Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
AniAnnika
Jody Barsh

Post by AniAnnika » Jul 6th 2007, 12:47 am

Yesterday (4th of July) I finished re-watching seasons 1-7....it was my first time re-watching any of it since it first aired, too! (It took me about 3 months to get through...I was completely addicted)...wow, soooo good! Such new perspective I have at age 23...I think I was 12 when I started watching it!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 19th 2008, 8:30 pm

I thought of you Buffy fans this morning as I drove to work when an NPR reporter spoke about how Buffy the Vampire Slayer Saved her Soul
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=90584068
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 1st 2008, 11:50 am

has anyone seen/heard of this? http://drhorrible.com/

it's from Joss and I'm so excited. make sure to read the Master Plan page, in case you weren't already in love with the genius creator of Buffy. I just love it when people stick up to the industry in the name of creating art and telling stories.

JamesM12
Frozen Embryo

Post by JamesM12 » Jul 20th 2008, 12:05 pm

she is so niceeeee :D Also I very much like Angel 8)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 27th 2008, 5:14 pm

emmy, I heard about Dr. Horrible a few months ago when NPH started mentioning it in interviews so I had been eagerly anticipating its release! I'm so excited that you posted about it here!

I tried to view it the first day but the site was so overwhelmed that I couldn't access the video. Hee, now that Buffy has been off the air for so long, I managed to forget how many fans are out there and their dedication to all things Joss (meaning these are not people who will watch the episode once and leave it at that!). I finally managed to see the first episode late that night.

I freaking LOVE NPH. I saw him when he played Mark Cohen in Rent (the same cast that also starred Wilson Cruz as Angel), so I knew he could sing, but he was so funny as Dr. Horrible. Before Dr. Horrible, I liked Nate Fillion but now I LOVE him. He was hilarious! I also loved the Jossverse cameos by Marti and David. Felicia Day was okay. I still have some residual annoyance with all the Potentials, but she looked and sounded so different from Vi that I was able to pretend she was a completely different actress. I thought she was okay, but not great. It didn't help that her character was blah to me.

Dr. Horrible reminded me a lot of Spike - his dialogue, his motivation, etc.

Dr. Horrible at Comic Con:
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 31190.html
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 4th 2008, 12:39 pm

so I finally got to watch the Dr. Horrible series. I ended up having to buy it from itunes because I was working too much when it "aired" on the net. but I have to agree with everything that Natasha said. Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion were both terrific! I loved the scenes with NPH at the laundromat, his comic timing is perfect! I also agree that he reminded me a lot of Spike in his delivery, but that could simply be because of Joss and his sense of humor. I didn't immediately recognize Felicity Day as a potential (such a bad Buffy fan!) but she didn't really leave any impression on him. which I feel is just as much her acting as the writing. her character simply wasn't that interesting. but maybe that was done purposefully to balance the wackiness of the men.

in any case, I'm super excited to see if Joss goes forward with more installments!! I think it's a great little project.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 10th 2009, 10:58 pm

I got to meet Joss Whedon tonight!! He was at a talk at Apple Soho in NYC, promoting Dollhouse. and as a surprise, Eliza Dushku was there as well. It was a lot of fun and of course Joss was his usual brilliant and witty self. at the end he signed Dollhouse posters. I was one of the first to go up and was so nervous I could barely tell him how to spell my name! ah well! it was still awesome, ha ha!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 11th 2009, 4:13 am

Eeeeeeeee! That is the most exciting celebrity sighting you've had in New York! Well, I'm sure all of them were exciting for you, but this one was the one that got ME the most excited! I can't wait to watch Dollhouse on Friday! You lucky girl, you! If it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to spell my name either.

:mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 11th 2009, 8:45 pm

yeah, of all the celebrities i've met in NYC, he's definitely the one I was most excited about!! You would have thought I was meeting Jared Leto or something by how giddy I got.

we also got a sneak peak of about 10 minutes of the new Dollhouse. I wasn't that interested in it until last night. but how I could I deny myself of a new Joss show, that's silly.

shanna-irl
Tino

Post by shanna-irl » Aug 15th 2009, 6:57 am

I adore Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the "high school as hell" concept really seems to hit home with me in a lot of TV shows :lol: I bought seasons 4-7 last week along with MSCL and I'm halfway through season 4 now. I really want to watch them in order but I'm itching to skip to season 6, my favourite.
It's amazing how many people still follow TV shows after they've been cancelled, I haven't read any of the Season 8 comic books because I was happy enough with how Buffy ended, I don't want to spoil it for myself :)
I could never really get into Angel after Season 2, I suppose I was just one of those people who loved the chemistry between David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar so much that I didn't want to see Angel with anyone else!! (Even though I was rooting for Spike and Buffy toward the end of series 6 and 7)
Another example of a great show that has stood the test of time, hard to believe it was 10 years ago since the first season.
And I don't want a movie!!! Leave it alone!!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 15th 2009, 7:52 am

