Anyone Alive?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
soma
Liberty High Student

Re: life vs. fantasy world

Post by soma » Jan 12th 2000, 2:31 am

well, i would pick Brian. :) Definitely.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Brian

Post by Alee » Jan 12th 2000, 6:08 am

I have to say, I don't understand how so many people seem to be for Brian. I mean, everyone's talking about like, long term relationships. I really liked that post from Ataris, about wanting someone to make out with in the boiler room...and wanting someone who plays in a band, who's not afraid to talk to you, etc. I mean, that just describes Jordan...but you know, like the point is it's not a long term relationship. I mean, Brian is always there, always there to bug her. Like in the pilot, he talks about her "way cool friends..." and always commenting on Jordan. I know he can't really help himself since he's so crazy obsessed with her, full of jealousy...but how can he think he would ever win her over acting like that? I mean, I suppose I kind of sympathize with him sometimes...I just would pick Jordan. And, I dunno, maybe because I'm sort of a "hopeless romantic" or whatever, but I seriously believe there is more to Jordan Catalano. I mean, maybe he's not book smart, but sadly a big majority of the population is not very smart! I mean, he writes songs and stuff...if that means anything. I mean, that kind of takes a thoughtful person to do. I think there's more to him...even though it's never expressed. It's just I don't think you can really say just because of that that he is empty or whatever. Anyways...that's just what I think.

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Jan 12th 2000, 6:20 am

I agree with you Alee, I think there is a lot more to Jordan Catalano then he reveals. Yeah so maybe he isn't really that smart but that doesn't at all mean he is empty. I don't think he had many chances to reveal himself, and not many guys (atleast the ones I know) really show a lot of emotions. A lot of them try to keep the tuff guy image. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk about his feelings, or he can't trust anyone cause his dad used to beat him (until he threw a chair at him of course) and that him. Once again I can't find the right words to say it in. Sorry

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jan 12th 2000, 6:42 am

But then if you think about it, Brian and Jordan have some similarities in that they've both mistreated Angela. I mean, Jordan got mad at her for not having sex with him and then slept with her best friend. Somehow I'm seeing this as a little more severe than making rude and jealous comments like Brian does. And Brian just doesn't talk about his feelings either. It's just that Jordan covers it up with this cool, bad boy, guy in a band image and Brian covers it up with his superior attitude. And someone (ataris I think) mentioned Jordan writing songs and stuff, but don't forget that it was Brian to first put his feelings about Angela into writing...Now I know that Jordan would have if he could have found the words and all, and I'm not against Jordan or anything, I just wanted to point all this out for the purpose of discussion.

Tracey

worldsapart
Between Names

Re: life vs. fantasy world

Post by worldsapart » Jan 12th 2000, 6:43 am

me too. =)

Tracey

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Brian vs. Jordan

Post by angelika » Jan 12th 2000, 7:05 pm

Mia--I completely agree. Brian and Angela together is like, incestuous, or something. It would be so strange and unnatural... I think that Brian beats Jordan when it comes to personality qualities, and, if she had to pick, she should have chosen Brian. But it would never happen, considering the circumstances. Eventually, she and Brian might become closer friends, but I can't see them ever having a sexual relationship. Ugh... I'm getting sick. I need to quit talking about it. :-)

~angelika~

grim4746
Krakow

Re: Brian and Jordan

Post by grim4746 » Jan 12th 2000, 9:22 pm

Yes Jordan is talented musically and yes that is a redeeming characteristic. But I mean come on he writes songs about his *car* that doesn't really make him a deep person. His looks are the best thing he has going for him. That doesn't mean he isn't a good choice but Angela doesn't see it that way. She's very romantic at heart and can't see Jordan for what he is so she would only end up disappointed as she always has with Jordan. Then there's Brian who I have grown tired of defending. He's been a jerk to basically everyone but he was worst to Delia. He knew what it felt like to be dismissed by someone you have feelings for but he did it to her without a second thought. I mean telling Delia the truth took a lot of courage something Brian doesn't have but even fear and guilt couldn't stop him from being a jerk. I know it was because of his Angela obsession but still he was a jerk and I have trouble feeling sorry for him because of his broken heart. I guess neither of them come close to deserving or
being perfect for Angela. Maybe ANgela had the right idea throwing herself at Corey. He seems to have a brain without being a geek. ANd in the Betrayl episode he wasn't as weird looking as he was in Life of Brian.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jan 12th 2000, 9:32 pm

Well, what I was saying wasn't really about Angela...I just meant to support that I think there is more to Jordan Catalano. I mean, he's written songs...before Brian wrote the infamous letter. And Ataris brought up that he was beaten by his dad. It doesn't seem like he's had the easiest life. I mean, for a lot of people, music is a way to escape, or express themselves...so that's probably how Jordan would prefer to do it. He seems like he kind of wants to show her "Red"... And of course I know that guys don't want to reveal their emotions...why should he be any different? And, if you think about it, he does open up...in little ways. Like in "Dancing in the Dark", he confides in Angela about his bad day. I just think that there are things that show that he's not just empty. And sure he's slept with a lot of girls...not to mention Rayanne...but he really seems to care about Angela. Like in "Why Jordan Can't Read", he really seems to be struggling with himself about going to Angela's house. Anyways...I should probably shut up now...it's just what I think.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Anyone Alive?

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 22nd 2013, 1:31 am

Without getting into the weird story of how I came to be watching S. 7 Ep. 18 "Kissing Cousins" of Full House, look who turned out to be delivering Cousin Stavros' pizza to the Tanner's:
Joey 1.jpg
That's right! Frozen Embryos / Between Names / Residue's own drummer and player: Joey

The best part is that from MSCL to Full House he's still Joey (he's 100% checking out DJ's business)!
Joey 2.jpg
(Didn't know quite where to post this, but since the board seems a little quiet, this seemed as good a place as any)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Brian and Jordan

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 22nd 2013, 1:43 am

grim4746 wrote:Yes Jordan is talented musically and yes that is a redeeming characteristic. But I mean come on he writes songs about his *car* that doesn't really make him a deep person. His looks are the best thing he has going for him. That doesn't mean he isn't a good choice but Angela doesn't see it that way. She's very romantic at heart and can't see Jordan for what he is so she would only end up disappointed as she always has with Jordan. Then there's Brian who I have grown tired of defending. He's been a jerk to basically everyone but he was worst to Delia. He knew what it felt like to be dismissed by someone you have feelings for but he did it to her without a second thought. I mean telling Delia the truth took a lot of courage something Brian doesn't have but even fear and guilt couldn't stop him from being a jerk. I know it was because of his Angela obsession but still he was a jerk and I have trouble feeling sorry for him because of his broken heart. I guess neither of them come close to deserving or
being perfect for Angela. Maybe ANgela had the right idea throwing herself at Corey. He seems to have a brain without being a geek. ANd in the Betrayl episode he wasn't as weird looking as he was in Life of Brian.
Preach Grim, Preach!

Having fun rereading these old debates. :D In so many threads, in so many different words, rearguing the same points, I truly love it! (How may times did I defend Jordan? How man times did I defend Patty and Graham's marriage? Seems like a lot.) But talking about the same thing over and over, in slightly different ways, with slightly different perspectives each time, each time influenced and impacted by fellow posters, it's really shaped and reshaped my views on the show, and if we could look at it geometrically, it must be something beautiful like an ice rink after a figure skater.
stock-photo-ice-skate-trails-abstract-winter-pattern-2057060.jpg
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Re: Anyone Alive?

Post by Brunkster » May 31st 2013, 12:15 pm

Wow, that is beautiful. Possibly even so beautiful it hurts to look at it.