The Official "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD Thread

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 11th 2003, 5:10 pm

Judd Apatow thinks the DVD are getting made. Woo Hoo! Thanks, guys, for all the help.
Woo Hoo Too! :-) Both shows (Freaks & Geeks and Undeclared) will be a must-have :-)

Judd Apatow from freaksandgeeks.com wrote: A company wants to do it. We are compiling all the extras and working on the assumption that it is going to happen. They are going to begin clearing the music in a week. They are also interested in releasing Undeclared. So, it is not certain, but we all shall will it into being.
"A company"!? ... hopefully not AU.com... :?

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jun 11th 2003, 10:22 pm

I'm surprised. I thought the massive music clearances would keep F&G from ever being released. Here's hoping they don't have to mess with the music too much.

Undeclared would also be awesome to have. I thought it looked pretty bad when it first came on, but I caught a few episodes around the middle of the season and really liked it. It was just one of those many shows that I never had a chance to get into before it was cancelled.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 12th 2003, 12:42 am

:thumpup:

Very cool news :)

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Jun 13th 2003, 11:22 pm

I will definitely be buying both!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 17th 2003, 3:36 pm

Very, very, very, very, cool! I also hope they don't have to chop-and-change the music very much! Thanks to all who are keeping us here at the MSCL.com forum posted on FandG's progress!!! Keep up the good work!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 9th 2003, 8:00 am

An update from the Freaks & Geeks site:

First of all, hello to you all. Sorry I've seemed to have disappeared but I've been buried in things with my movie and some other pending projects. I will say that my movie is finally getting released, and will be coming out around October 10th, released by Artisan Entertainment. So, that's a relief.

But now to the matter at hand. We are VERY close to getting the DVDs out. A company that was started by the guys who sold Rhino want to put the show out and are with us that all the original music must remain intact. So, that's a great thing (I wouldn't release it otherwise). But that causes one small problem -- the DVD set is going to be a little more expensive than we wanted it to be. This is so we can include all the original music, and also so we can get the DVDs out sooner (instead of spending months and months doing legal work).

The price for the DVD set will probably be around $120, which is very steep, I know. However, because of discount sites on the web and the fact that most stores like Tower and Virgin always mark down new releases, you'll probably be able to get it for about 80 bucks. I will say that we're intending to include one full disc of extras, including deleted scenes, bloopers, and lots of other fun things (that we're in the process of pulling out of all our crates and boxes now).

So, that's what's up. I don't know any exact date for when it'll be coming out but I know we're all shooting for before the end of the year (probably in time for Christmas -- how embarrassingly convenient!).

Just wanted to update you all and let you know that this is what's up. Nobody wants these DVDs out more than us, since we know how many of you have been waiting patiently and since, well, we just want them out there so that you guys can have them and so hopefully we can find even more people who will discover our little show.

That's all for now. I'll update you as things progress. And please feel free to post any feedback you might have regarding this (just to let us know if it all works for you or not).

Thanks again. It's good to talk to you all after so much time away.

Rock on,
Paul Feig

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 12th 2003, 10:49 pm

1.) Thanks Sascha for keeping us up on this. I have been wondering what has been going on with it.
2.) $120.00 ? That's a lot of cabbage. Will the set be on the shelf at BestBuy like a week later for $49.99?
3.) I am glad they are keeping all the original tunes.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 12th 2003, 11:07 pm

Does this mean that we'll have a Undeclared box set sometime?? Please o pretty please :D :D :D

Actually, I just did my own digging (ie: "Undeclared" in google, first link, then news)

"Judd Apatow, the Executive Producer of Undeclared, has been fighting to get his earlier series, Freaks and Geeks, brought to DVD. In a cool update by Judd at the official Freaks and Geeks message board, he passes on some great news about BOTH shows:

A company wants to do it. We are compiling all the extras and working on the assumption that it is going to happen. They are going to begin clearing the music in a week. They are also interested in releasing Undeclared. So, it is not certain, but we all shall will it into being.

We will keep an eye on this, and post an update when we have more information. Our thanks to Matthew Louwren for pointing us toward this great news."
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 13th 2003, 5:26 am

andrewgd wrote: Actually, I just did my own digging (ie: "Undeclared" in google, first link, then news)
This is actually older news (which was quoted somewhere in this thread last month) - Paul Feig didn't mention "Undeclared" in his latest statement, so I guess they'll focus on F&G first and - if successful - publish Undeclared in 2004.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 28th 2003, 3:48 am

Info on Freaks & Geeks DVD extras!
Judd Apatow (creator of Freaks and Geeks) has posted some ideas of the extras which may be found on the F&G DVD set they are working on. Here are some items we are trying to get on the DVD.

Cast auditions. Paul and I wrote original scenes for some of the auditons which are pretty funny. Freak monologues. Geek monologues. We also have people auditioning for parts they didn't get. Linda auditioning for Kim Kelly. Busy auditioning for Lindsay etc.

We are trying to clear our evening at the Museum of TV and Radio in Los Angeles. It is sad but hilarious at times.

Promos. Some of the original promos were like short sketches.

Rehearsal footage. Backstage footage. This is stuff we shot ourselves. We have forty tapes of it. Now we just have to watch it.

Deleted scenes. We have a bunch of funny scenes which have only been seen on the web site. Kim Kelly asking Sam to kiss her from the pilot. Sam at the nurse's office.

Bloopers. We have plenty of those. And we want to put raw dailies (footage from shooting) on the tape so you can see how we worked.

We are also considering putting photographs and scripts on the DVD if possible.

We are open to any other ideas. We might even try to put the long version of our first episode on there. We are very excited about this. Hope you are too.
source
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 29th 2003, 10:00 pm

That sounds like the greatest bonus disc ever, but reading it made me realize how ironic and sad the MSCL DVD history is. If it weren't the pioneer of niche TV shows on DVD but some other show was, the MSCL set would've been much cheaper and better, not to mention complete. In the end, if we weren't such great and hardcore fans, we would've gotten a better product.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 30th 2003, 1:24 am

:shock:

Now THAT would make for a great bonus disc! No fluff pieces, just a lot of good, behind the scenes material that the fans will really love.

Gary

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Aug 2nd 2003, 6:40 pm

Well said Dream Theater!

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 4th 2003, 9:25 am

dTheater wrote:That sounds like the greatest bonus disc ever, but reading it made me realize how ironic and sad the MSCL DVD history is. If it weren't the pioneer of niche TV shows on DVD but some other show was, the MSCL set would've been much cheaper and better, not to mention complete. In the end, if we weren't such great and hardcore fans, we would've gotten a better product.
Word. :evil:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 10th 2003, 5:30 pm

The latest Freaks & Geeks news (from tvshowsondvd):
Paul Feig, the Supervising Producer of Freaks and Geeks, was discussing in Variety (free trial subscription required to view) his newest show (HBO's Nice Guys, described as a post-high-school version of F&G, but with HBO's advantage of looser censorship).

During the interview, more came up about Freaks & Geeks, including a timeframe for the DVD release:

Feig felt "Freaks and Geeks" never got its due, despite winning critical acclaim. However, it has gained cult popularity, and episodes will be released on DVD in March, complete with deleted scenes.
:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?