Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 1st 2004, 9:51 am

Marti Noxon's new show (she was among other things executive producer on "Buffy" during season 6) "Point Pleasant" is scheduled to start on January 20th on FOX. It's the former "Tru Calling" timeslot, which is cancelled. "Point Pleasant" is a weird mix between "Good vs. Evil", "John Doe" and "Melrose Place" about a girl who is the child of a human mother and the devil. Good and Evil are now fighting for her soul.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 2nd 2004, 11:05 pm

candygirl wrote:People are reporting that stores with price matching policies (Walmart, Best Buy) are honoring the Target price of $17.77 for S7 - just print this page from this week's Target ad and bring it in!
Very cool, thanks again Candygirl.

-LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 3rd 2004, 2:18 am

:cry: Well, that's it. Finished my S7 set tonight. :cry:

Who woulda thought I would get this far and this into the series. 1 year and 11 months ago I made my first post in this thread:
fnordboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:51 am
God...i never thought of it that way... :shock: i'm officially getting old now.

And to work within your perspective, I look back at the 80s in the same way a vietnam vet looks back at getting his balls blown off in vietnam. I am still unsure as to which decade was worse for fashion, the 70s or the 80s. Though anything involving day-glo definitely pulls slightly ahead.

uh wait a second, what the hell am i doing in a buffy thread... :shock: eek :::runs away::::
20 Days later I decide to think about giving this series a try in the "Buffy...Convince me" thread:
fnordboy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:57 am
Buffy...convince me

Ok well i have never been a Buffy fan. Probably grows from my strong dislike of Sarah Michelle Gellar. But since I am a DVD slore, and even more so a growing tv on dvd slore, I have been tempted to join the darkside and pick up the Buffy season 1 disk as a complete blind buy.

I noticed by accident that it is like 29.99 at amazon. Now two of my very good friends are Buffy fans, and as much as I don't want to be a fan I am debating on diving into the abyss and trying it. My girlfriend will openly mock me once she finds out. So I am not looking forward to that. She hates Buffy more than I.

So, your mission: Convince me to buy, or not to buy, the Season 1 box. You may begin.
The series overall had it's ups and downs but it has definitely become one of my favorite series. I have to thank everyone on here that helped convince me into stepping into the abyss. :) Even though I bought it before anyone replied to my thread :lol: Reading this thread is what made me get it I think.

I already miss it. Sucks, but atleast it has me motivated to get back into my Angel sets that I haven't watched yet. :P

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Dec 3rd 2004, 2:36 pm

thanks for the link to the Target add, Candygirl. I used it at walmart in small town, Nebraska and they price matched. Thanks!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2004, 3:56 pm

You're very welcome kappster - anything I can do to enable the Buffy love (as evidenced by fnordboy's above post!).

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 19th 2005, 4:47 am

According to Variety, Alyson Hannigan has been replaced by Sara Gilbert (who starred on Roseanne, another show that Joss wrote for) in the new Jennifer Love Hewitt series "In the Game." Maybe they can expand her role on Veronica Mars now!

Seth Green's new show, Robot Chicken, premieres on the Cartoon Network on February 20.

The USA channel is set to premiere The Pierre Heist, starring James Marsters as Bobby Comfort, on March 26.

Fangoria has some news about Nicholas Brendon's new movie, Unholy:
FANGORIA just got the details on UNHOLY, a new horror yarn starring Nicholas (BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER) Brendon and Adrienne (THE FOG) Barbeau. Lensing in Northern New Jersey and Queens, New York, the film deals with a grieving mother (Barbeau) who uncovers a conspiracy dealing with Nazi witchcraft. Daryl Goldberg makes his directorial debut on the film, with fellow NYU grad Sam Stephen Freeman serving as executive producer (with Joshua Blumenfeld) and screenwriter. Thomas (BLADES) Rondinella produces. Besides Barbeau and Brendon, UNHOLY also features Susan (THE FACULTY) Willis, Siri (BLOOD ANGELS) Baruc, Richard Ziman, Cheyenne Casebier and Joe McKenna in the cast.

"The film starts off with Martha [Barbeau] coming home to find her daughter Hope locked in the cellar, contemplating suicide," Freeman, an associate producer on ZOMBIE HONEYMOON, tells Fango. "Despite a heart-wrenching attempt to stop her, Martha fails. Hope doesn’t give a reason, but her last words are, ‘Beware of the experiment.’ While delving into the reasons for her daughter’s suicide and the secretive cellar Hope spent most of her time in, Martha, along with her son Lucas [Brendon], uncovers a conspiracy involving an experiment called ‘The Unholy Trinity,’ which involves Nazi witchcraft that our very own government smuggled into small-town Pennsylvania following World War II.

