Dawson's Creek

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Official 'Dawson's Creek Cancelled' celebration thread!!

Post by Double Espresso » Mar 2nd 2003, 9:19 am

OK, so it's finally going, it's taken 6 seasons but it's gone. Anyway here's one quote from some Dawson's fan site:
DAWSON'S CREEK premiered on The WB in January 1998, setting record ratings and winning critics and viewers. The series ushered in a new era of female teen buying power that became a force in the economy that is still strong today and helped define the 12-34 demographic that had never sold before.
Well hello!! I've never read a good review of Dawson's Creek that was written by anyone over the age of 14 so I'm not sure which critics they're on about. Also has the person who wrote this ever seen MSCL or Buffy? I dunno when Dawson's airs in the US, but here in the UK it's on at 1230 on a Sunday, about when the 18-34 demographic are getting out of bed and coping with their weekend hangover. Anyway it's gone, and here's to a decent teen drama replacing it, one that doesn't deal with important issues in such a ham-fisted way. Hopefully Friends will be next, how that's gone on for 10 seasons I'll never know. :lol:

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Mar 2nd 2003, 3:24 pm

Hey, don't pick on Friends! Well, the later seasons has become a bit weird when they are getting too old to stay the same and where it's heading is probably for an end cause when Ross and Rachel finally gets eachother there's no point continuing... But it's been one of the greatest comedy shows I've ever seen.
----------------
Make it count.

Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Double Espresso » Mar 2nd 2003, 7:32 pm

Early Buffy is/was funnier than Friends, Cheers is/was funnier than Friends. I really don't find it funny at all, every episode I've seen all the jokes are just so obvious...maybe it loses something travelling across the atlantic, but then it's popular over here so...

Greatest Comedy shows ever? The Office, Shooting Stars, Spitting Image, and The Young Ones. There are all aimed at a UK audience really though so maybe it's all to do with culture.

Still this was meant to be an anti Dawson's thread, so I'll stick to slagging that.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 2nd 2003, 7:51 pm

Double Espresso wrote:Early Buffy is/was funnier than Friends, Cheers is/was funnier than Friends. I really don't find it funny at all, every episode I've seen all the jokes are just so obvious...maybe it loses something travelling across the atlantic, but then it's popular over here so...

Greatest Comedy shows ever? The Office, Shooting Stars, Spitting Image, and The Young Ones. There are all aimed at a UK audience really though so maybe it's all to do with culture.

Still this was meant to be an anti Dawson's thread, so I'll stick to slagging that.
Friends is/was one of the worst tv shows ever in my opinion. I can not, for the life of me, understand what it's attraction is. So many people love this show and I don't understand why. It is like you said, the jokes are completely obvious as well as unfunny ;) . Hopefully it will be leaving the air soon. Though it will probably be replaced by something equally as mind numbing.

Greatest Comedy shows would definitely include The Office high up on that list. As well as Spaced. British TV has always had some of the best shows, atleast for me. And yes, i am american. AbFab would definitely have to be high on the list. I do also like some of the dumber britcoms like 2.4 Children :)

To stay on topic...yeah woohooo to Dawson's passing, should have happend quite a few years ago!

bhayes1016
Tino

Post by bhayes1016 » Mar 2nd 2003, 9:09 pm

No Dawson's Creek means more opportunities for Katie Holmes to appear naked in movies. :D

Friends sucks.

Buddy

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 2nd 2003, 9:18 pm

I've always found Friends to be pretty funny. I can't say it's my favorite show, but I usually enjoy watching it. Ed and Will and Grace are probably my favorite comedies. NYPD Blue, The West Wing, and ER are my favorite dramas. What this says about me is that I'm probably easily pleased. Anyway, I'll miss Friends when it is gone.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 2nd 2003, 9:20 pm

Oh, I forgot, I've never seen Dawson's Creek. Sigh.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 3rd 2003, 2:03 am

If Dawson's Creek was cancelled 2 or 3 years ago, I'd care. But it's so stale (not like it wasn't from day 1) and no one even watches it anymore, that I can't really be happy about it's cancellations. It's more like, "That took a long time."

