Fun poll

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Fun poll

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 11:03 am

I know this is quite an old poll, but it looked like a fun one to resurrect and hopefully get some new blood posting to.

Favorite over-all episode: In Dreams Begin Responsibilities.
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: When Jordan takes Angela's hand and we hear that great Buffalo Tom song.
Favorite, like, quote: "Whatever happens, happens," because it has multiple meanings.
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: When Jordan blows off Angela at Pike Street's pool table.
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: Angela dancing around in her bedroom because she thinks she's over Jordan.
I got chills when: Angela reads the letter.
I cringed when: Rickie overhears Graham and Patty talking and then feels that he can't stay at the Chases' house anymore.
I cried when: Jordan goes over to Angela's house and they discuss their breakup.
I smiled biggest when: Jordan sang "Red."
I laughed hardest when: Graham realizes that he's going to overhear Jordan and Angela having a very private conversation.
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Jordan.
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes, but they will never be the same.
Character whose personality is most like mine: Angela because I am forever analyzing things and talking to myself. ;)
Character I'd most like to befriend: Rickie.
Character who grew the most over that year: Rickie.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Mar 19th 2002, 1:33 pm

Thanks to all who took my poll! Let's keep this one going guys! I'd like to hear what others think...

Thanks!

Socalledfan

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Post by somamoons » Mar 20th 2002, 3:13 am

Favorite over-all episode: Halloween! I have always loved that episode, for no real reason.
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Ugh, god I can't pick one. :)
Favorite, like, quote: "People are always saying you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing - like a toaster. But sometimes I'll have this moment when just being who I am at that part of my life, is like, enough." (I know the last part is paraphrased a bit). :)
Least favorite moment between 2 characters:
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: When Sharon and Angela fight in the bathroom.
I got chills when: Brian made "the mistake" at the end of the final episode
I cringed when: Brian dumped Delia Fisher, Angela came on to Cory
I cried when: Patty and Ricky meet in the church
I smiled biggest when: Angela does the dance after kissing Jordan or when he takes her hand in the hallway
I laughed hardest when: (can't think of an answer)
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Brian
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes
Character whose personality is most like mine: Angela
Character I'd most like to befriend: Ricky!!
Character who grew the most over that year: This is a tough one. I think I'm going to go with Sharon though - she faced the most crap out of all of them. Her best friend dumped her, she got a boyfriend, started having sex, had to grapple with the feelings from that, her dad had a heart attack, she seemed to truly change the way she thought about Rayanne Graff, etc. All of the characters progressed over the year, but I think Sharon had to deal with the most and seemed the most changed at the end.

chris
Frozen Embryo

Post by chris » Apr 16th 2002, 4:17 am

I had to think about these answers. It's fun to review all the episodes in my mind - thanks for the memories!

1. Favorite Episode: Why Jordan Can't Read (extremely well constructed and acted!)
2. Favorite Moment: Angela's dance in Why Jordan Can't Read. Was life ever that full of possibility? BTW, I must be the only person on the planet, but...I wasn't particularly moved by the moment in Self Esteem when Jordan grabs Angela's hand.
3.Favorite Quote: ""Okay, so maybe he's bi. Who cares? His cousin can still drive."
4.Least Favorite Moment: Brian and Delia when he blew her off. It hurts to listen to them.
5. Event that resembled an event in my life: Brian and Rayanne in the basement in Halloween.
6. I got chills when Angela finally realized that Brian loves her at the end of "Dreams". I think her reaction - the expression on her face - said more about the bond between her and Brian (whatever eventually became of it) than anything else could.
7. I cringed when Angela extracted a "technical" way to get to the dance from Brian. A train wreck, happening in slow motion. I couldn't even watch this episode the first time through.
8. I cried when: Rayanne told Patty "Thanks...for, like, my life".
9. I smiled biggest when: Graham and Brian discussed wallpaper.
10. I laughed hardest when: Patty talked with Angela about "having sex" with Jordan.
Honorable mention: Graham says "Gee, thanks, well, I'd like to help you, sir, but I'm too busy picturing your daughter naked."
11. Angela should choose: Brian, no question. But I don't think she'll realize it right away.
12. Should Angela and Rayanne make up: Yes, but it will never be the same.
13. Which personality is most like mine: Brian, I'm afraid. But I hide it better ;)
14. I would most like to befriend: Rickie. He's the best person on the show.
15. Character which grew the most: Hmmm. I'm going to have to go with Jordan on this one. It's possible his life changed in ways that actually change his future.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Apr 16th 2002, 9:36 am

