There's Something About Hallie

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Tish
Three Rivers Resident

There's Something About Hallie

Post by Tish » Nov 9th 2009, 3:16 am

do you find her annoying?..i do do do i hate the way she talks and eats or when she does both at once...and her personality...grrrrrrrrrrr :x
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: There's Something About Hallie

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 12th 2009, 1:15 am

I actually LOVE Hallie. I love Patty too, in a different way, but I can't watch Hallie Lowenthal without cracking up. (I think there's some old post somewhere where we spoke about making I heart Graham and I Heart Hallie t-shirts.) I don't remember what I thought of her when I first watched the show, but now there's no denying my love. Her comic timing is genius. "Well, this utterly sucks." "Nothing. There is nothing to say." "Next?" "You're asking a man to describe someone - sorry, sorry, while I'm sitting here?" and more and more and more. I love how she runs to the bathroom too. The cooking class scenes in "Self-Esteem" are my favs.; she and Graham are so funny together, I love his reactions to her. So, yes, there is something about Hallie ... awesomesness. (Unless she actually does succeed in stealing Graham away, because I would not be down with that.)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 27th 2009, 5:27 am

I totally agree with Jody (hi jody) about Hallie Lowenthal. She is awesome. And I think I still could have liked her even if she'd become a successful homewrecker. But I can definitely see how she could annoy people.

On a side note I did end up making an I heart Cynthia Hargrove T shirt. It's pretty much a rag now.

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Tish » Dec 2nd 2009, 5:25 am

nnnnnnnnnnnnope i think she's as irritating as a big ol' mosquita bite... :x

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 3rd 2009, 11:15 pm

Tish wrote:nnnnnnnnnnnnope i think she's as irritating as a big ol' mosquita bite... :x
Yeah, I hear that, but, I don't know, I really like her. Don't you love the way she says the sauce is a "poem"? She just says it so great.
"It's a bout, risotto..." :fadein:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Tish » Dec 12th 2009, 2:20 am

yeah she has her cute moments...she so obvious wants to hit it with graham... :lol:

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Mar 17th 2010, 11:41 pm

I like Hallie so much that I even rented one of Lisa Waltz's few film appearances, in a low-budget romance / fantasy / drama called "Starry Night." The title alludes to Van Gogh's famous painting of the same name, with his being reincarnated in modern Los Angeles. The film wasn't art for the ages, but it was reasonably entertaining, and Waltz did a more than capable job, showing the same (here, also serio-)comic timing and great charm.

Hallie was everything that Patty was not: innovative, spark-making, thinking outside life's "boxes," willing to discuss everything taboo (almost too much) ... and red-haired. Not opposites, but complements. Graham couldn't help but be intrigued. We know from the final episode, and from Winnie Holzman's printed comments, that he would have become far more than merely intrigued.

I wouldn't necessarily have "liked" seeing a pause or hiatus — I doubt it would have been a permanent break — in the Chases' marriage. If anyone could have made the scenario portray something beyond the standard separation / divorce clichés, though, it would be these actors, Holzman, and the producers. It wouldn't have been pretty to see, but it would have been up to their standard of excellence. It also would have been an early stretching of Claire Danes's acting chops, in having to react to such turmoil.

I'd have to say it's unfortunate that, outside fan fiction, we saw none of that ... yet, come to think of it, does any "MSCL" fanfic have Hallie at all in a prominent role? Let alone depict her in something other than a wicked-homebreaker mode?
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

flannelshirt
Frozen Embryo

Post by flannelshirt » Mar 23rd 2010, 11:07 pm

I always thought she was hot :D