"The plot is based on real myth," Freeman continues. "Legend says the government continues to utilize unwilling subjects around Dowington, PA to progress the outstanding technology the Nazis started. Was Hope one of the lab rats? In their search for answers, Martha and Lucas find themselves as targets of an unknown enemy and unravel truths that should have never been brought to light…"

Freeman says that he has gathered a very horror-friendly team, beginning with himself. "It was only a few years ago that I was attending the FANGORIA conventions, and now I am trying to do my best to add to this wonderful genre."
Info about SMG's new movie Revolver:
REVOLVER. CAST, Sarah Michelle Gellar; PROD, Aaron Ryder, Jeff Silver; DIR, Asif Kapadia; SCR, Adam Sussman. Shoot Dates: Late February/Early March 2005 (in Austin, TX). Breakdown--

Terry Stahl: Mid 40s, sleeved with tattoos, with a face that's both threatening and melancholy, Terry is a bartender in La Salle, Wisconsin, who speaks softly with a slight Texas drawl. An ex-con, Terry spent the last 20 years of his life in prison for the murder of his fiancee, Annie, a crime he did not commit. Regarded with suspicion and hostility when he returns home to live, he is uncomfortably startled when Joanna comes into his bar - for Joanna was born at the moment of Annie's death, and has absorbed some of Annie's memories and persona. A man with a volatile temper, who tries to protect Joanna from a stalker, Terry is a taciturn man who hates to talk about his past, and balks at giving Joanna access to his memories. But when Joanna tracks down the man who really killed Annie, Terry is quick to take action, and with Joanna's assistance, he avenges Annie's death - ad falls in love with the part of Annie's spirit that is still trapped in Joanna's soul. Lead;

Xavier Mills: Joanna's father, Xavier has a Rockwellian face, cruelly aged. Estranged from his only daughter for years, Xavier has been a lightning rod salesman all his life, and he looks more comfortable selling the old style rods. He lives in Peoria and hasn't seen Joanna since she was 15, and is stunned when she shows up at his door. Uncomfortable when Joanna makes it plain that she wants to explore the mysteries of her past, Xavier avoids talking about his two previous trips to La Salle, Wisconsin - the first when Joanna was born (and her mother died), and the second when Joanna went berserk and began cutting herself. A protective father, Xavier wants a closer relationship with his daughter, and doesn't realize that his second trip to La Salle brought Joanna into contact with the spirit of the long-dead Annie. Lead;

Kurt Setzer: 30. He is a good looking blue collar guy, with a dangerous edge to him. An ex-con who had a brief affair with Joanna two years ago, Kurt can't get the memory of her out of his system. He's become her obsessive stalker, and has been kept at bay with a restraining order - but when it expires, Kurt drops his job as a longshoreman, and begins pursuing her again. A guy who really can't take no for an answer, Kurt frightens Joanna when he begins following her again, and when he explodes in frustrated sexual rage, Terry intervenes to give Kurt the beating he needs to snap out of it. Lead;

Michelle Daniels: 25. She is Joanna's best friend, and there's a big-sisterly air beneath her flawless cover-girl facial. A cheerful showgirl at the convention center, with beauty-shop curls, Michelle is deeply concerned about the odd cracks that have appeared in Joanna's personality, and has no idea that two souls inhabit one body. When one of Joanna's eyes changes color, Michelle virtually orders Joanna to go to the doctor, and afterwards keeps close tabs on her girlfriend's state of mind. Lead;

Arlo / Mechanic: Early 20s. Wearing mechanic's overalls with the name "ARLO" stitched on the breast, with a beard and long hair in a ponytail, he is another stalker who comes out of nowhere and begins tormenting Joanna. A man wearing heavy black boots, he is in fact the man who killed Annie 25 years ago, and he is a nightmare vision from Annie's memories, returned to haunt and terrorize Joanna. Lead;

Bella: 40s, with a weathered face and soulful eyes, Bella runs a tiny collectibles shop across from Terry's bar, and spends her time carving like a lonely Geppetto. Accompanied by her Icelandic sheepdog puppy, Bella befriends Joanna when she comes to La Salle, and appears to have some psychic knowledge of Joanna's dual identity. An old friend of the late Annie Hansdottir, Bella is the first person in town to tell Joanna a few things about the woman whose soul has taken root in Joanna's body;

Mr. Dold: Late 40s, wearing eyeglasses and starting to develop a paunch, he is an amiable guy who lives in a cozy farmhouse - but 25 years ago, he was the homicidal Mechanic who killed Annie. A seemingly friendly guy who keeps Joanna company when her car breaks down nearby, he snaps into his old personality when Joanna puts two and two together. Intent on keeping his secret, Dold suddenly opts to eliminate Joanna, and soon has to fight for his life against both Joanna and Terry - with a little extra push from the long-dead Annie;

Jonathan Marlin: 50s, a prominent manufacturer of augers and disc plows, Marlin is an imposing presence with severe eyes and an exquisite suit, impatient, irritable, unwilling to negotiate. Annoyed when Joanna presses him for a business meeting, Marlin tries to brush her off, but is impressed with her inside knowledge of his needs. However, when Joanna shows up for their meeting acting dazed and scattered, an irritated Marlin dismisses her brusquely;

Griff: 60s, the owner of a gas station in La Salle, Griff is an amiable guy who responds truthfully when Joanna questions him about the mysterious Mechanic who keeps pursuing her; he has no idea who she's talking about. But once both Griff and Joanna realize that the Mechanic worked for Griff 25 years ago, he's able to help her out, although he can't for the life of him remember the former employee's name;