Great answers! I'm so glad people are keeping this poll alive. ;-)

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

Brainiac
Nicky Driscoll
Location: Oxford, England (for now at least) Otherwise, Virginia, USA

Post by Brainiac » Apr 17th 2002, 9:31 am

Ohhh, I know I should really be studying for exams, but I couldn't resist replying to this ;-)

Favorite over-all episode: For the one I've actually seen all the way through, 'Life of Brian.' I've only read the transcript for the final episode (and watched the video clips on this site like a billion times) but I think that it would be a tie between 'Life of Brian' and 'In Dreams Begin Responsibilites'.
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Brian and Angela that final episode. Okay, I know I just said I've never seen the whole episode, but watching the video clip on this site is totally awesome!
Favorite, like, quote: 'There's something about my life. It's just automatically true that nothing actually happens.'-- Brian Krakow. I wrote this in my journal the night I saw this episode because it was SO true! (and still is in many ways ;-) There are many more quotes I enjoy (after having reviewed the transcripts and reading all the episodes I haven't seen), but this has got to be classic. Close second: 'I mean, people pairing off...into couples. It's like...I wasn't expecting it, or something, like, like, did we cover this, was I absent that day?' --Brian ('The Zit')
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: When Brian is breaking his date with Delia. Ouch.
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: Any time Brian is doing anything socially inept! Or studying for calculus ;-)
I got chills when: Brian is pouring his heart out in the letter to Angela even while giving the letter to Jordan ('In Dreams Begin Responsibilities').
I cringed when: Angela is in that house with Jordan and she feels SO uncomfortable ('Pressure')
I cried when: Angela got in the car with Jordan and left Brian after he is on the verge of pouring his heart out after their MOMENT *sigh/weep :*-(
I smiled biggest when: Angela and Sharon made up over the Girl Scout quote. Awww. ('The Zit')
I laughed hardest when: THE WALLPAPER. All those scenes with the wallpaper conversation. 'Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's like destroying me' ('Life of Brian')
I hope that Angela chose: BRIAN. You have to give Krakow-like people out there some hope!!! I agree with the others -- it wouldn't be spontaneous, but I think she would finally come to realise how much he means to her. Just like when Angela talks about friends who don't try to change you but accept you for who you've become. Brian has done that.
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up: yes. Given time.
Character whose personality is most like mine: Brian Krakow (can ya tell?) Except that I'm female. And I'm not as sarcastic as he is.
Character I'd most like to befriend: most everybody. Except Delia. I don't think I'd get along with Rayanne or Jordan very well, though.
Character who grew the most: Rayanne

kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kenickie » Apr 17th 2002, 1:50 pm

O.k., here goes....
Fave episode : So-called angels.
Fave moment : There are far too many!! All the scenes with just Sharon and Rayanne. Throughout the shows they grew to tolerate and like each other I think. (I really love the bit in the gym when the girls help each other with sit-ups) :)
Favorite, like, quote : Rickie : where is Tino?
Rayanne : Relax, he'll be here. Haven't you ever waited for anything?
Rickie : Yeah, for my life to start.
Least fave moment : Angela walking around the corner of the street after a night out and seeing Graham with that other woman.
Event that most resembled an event in my own lfe : Rickie being kicked out of his Uncles house and not knowing where to go.
I get chills when : I can't answer this one.
I cringed when : Yep, I'm afraid it has to be Rayanne and Jordan.
I cried when : Anyone did anything (it felt like!). I think I cried most when, in so-called angels Patty went into the church and found Angela and Rickie and gave them both hugs. And also the bit when
Rickie knocked on Mr ketimpsky's door. (sorry about the spelling!)
I smiled biggest when : Delia told Rickie she had "the biggest crush" on him :)
I laughed loudest when : Patty demanded "ice cream, I need ice cream"!!
I hope Angela chose : Brian
I hope Angela and Rayanne make up : Yes.
Character whose personality is most like mine : Rayanne
Character I'd most like to befriend : Angela.
Character who grew most : They all grew alot and they all learnt a lot about themselves (even the smaller characters).

