fans of mscl

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
humble evey
Tino

fans of mscl

Post by humble evey » Jun 25th 2002, 5:01 am

anyone here have a rough estimate of when the dvd's are gonna get shipped? how long have you guys been fans? Me, almost nine years. long time!!

Re: fans of mscl

Post by Guest » Jun 25th 2002, 7:45 am

MSCL first aired on Channel 4 over here in England in 1995. I've been a fan since the first time I watched.

I just think that it's remarkable how much a show can affect you. I once read someone's post which said, "It's more than a television show, it's art." I believe this to be true.

Post by Guest » Jun 27th 2002, 2:26 pm

Hi guys.is it correct?I'm Japanese.It's very regretable we Japanese not managed to get DVD yet.so that I am trying to get this by my friend in USA.
Anyway,I owe you It's art.so-called Angel!marvellous!Excellent!incredible!and Letters?Oh I'm dead.veryvery impressed.good.
In the end,let me say that we Japanese all consider that we must seek after the judgement in W-cup.sorry,parhaps games in Japan.and then there's those who use Japanese name in Internet world.Plese on your precious mind.
I'm so grateful.Sincerity.yours.m(_ _)m

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 27th 2002, 4:00 pm

First watched entire run in Winter/Spring 1998 in nightly re-runs on MTV. I guess that makes me a fan for like 4+ years. Initially I thought this was just another cool show from MTV and anything this good would run indefinitely. Then one night I tuned in at 6pm and it was no more. Bummer!

K-man

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jun 27th 2002, 5:50 pm

The first time I watched the show was in its original run when they showed So-Called Angels. I have a very specific memory of it because I was at my grandmother's house and was extremely pleased to be able to get something good on the TV because she only gets like 3 channels. Anyway, I never caught the show after that (I wasn't a big TV watcher at that point) until it was in re-runs on MTV. And even then it seemed like all I got to see was Guns and Gossip (it was on like every freakin time I saw it!). Eventually (in like '98 or '99 or so) I managed to buy copies of the elusive 7 eps (I already had both box sets) from someone on ebay and got to watch all the eps, though I had read transcripts long before that.

It seems like I've been around here forever. I am a die-hard fan, and this is one of the few shows I watch[ed] (Buffy is my absolute favorite, sorry if that's blasphemy) that all of my friends like as well. Of course, I'm the only one obsessed enough to have hunted down all the eps on tape!

Eagerly awaiting that long-anticipated package,
Tracey

I mock you with my monkey pants

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 27th 2002, 6:23 pm

I actually read an interview with Claire Danes in Sassy (which I also miss!) before the show even started, and it sounded so good that I made a special point of watching the first episode. I was hooked. My friend thought I was insane because we were out Christmas shopping and I suddenly told him I had to go home RIGHT AWAY. Why? Because it was Tuesday night and I was going to miss the beginning of MSCL! I taped it off when MTV reran the whole series, but for some reason I didn't get "The Zit." When I moved, I entrusted the MSCL series to my youngest sister. I can't wait for the DVDs to arrive on my doorstep so that I can watch every episode obsessively. It will give my boyfriend a nice break from my watching the Buffy DVDs obsessively.

Tracey, that is one of my favorite Oz quotes! Are you on the buffysearch board also?

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Jun 27th 2002, 6:24 pm

I still think the other question was lost here. What's the latest shipping "date"? Is it still "sometime in July, perhaps.."?

And Jason, what's the status? Anything new?
/KrokRos

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jun 27th 2002, 11:36 pm

My earliest memories of MSCL are this. Seeing a commercial for it during it's run on ABC. The commercial was something about "Will Angela get Jordan?" or something along those lines, and I remember the hallway, Angela and Jordan kissing, and me thinking it was another stupid teen show (I still don't like them).

Then I believe I first saw the show during it's first run of MTV. I think it was the first run on MTV because these were the episodes followed by the cast introducing music videos. I remember Claire and Jared and it was her birthday, and also one with AJ Langer, Wilson Cruz and Devon O. after Life of Brian, talking about Rickie's dance scene. I would see parts of episodes while flipping through channels (it was on at 7 PM all week at the time), and after I realized what it was, I tried to not like it so much, but eventually I had to conede that it was good and I should watch an entire episode. Life of Brian is the first one I remember seeing all the way through, and it remains my favorite. I don't remember what year this was, but it was before Relativity debuted. Possibly late 95, early 96. I remember I only had the internet for a few days at the time, and one of the first things I did was go to MTV's forum on AOL and read the MSCL message board. 6 years later, I'm still doing the same old thing.

- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by just-likeKrakow » Jun 28th 2002, 8:19 am

I'm not sure what about the show caught my attention...i guess it was a commercial or something...but i remember watching the first episode the night it debuted. i was a senior in highschool at the time and i was instantly hooked. i couldn't believe that a single show had created such a large group of great characters. i mean...that's what kept me hooked. don't get me wrong, the writing is overwhelming, but it was the characters and the actors playing those characters that blew me away. I always especially liked Rickie and Brian!
At the time we were being force fed Aaron Spelling Shows like Beverly Hills 90210...which i hated.
i also remember when it went off the air. my mom can contest that i complained and moaned for weeks afterwords about how they could just end the most incredible show i've ever watched. i then continued to watch Relativety and Once and Again...which i liked but not as much...and of course they were cancelled too. i don't get it!
i didn't get MTV, so i never watched it when the show re-ran and i only just recently got the DVD with the first three episodes so i haven't seen the others...well....since '94-'95. Isn't that sad?

oh how i miss it so!
That's why i can't wait for the box set!

"She asked me if I could come over tonight and explain congruent triangles to her."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 28th 2002, 9:22 am

Wow,
I didn't know Humble Evey wanted this much info. If we are talking about our first taste of the show, in my case it was in summer 1997. I was living in Phoenix and interestingly enough I had a few minutes on a Sat. afternoon before going to work and was channel surfing and stopped on MTV and caught the scene from "Why Jordan Can't Read" where Angela asks Patty/Graham,"I can go out on dates right?". It's funny that such a short moment could spark instant inerest. I thought,"Wow... this seems like a pretty good show". Shortly thereafter I went to work and there were several girls from AZ state U that I worked with and I happened to mention this cool show I had just caught a piece of on cable and (I still remember this) their faces lit up with an exuberant YEAH!!!!! Right then and there I knew this was something special. Seems this show was more than mid-afternoon cable station filler. Unfortunately I worked late into the night and the marathon was over when I got home. Fast forward to winter '98 and I am now back in the Midwest and lo and behold I stumble onto The Show on MTV again weeknights. I still wasn't aware what this was all about but I did love the show. Life was good. I was turning my life around. Had a great job with great people. It was good to be back home with family and my dogs. It has been a long time since I have seen the show but now we are getting the discs. Yay! Thanks to this site and the internet I have found a place to stay fresh on MSCL daily. I hear so much about Relativity but I have never seen it. I also missed Freaks and Geeks but I did used to love Popular. I have to admit I do love stupid teen shows/movies. I could watch "Saved By The Bell" and "Boy Meets World" daily. {OK.....don't start!}

K-man

just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by just-likeKrakow » Jun 28th 2002, 10:26 am

K-man
i bet along with loving the show...you loved the fact that girls loved talking about the show with you ;)

none of my friends at the time liked MSCL. i don't know why. So, i never had anyone to talk about it with. Now, today...no one i know seems to remember the show. So, i come here!

"She asked me if I could come over tonight and explain congruent triangles to her."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

I am a tv junkie

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 28th 2002, 3:51 pm

I think that I have seen every episode of Saved by the Bell at least four times. Excluding the college years and the new class, of course. =) During a bout of insomnia last fall, I discovered that TBS shows SbtB reruns every night - 4am if I recall correctly.

I used to watch reruns of the Wonder Years every day on TBS. Then the Fox Family Channel bought the rights. They started off showing three episodes each night, but now they have disappeared.

And Moonlighting isn't on Bravo anymore. Thank goodness I taped the Taming of the Shrew episode before that show disappeared too!

foolishoptimist
Three Rivers Resident

Post by foolishoptimist » Jun 29th 2002, 3:51 am

Unfortunately, I live in Australia, so MSCL was never aired on free to air TV(as far as I know). But a few years ago we got Foxtel. I'd seen adds for this teen show with Claire Danes, by then famous from Romeo and Juliet, etc. So I was interested, but it was always on at a crappy time like in the early afternoon, before I got home from Uni or conflicting with some other show, so I never got around to watching it.
UNTIL I started seeing adds for a XMAS MSCL Marathon 3.5 years ago.
If ever I was going to get around to watching it, that would be the best time.
So my first MSCL experience, was the entire series over two days.

Best christmas ever!(So-Called Angels was the perfect christmas show!)

The owls are not what they seem.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 29th 2002, 7:09 am

I talked with AU yesterday and they predicted late July, early August... Methinks they were overly optimistic with 6-18 and they don't want to commit to another impossible deadline...

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Jun 29th 2002, 4:24 pm

It was pretty funny when I recieved the confirmation e-mail saying I should expect the DVD within 10 days. I didn't read that seriously anyway cause I know all the talk here since before.