Anyone else feel EXACTLY what a character does in school?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Nicky Driscoll

Anyone else feel EXACTLY what a character does in school?

Post by 411314 » May 27th 2010, 11:16 pm

When I was in high school, and even when I was in middle school and elementary school, I remember feeling exactly the things Brian says or is implied to be feeling in Life of Brian and some other episodes; the loneliness and isolation from other students, the great discomfort and anxiousness, the sense that "it's automatically true that nothing happens" in his/my life and there's nothing he can/I could do about it, the sense that nobody else cares about his/cared about my feelings, and the bitterness and resentfullness about all of the above. The feelings are so identical that sometimes Brian's naration in Life of Brian almost made me cry from reliving unpleasant memories and It almost felt wierd to think someone ELSE invented this character without even knowing of my existence. It''s like Brian is a copy of my school-self only with better grades and different interests (including a love interest - thank god I never had an unrequited serious attraction like Brian does with Angela). Heck, even Angela's statement about Brian not understanding people could have applied to me. Does anyone else identify that strongly with a character on the show?

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Re: Anyone else feel EXACTLY what a character does in school?

Post by stburr91 » Jun 1st 2010, 10:44 pm

I think a lot of people can relate to the Brian character. I know I relate more to him any of the other character, maybe that's why Life of Brian is one of my favorite episodes. I love how we got to see into Brian's life in that episode.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Nicky Driscoll

Re: Anyone else feel EXACTLY what a character does in school?

Post by 411314 » Jun 22nd 2010, 9:25 am

I loved the way we got to see Brian's life too. I also loved how after always seeing Angela so intimately, we finally got to see her from an outside perspective. If only the show hadn't been cancelled, I would have loved to see more episodes from other points of view.