mini-disc booklet packaging. No more flopping cardboard threatening to rip each time I take out a disc! No more plastic trays popping off at the corners because the one dot of glue wasn't strong enough to hold it in place!

The booklet has a letter written by Paul Feig and a Q&A by Judd Apatow. Unlike the Buffy booklets, which squash three episodes per page (or MSCL which managed to squeeze all 19 episodes onto zero pages), there is one page per episode. Each page has a list of the guest stars, an episode summary written by Paul, a list of the music used, and a list of who did which commentaries (ten of the episodes have two different commentaries), as well as pictures. All told, the booklet is 28 pages long (including the covers). My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that they don't list which discs the special features are on.

Would it be worth my while to buy the special edition to get the yearbook and nine more hours of bonus stuff? Given how wonderful the regular set is, I'm leaning towards yes. This has restored my belief that a DVD set can be a glorious thing. I can't wait to watch everything!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Apr 9th 2004, 2:51 am

candygirl wrote:Would it be worth my while to buy the special edition to get the yearbook and nine more hours of bonus stuff? Given how wonderful the regular set is, I'm leaning towards yes. This has restored my belief that a DVD set can be a glorious thing. I can't wait to watch everything!
It's what the MSCL set should've been.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 9th 2004, 3:02 pm

*whispers* that's what I thought too!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 21st 2004, 11:21 pm

I didn't see FNG during it's TV run. But I bought the DVD set based on what I've read in this post and elsewhere. I'm about halfway through the episodes now. I like it, but I can't help contrasting it to MSCL, which I like a lot more. Maybe FNG has to sink in a little. I can't help thinking what Patty and Graham would do if they were parents on FNG. I love the DVD set though. I wish, like all of you, that MSCL had received the same treatment.

I must confess that I didn't spring for the $120 special edition version. That's a little pricey for me right now.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 23rd 2004, 12:24 pm

I finished watching the episodes of Freeks and Geeks. I really think the show hit its stride in the mid to later episodes. I like them a lot. I'm looking forward to listening to the commentaries.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 17th 2004, 5:33 am

Since the show is now available on DVD for a few weeks (and I will hopefully receive my set today or tomorrow :-) ), it's time to make this topic un-sticky. Good to know that this project was so successful. And if Buena Vista ever comes around asking how a MSCL HDDVD set 2nd edition should look like, I'll point them to this thread ;-)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 21st 2004, 3:37 pm

Here's an image of my set -

I didn't have much time to take a closer look at the DVDs, but so far: I love it. Lots of stuff and lovely designed DVD menus. I've never seen such an extensive DVD booklet for a tv show -- even most movies don't have one. Lots of commentaries, behind the scenes stuff and more.

And it really makes you wanting more -- but $120 for that Special Edition 8-disc set is just too much. :cry:

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 24th 2004, 2:09 pm

I too just got my set of F and G's. I don't remember seeing any of the episodes on TV so they are all new to me (so far). I just finished watching the first ep. and I really like this. So far so good. I also got the Ben Stiller show on DVD last night so I may never leave my room for the forseeable future. Does anyone know if Parker Lewis Can't Lose will ever be released on DVD? If my old, fading, cloudy memory serves me I think we used to watch Parker Lewis right after Ben Stiller on Sunday nights.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jun 16th 2004, 8:51 am

Last night I went to buy Simpsons season 4 and came home with Freaks and Geeks. I've never seen the show so I'm really hoping you guys are right about it. I haven't watched any of the episodes yet but the packaging is so perfect I could cry. I was happy to see that Busy Phillips is on the show, I like her a lot and that's saying something about her abilities because so far I've only seen her on Dawson's Creek. I'll probably post my thoughts on the show once I've watched it.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 16th 2004, 9:14 am

Grim,
I too had never seen the show before and am now about 7 episodes into it. I LOVE this show. I think you will be happy with your purchase. Now that I am seeing how good it is, it almost makes me cry that it got canned so soon after it started. :cry:

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 3rd 2004, 8:39 pm

So far I've watched all but the final three episodes. When I realized I was so close to the end I wanted to stretch it out a bit so I've been going back and watching all of the extras. I'm holding off on commenting much about the series before I finish it but since I began watching it I've been meaning to mention (espeically to Jody Barsch*) that seeing Daniel on F&G gives me a whole new appreciation for Jordan Catalano. Now I see how much worse Jordan could have been.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 4th 2004, 10:57 pm

I finished watching all the eps. and I really think it was a great show but the first half of the season is better than the second IMHO. Still glad I got the set and sad it was cancelled.