As for Friends, I liked the first season when it was still a sit-com. But by now they should just take the last step and make it a full-fledged soap opera. A show has officially "jumped the shark" when characters who never showed any interest in each other before suddenly are involved romantically. Although IMO, it "jumped the shark" when the whole Ross/Rahcel thing started, which was like season 2, episode 1. Every episode is, accoridng to the comercial, "very special," which I hate. Phoebe is the most annoying character ever created and Lisa Kudrow is the biggest one-note, no-talent actor of all-time. Watch any other performance she's ever given and they're all exactly the same.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Mar 3rd 2003, 4:52 am

I can't believe you don't like friends. 'Chandler' is one of the funniest characters on tv.

I like other tv-shows like The Office (specially because of the star from 'Wonder years' that I loved so much) and Ed. And I know Friends has gone on pretty much too long. I wont mind if it will be cancelled now. I just don't see how you missed how funny it has been. It's not drama. It's comedy. I'm not one of those buying all the episodes of Friends on DVD because it's just too many and with all the reruns on tv, there's no real point.

I used to love Ally McBeal. I stopped watching the last season but I'd liked to have seen the final episode. I missed it. That show was just not the same after Billy was gone.
----------------
Make it count.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 3rd 2003, 10:23 am

Never watched Dawson's Creek but it did bring a lot of viewers to the WB back when that was a big deal. On a side note I do hope this is the last we see of Katie Holmes.(naked or not) I also like Ed, And The Young Ones was hysterical.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 5th 2003, 4:58 pm

How the hell could a junk show like "Dawson's Creek" take six years to finally keel over, but it took only weeks for "Firefly" to get canned?! And "Enterprise" is still on.

:shock:

Goodbye Creek... I'll hardly miss ye.

Gary

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 5th 2003, 10:40 pm

Re Enterprise: Wait 'till next year. It wouldn't be Star Trek if it wasn't mediocre for the first two seasons.

:wink:

(I do, however, see what you mean about how Enterprise gets that chance, while Firefly didn't even get a whole season. :( )
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Apr 5th 2003, 4:04 am

LOL!

This is so funny. I have a totally extreme love/hate relationship with this show. I know that it's devolved into a complete piece of crap, but i got so many warm fuzzy feelings from it in the early days that even though it literally pains me to keep watching, I just CAN'T. STOP. it's like a sickness. :lol: I need to see how it ends. And if it doesn't end with Dawson and Joey together, I know I'll still be extraordinarily pissed. :P

It is my ultimate guilty pleasure. But I will completely admit that the sole reason for my still having a relationship with it at all is completely because of Dawson. I can't help it, I love him. We can mock the show all you want, I'll probably agree with a lot of it, but nobody's allowed to touch Dawson himself as far as I'm concerned. ;) Growing up with these shows, Jordan Catalano was my first falling-over-myself TV infatuation, but i just loved Dawson. Following Angela logic, for me he was the ultimate "sex and a conversation, ideally both" being fulfilled. plus, i'm a sucker for fellow film geeks. ;)

okay, i've admit enough guilty pleasures for the time being, I should get out of here with some of my dignity still intact. ;)
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 5th 2003, 11:58 am

I don't watch it anymore, but I do keep up with it by reading the recaps at http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com. Funny stuff.

And I want Joey and Pacey to get together. Joey and Dawson have no chemistry or passion.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Apr 5th 2003, 12:33 pm

oh no. pacey and joey? eww. for some reason i am incapable of liking them together, since the whole "betrayal" thing seeing the two of them together has just made me cringe. for me it's like imagining jordan and rayanne sailing off into the sunset together. *shudder* going after the person your best friend is in love with?? and i see it as being even more painful, because they were both his best friends that he trusted completely, neither of them were drunk, they were totally conscious that they were ripping his heart out, and they snuck around for weeks without telling him!

i could just never abide by something that shattered my favorite character's heart, and destroyed so many of the friendships that had made me like this show in the first place.

oops, sorry bout that! I am NOT getting into a discussion of this here! :P This is supposed to be about celebrating the show's overdue end!! ;)
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.