Let's make the memories, that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 17th 2002, 2:11 pm

My favorite scene with RayAnne and Sharon is in "So Called Angels" when they are working the teen help line. And of course," duh squared". I was happy that Rayanne and Sharon seemed to put differences behind them as the show progressed.

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens.

Brooklyn
Tino

Post by Brooklyn » Apr 19th 2002, 12:37 am

Favorite over-all episode: Life of Brian
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Jordan & Angela outside of the dance when he leans in and it looks like he's about to kiss her, but instead he says, "Why are you like this?"
Favorite, like, quote: "Oh look at me, I'm way cool. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax."
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: Anything between Graham and Hallie
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: Rayanne getting the lead in the school play.
I got chills when: Angela and Jordan make eye contact across the gym at the World Happiness Dance
I cringed when: Jordan completely ignoring and being rude to Angela at Pike Street
I cried when: the end of So-Called Angels
I smiled biggest when: Jordan holding Angela's hand publicly at the end of Self-Esteem
I laughed hardest when: Patty got drunk and made a fool of herself in Weekend
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): definately Jordan
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): yes, of course
Character I'd most like to befriend: Sharon
Character who grew the most over that year: Patty, but also Jordan

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Sep 10th 2002, 3:52 pm

It's REALLY HARD to choose!! ;)

Favorite over-all episode: omg, all of them. but i guess i'll have to stick with "in dreams begin responsibilities"

Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: oh, too too many. It seems that because it was always so well written, no moment would ever go to waste. they were all so well contructed and important and poignant.

Favorite, like, quote: "People always tell you to be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing. Like a toaster. Like you can know what it is, even. But sometimes I'll have like, a moment. Where being myself, right where I am, is like... enough."

Least favorite moment between 2 characters: jordan and rayanne. aaack

Event that most resembled an event in my own life: so many little moments and thoughts that would just make me go "oh i SO know what you mean." like her analysis of social ettiquette in school (boys having it easy, how "when you say someone's name, kind of loud, and they don't hear you, it suddenly makes you feel really lonely"), all those little awkward moments seemed to encapsulate high school perfectly, Angela's happy dances. :)

I got chills when: ever Jordan would make Angela's little daydreams come true ;)

I cringed when: Brian murmured "oh my god" when Angela came down the stairs in "life of brian." i was just so embarrassed for everyone involved. LOL

I cried when: a lot of times, but here's one... when Angela crawled back into her mom's arms at the end of the pilot and said "my mother was adopted. For awhile she was looking for her real parents. I guess that's what everyone's looking for." (such a beautiful, poignant line. it still makes me misty now)

I smiled biggest when: Jordan took her hand at the end of Self-Esteem. I think I did an Angela-esque happy dance. ;)

I laughed hardest when: Patty told Angela that "sweetheart, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. You LIKE this Jordan, I accept that, we just wanna meet him!" and Jordan snickers and asks "So, you like me? Your mother says you like me." :lol:

I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Jordan

I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes, but give it time

Character whose personality is most like mine: Angela (definitely. like so many people, i kept thinking that is ME! ;) )

Character I'd most like to befriend: Rickie

Character who grew the most over that year: Jordan
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 10th 2002, 5:22 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't watched the show in 4 years, so this is relying on my memory.

Favorite over-all episode:Halloween. I don't know why, I just always loved that episode.

Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Jordan & Angela outside of the dance when he leans in and it looks like he's about to kiss her, but instead he says, "Why are you like this?"