I'm right in the middle of rewatching the entire BtVS/AtS series in order. I'm on Buffy S4/Angel S1. The last time I did a marathon like this was about four years ago. I was watching 1-4 episodes per night (it's amazing how much more you can watch in a few hours when there aren't any commercial breaks!), but I had to quit because just as I was getting through S5, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I knew I wouldn't be able to watch The Body or several of the episodes after it. I thought about just skipping ahead to The Gift, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

It's been really fun rewatching the entire series from the beginning again. Sometimes it reminds me why certain characters annoyed me so much (Riley, and coming soon: Dawn), but it mostly reminds me why I loved this show so much to begin with. I've been busting out my old Buffyverse fangeek accoutrements too. I have several of the Jim Butcher audio books that James Marsters did, but I never finished the last two I had. I recently found out that they just released two more audio books (with a third coming out in the fall) so once I finish up my Buffy/Angel marathon, I'm going to listen to all the books again and get all caught up!

I liked Angel, but I didn't necessarily love him with Buffy so I was fine seeing both of them hook up with other people. It's funny to see the recent surge in Buffyverse publicity. It seems like they're all pregnant now: Alyson & Alexis just had their baby, Sarah's is due soon, and David's wife is pregnant again so there have been tons of pictures of all of them.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 20th 2009, 8:43 pm

I just recently started another Buffy marathon too. it's been too long! I'm currently on season 2, right after Angel's change. season 2 is so awesome. almost every single line is quote worthy and makes me smile. and now, I'm discovering all these people I work with who loved the show as well, so that is always great. I love rewatching them after all this time because there are so many touching/funny/awesome/etc moments that I've totally forgotten over time. once I get through season 7, I'll have to watch MSCL. I can't even remember my last marathon. it's been way too long and I can't wait to rediscover all those moments I miss. :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2009, 5:03 am

I've been out of town and just busy with stuff, so it was slow going but I just finished BtVS S5/AtS S2 last week. Last night I started AtS S3 and I'm about to start BtVS S6. I think part of the reason I took a little break before starting back up last night was that although there are some good episodes coming up, I know that I don't love BtVS S6-S7.

I mean aside from shirtless Spike and a few random episodes that I love (OMWF and Tabula Rasa come to mind), I'm kind of dreading all of the life is hell/magic is crack/AR/crazy Spike/house of annoying potentials that I know are coming my way. At least I know I'll enjoy at least one more season of AtS before we hit the crazy Jasmine/Cordy storylines.

I do love watching all of it again and remembering how much I loved these shows. There are SO many hilarious lines, touching moments, etc. I know I shouldn't complain about the stuff I dislike because I am so glad that in total we got 12 seasons of Joss-y goodness between BtVS and AtS. Hours and hours of really fun, moving, entertaining tv.

The weird thing is that I was determined to get through Buffy S5 because I really haven't watched these episodes since my dad had cancer (FX stopped showing reruns right around the same time - or more accurately, they moved them to like 6am which was not going to happen for me, and THEN they stopped airing them). And right before I got to The Body this time around, my friend passed away so I took a brief hiatus from my marathon for the same reason as the last time around. I am starting to feel like every time I watch S5, something bad happens to someone I know.

On a more positive note, I'm soooooo excited that Joss Whedon is going to direct an episode of Glee!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 30th 2010, 1:09 am

I saw Ira Glass speak on Saturday night, and he talked about being a fan of Buffy, and getting a pass for he and his wife to visit the set during the writing of an episode (in which Buffy becomes invisible). He talked about how when putting together a TAL episode he'll often ask 'How does Buffy feel', a line he pulled from the writers' room that day. [He then digressed for a moment to say something about Dr. Horrible (I didn't know the reference), and to lament the canceling of Dollhouse.

Later in the evening, as he tied together his thoughts on story telling, he was speaking about Scheherazade, and interrupted himself to say that Scheherazade was the original Buffy.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 8th 2011, 1:08 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:[He then digressed for a moment to say something about Dr. Horrible (I didn't know the reference)
That's so funny that I said that because I've seen it like a billion times now.
Anyway, that's not why I'm here. So for years I've known that a lot of the people I respect on this site are big Buffy fans, but the few episodes I'd ever caught over the years while it aired never did anything for me, though I always did like Alyson Hannigan. I keep wondering if I'm missing something. I'm currently watching Firefly at SAB's suggestion (yes, I had to google who Joss Whedon was), but I'm not falling in love (but I do like seeing the wife from Wonderfalls playing a different character). Maybe his work just isn't my thing, but I was wondering if there were specific episodes or seasons of Buffy that lovers of Joss would point me to to say 'this is the show'. (I did just re watch the pilot.)
I've been thinking about asking this for a long time, but it always feels weird to watch someone else's favorite thing when there's a possibility it won't be yours. I've been trying to get two of my friends in to Deadwood, and they really liked first season, but she just gave me back second season and said they couldn't feel it and were not needing the third. Now personally I think that's crazy talk, but I don't know, that might be me with this. Netflix doesn't even have a star prediction for me an Buffy Summers. But I'm ready to tackle something like a top five Buffy episode list if anyone cares to throw some out there. Thanks!