Officer Simons: This police officer investigates when Joanna tells him a bizarre story about being attacked at the Agricultural Expo by the Mechanic. But after looking into the matter, there's no trace of any kind of scuffle, and Simons suspects strongly that she gave a false statement to the police;

Young Terry: Early 20s, Terry seen in flashback to 1980, he's a happy young man in love with Annie, whose life is ruined forever when she is murdered and he is wrongly accused of the crime;

Annie Hansdottir: Annie seen in flashback to 1980, she is a happy young weoman of Scandinavian extraction, deeply in love with Young Terry and preparing to get married, who is hunted down and killed by the vicious Mechanic;

Duncan: A desk clerk at the Grasshopper Hotel, he apologizes to Joanna for a gross breach of hotel security, and promises it won't happen again;

Doctor: This doctor performs an MRI on Joanna's brain, and gives her a thumbs-up report, suggesting that her sudden change of eye color is a "perfectly harmless occurrence." But he insists on knowing more about Joanna's disturbing pattern of self-mutilation;

Emmett: 40s, a shifty looking farm equipment supplier wearing an ornate cowboy tie, he knows and likes Joanna, and passes along to her a message about Jonathan Marlin;

Local: A thickset, fierce looking man who knows all about Terry's past, he spots Terry beating Kurt Setzer, and wrongly assumes that Terry is wholly to blame;

Clerk: A clerk at the County Clerk's office, she searches her computer for information about a mysterious (and quite haunting) parcel of land;

Billy: Griff's teenage grandson, he works with Griff and lets him know he's got a customer.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2005, 7:47 am

Seth Green has been announced as an Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) panelist for the Museum of Television and Radio William S. Paley Television Festival on March 4!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 2nd 2005, 8:26 pm

Eliza Dushku will appear on That 70s Show on February 16.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 5th 2005, 8:29 pm

Some pictures of Eliza Dushku on That 70s Show.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2005, 3:52 am

According to tvshowsondvd, Fox is releasing some "starter set" DVDs. The one for BtVS will have "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest." The SRP is $9.99 and the release date is March 22. The DVD includes a coupon for $10 off any season set. DVD Planet is selling the set for $6.99.

You can view the cover art at tvshowsondvd.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 22nd 2005, 2:19 pm

Reminder: Alyson Hannigan will guest-star in tonights (Feb 22) episode of "Veronica Mars"! She will appear again in a second episode later this season, expected to air around April 19th.

I posted some newsarticles in our Veronica Mars topic.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 18th 2005, 1:34 am

Cool Money, starring James Marsters, premieres on USA this weekend! The movie is based on Bobby Comfort's jewel heists.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 14th 2005, 8:53 pm

Lots of Buffy news! This fall's tv lineup will feature lots of Jossverse alumni: Nicholas Brendon is on Kitchen Confidential, Alyson Hannigan is on How I Met Your Mother, Charisma Carpenter is on Veronica Mars, Anthony Stewart Head is on Dr. Who, David Boreanz is on Bones, James Marsters is on Smallville, Christian Kane is on Close to Home, and of course Daniel Dae Kim is still on Lost and Seth Green is on Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

According to tvshowsondvd:
Fox has announced plans to release the complete run of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a 40 disc limited-edition box set releasing on November 15 (the same day as the complete Friends set).

You'll get the previously released 7 seasons of Buffy (39 discs), plus a special bonus disc containing a brand new documentary featuring Joss Whedon. Each box will be individually numbered, and will contain a signed letter from Joss Whedon, and a comprehensive book filled with episode listings and memorable Buffy quotes. This will set you back a suggested price of $199.98 ($349.98 CAN).
Amazon is already listing this for $140, which works out to $20/season.

:shock:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was already a limited edition BtVS box set released in R2 last year (but without the bonus disc). The UK edition only had 10,000 produced so I wonder how many they will make for R1.

There is a similar box set for Angel being released in R2 at the end of October, so I'm guessing we will get a similar R1 set next year.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 14th 2005, 9:39 pm

yeah, I'm really excited to see all the new shows with Buffy Alums. I'm especially psyched about Kitchen Confidential because it also stars Bradley Cooper from Alias. much goodness. here is a link to a cute clip of Nicolas and Seth from E's Kristin.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 15th 2005, 4:54 am

I've seen the pilot episode of "Kitchen Confidential" ... and it's pretty good. It's funny, it has a nice script (which is remarkable for a comedy these days) and good actors. Just a well done comedy.

The 2005/2006 season is actually a good season for comedy. After many years of crappy sitcoms, they finally put new life in this genre. Highlights are (besides "Kitchen Confidential") "My name is Earl" (NBC), "Everyone hates Chris" (UPN) and "How I Met Your Mother" (CBS).

The drama "Bones" on the other hand is not-so-good. It's your typical CSI-clone procedural with, well, bones (*yawn*). CSI is way more interesting. The on-screen chemistry between the main actors David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel needs a lot of work -- so do the dialogues. A lot of techno-babble is also involved. Additionally: When I see David Boreanaz, I see a vampire. Sorry, that'll take a few years until I'll be able so see him in another show :)