Favorite, like, quote: "People always tell you to be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing. Like a toaster. Like you can know what it is, even. But sometimes I'll have like, a moment. Where being myself, right where I am, is like... enough."

Least favorite moment between 2 characters: I have to agree with many before me who said any scene betweeen Graham and Patty.

Event that most resembled an event in my own life: It's a cross between the scene in the bathroom with Angela and Sharon when they fight; and the entire episode when Angela is "pusing her dad off his pedestal" as Patty put it. Also, when Patty talked with Angela about "having sex" with Jordan. "Mom! I'm not having sex! Not even close. To an embarrasing degree."

I got chills when: See number two.

I cringed when: Brian broke date with Delia outside Big Guy Burger.

I cried when: The end of The Zit, "So-Called Angels", and the scene between Angela and Rayanne when they are reciting lines from "Our Town". "Were you happy?"

I smiled biggest when: Jordan took her hand at the end of Self-Esteem. And the scene when Ricki and Delia dance to "What is Love?" at the World Happiness Dance.

I laughed hardest when: Patty talked with Angela about "having sex" with Jordan. "Mom! I'm not having sex! Not even close. To an embarrasing degree."

I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Jordan now, but Brian later in life.

I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes, but given a little time.

Character I'd most like to befriend: Rayanne

Character who grew the most over that year: Proabably Sharon.

Great post! I really need to get my hands on those DVDs so I can remember more! :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Sep 10th 2002, 7:43 pm

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I just had to repeat some of the lines that you guys chose for what made you laugh the hardest, cuz they got me cracking up just now remembering them:

Brian says "Oh My God" in Weekend. Graham says "Go to school" when Danielle asks about the parents having to meet her boyfriend if they already knew him. Jordan asks Brian, "Why are you here?" in Dancing in the Dark. "YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF INSANITY - I DO NOT!" :lol: Damn, i love this show! :lol:

by the way, i had a question... how do we get those little names under our regular screen names? Like some people's say Catalano or whatever... i believe mine says Frozen Embryo...
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 10th 2002, 9:26 pm

Some of these questions are too specific for me to remember; it's been far too long since I've seen anything besides the first 3 episodes, but here goes a few of these...

Favorite Episode: Life of Brian (the first episode I really remember being drawn to and the first one that made me want to see another one)

Favorite Moment: I'll let the words do the talking...

Angela: "Jordan Catalano is coming over."
Brian: "What?"
Angela: "Yeah, shut up! Why is that so amazing? I'm sorry if you disapprove."
Brian: "I don't disapprove, I'm just sickened."
Angela: "We're probably gonna see The Bicycle Thief."
Brian: "You think Jordan Catalano will understand one word of Bicycle Thief? You only understand it because I explained it to you. You're bringing Jordan Catalano to The Bicycle Thief? That idiot?"
Angela: "Don't you dare call him that! You don't know, you don't understand. Not for one second. You think you understand, but you don't! You just analyze everything until it barely even exists."

The tension, the performance, the dialogue; I can't explain why this scene is my favorite, it just is.

Favorite Quote: "So this is what people mean when they talk about, you know...life."

Event that most resembled an event in my own life: Angela and Sharon growing apart. I was seeing from Sharon's point of view.

I laughed loudest when: Brian: "She's, like, making him beg for his shoes." Rickie: "Wow. I've never heard of that."

I hope Angela chose: herself

I hope Angela and Rayanne make up: Yes, but they would've eventually grown apart anyway.

Character whose personality is most like mine: Brian
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 10th 2002, 10:20 pm

nkatsa - check out this thread in the Announcements Forum:

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732

We are all given rank names based on the number of times we have posted. They are listed there.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 11th 2002, 3:14 pm

Whoah. :shock: I just re-read my first post, and I would like to make a correction.

For my least favorite moment between two characters, I meant to say anything between Graham and Hallie, not Graham and Patty. I actually loved some scenes between Graham and Patty. Especially in the Halloween episode where they have sex on the couch in the Pirate and Rapunze costumes. "Keep on the tights. Just. A. Little. Bit. Longer." Hee.