Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 7th 2005, 8:02 pm

You can now view the packaging here!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2005, 3:15 am

Contents of the bonus disc are now listed at amazon:

# Introduction by Joss Whedon
# Back to the Hellmouth: A Conversation with Creators and Cast
# Breaking Barriers: It's Not a Chick Fight Thing
# Love Bites: Relationships in the Buffyverse
# Evil Fiends
# Buffy: An Unlikely Role Model
# Buffy Cast and Crew: Favorite Episodes

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 27th 2005, 4:02 am

I'm not a Smallville watcher, but James Marsters just began his arc as the Brainiac. You can watch a clip here!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 7th 2005, 4:48 am

Info about the bonus features from Video Business:
Why is it that so many stars these days are reluctant to acknowledge the films or TV series that made them commercially viable in the first place? That's the question that immediately springs to mind when watching the bonus disc featurettes accompanying Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection, which collects all 144 episodes of the TV series in a massive box set. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, Michelle Trachtenberg, Eliza Dushku, Seth Green and James Marsters—all of whom have since won top billing in various projects—are conspicuously M.I.A. in the Chosen supplements, produced by Michael Meadows, Paul Apel and Alan Baral. Of the show's principal cast members, only Nicholas Brendon ("Xander") is represented, although supporting players Emma Caulfield, Charisma Carpenter and Danny Strong make significant contributions. The six featurettes—for which all the new talking head footage seems to have been shot in one day—examine various aspects of the popular series, including the emphasis on sexuality, the approach to demonology and Buffy's status as a role model. The longest and most informative extra is "Back to the Hellmouth," a 55-minute gabfest between series creator Joss Whedon and various cast and crew members, including the aforementioned actors and executive producer Marti Noxon. This unscripted free-for-all elicits many fascinating facts and some refreshingly candid observations. (In describing one noteworthy event during production, Noxon places it in the period "just before I ruined season six"—a reference to fandom's well-known dissatisfaction with the show's direction in its penultimate year.) Whedon playfully directs the round-robin reminisces, although the participants' self-awareness and back-patting gets a bit tiresome. Pivotal moments in the series—including Angel's seduction of Buffy and the famous musical episode—are recalled with warmth and enthusiasm, making the hour-long conversation a real highlight. Buffy fans are devoted, and the hefty price tag on this deluxe limited edition set (which includes a collectible book and letter signed by Whedon) is not likely to greatly hinder sales, especially as Christmas approaches.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 16th 2005, 4:24 am

Awesome pictures of the packaging and discs are posted at this forum. You can compare to the R2 packaging here.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 17th 2005, 2:22 am

I'm so jealous. the packaging looks so much simpler. I hate having to unfold and unfold and unfold the original series. I wish I could justify getting those, but alas, I already have all the original dvd seasons. humpft. I'll have to borrow my friend's to see the special xtras.

speaking of Buffy.....I think I'm going to take a few of my dvds with me to my parents' house. I haven't had a Buffy fix in way too long. I might go into withdrawals! :cry:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 12th 2005, 2:53 am

I just want to post and point out that, yes, I double dipped and picked up the Complete Buffy Set. :lol:

Who would have thought....

I am currently rewatching the series now.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2005, 5:10 pm

I double dipped too! I know Fox is probably laughing at me, but at least I bought mine at the DDD sale so it only cost me $111. I originally planned to sell my season sets, but now I'm feeling sentimental enough to keep both.

:oops:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 12th 2005, 5:38 pm

Yeah I got it for 111 also. :)

I should sell mine, but I like most of the cover art on the digipacs :lol: I don't know.

Of course, my cat knocked over my S1 digi from the new set and disc 1 fell on the floor and got scratched to hell. So most likely I won't be selling my old S1 now.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 7th 2007, 6:09 pm

Preview pics of the new Buffy comic book series (written by Joss Whedon) here. It's the official S8, not just fanfic!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 28th 2007, 12:58 am

For you Buffy fans, the LA Film Festival is having a sing-a-long to the musical episode tonight, calling it "The Buffy Musical: Once More with Singing!" :mrgreen:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 29th 2007, 11:47 am

yeah they had one of those sing alongs here in New York in May, but I was out of town. I totally would have gone too.

I'm not a comic book fan at all, but I've read the first Buffy comics that have come out so far in this new 8th season series. They definitely have the voice of the characters because Joss Whedon was the author for the first ones. but I don't know, it's just weird to me to read the comics. plus I'm used to enjoying my Buffy actors for at least an hour and reading the comics is only about 15 minutes. I shouldn't complain, I know! I think it's great that Joss is continuing the story, it's just weird for me. :)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 30th 2007, 3:19 pm

I'm re-watching this summer all episodes of "Buffy" (I call it a "Buffython" ;-)), right now I'm at the beginning of season 3. I haven't seen those episodes since they aired back in '98 (the DVDs were sitting on my shelves for ages) and so I forgot most of the storyline details over the years.

It's great fun watching this show again from the beginning -- season 2 was amazing TV entertainment. Just seeing poor Ms. Calendar again or Spike meeting Buffy's Mom for the first time or Angel turning into Angelus ... awww, Joss Whedon at his best. And there's still so much good stuff ahead of me :)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 2nd 2007, 10:10 am

that's so funny Sascha because I've been doing the same thing. I moved (yesterday actually) and watched Buffy while I packed. except I started with season 7 because I had only seen it when it aired. it wasn't my favorite season, but I liked it better than when I first saw it. I'm also just now starting season 3 and will continue my Buffython while I unpack! I have to say that season 2 is still one of my favorites. I think it and season 3 capture what Joss most wanted with the story, young people dealing with life issues in high school. I had forgotten how many great episodes are in season 3, like Band Candy. :) makes me giggle every time!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 4th 2007, 9:33 pm

I went to a Buffy singalong a few weeks ago and it was really fun! It was just a regular singalong, not the RHPS type with props and people acting it out and yelling things, but it was really fun. Then they showed the two prom episodes. I was glad that I wasn't the only one crying when Jonathan presented Buffy with the class protector umbrella. It made me want to get out my DVDs and have a Buffy/Angel marathon!

I did a Buffython a few years ago. My friend had asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding so I decided I had to get myself in shape, despite the fact that I HATE to exercise. I decided I would jog on the trampoline for an entire episode of Buffy each day. It really made the torturous running go by a lot more quickly. It was also right around the time that one of my friends decided to start watching Buffy on DVD. I made her a list of all the crossover episodes with Angel so that she could watch them in order, which only reminded me even more how much I love both shows.

I had the same experience with BtVS marathons - the seasons that I didn't originally love seemed much better when watched in a compressed amount of time. Just goes to show that scheduling weeks of reruns in order to "save" new episodes for sweeps is not always the best thing for the show!