Just another obsessed fan?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Umbrello
Tino

Just another obsessed fan?

Post by Umbrello » Jul 30th 2009, 9:53 pm

So I've finally finished off the final episode tonight, and held off reading or posting anything here until I did. And I must say, what I have just witnessed is undoubtedly the most touching, realistic, and engaging television series(if you want to call it that) I have ever seen. Directing, acting, everything.. the way it's meant to be done.

And this goes into something more, I think. What drew me into the show was Angela. Angela Chase. Just thinking the name, wow. Did anyone else fall in love with her? Puts me into some sort of transcendental state, and sick to my stomach because there's no way I can be with her. How she deserves so much better, and how she just... doesn't know. I guess it's the most perfect representation of a girl for me.

And the way each episode ends, and more notably begins. It just put this terrible knot in my stomach and nearly a tear to my eye, because it was just sublime sadness in some weird way. To see her cry, or express grief.. it's too real. And it pained me even more to see the road she takes. Everything with Jordan. He was too distant. He never got close enough when she needed it most. And because I knew she would get hurt. And that's all it ever was ever about - Jordan, but it was great while it lasted, right?

Your favorite episode?

The Pilot episode, of course. So much drama, emotion, narrative direction. So many great quotes. You got to really feel for Angela and to know what she was all about, well, for the most part. You can really tell they put the most effort and time into this one episode. And it became the opening for every episode after that.

Also, it upsets me - the way the whole season ends. I mean, how can you just end it like that?! Sure, I know, it didn't get picked up, they had no choice... but there was so much going on. So much potential for more. It's really depressing it just stopped there. And were the ratings really that bad?

So, I don't know. I look forward to hearing from the MSCL community. Don't know how active this place is. I'm up for some analyzing. This was deep.

Cami A.
Catalano

Re: Just another obsessed fan?

Post by Cami A. » Jul 31st 2009, 12:59 am

Umbrello,

Welcome! I just discovered this show in October 2007, and when I was finished watching I felt the same way, well not in love with Angela Chase, but I was in love with the series as a whole. She is too real, really! The way her mouth crumples...I relate to her so much. She is me at 15 for sure!! I've never heard anyone express feelings of love for Angela, like this, but I can see how it could happen.

I think you'll enjoy the episode discussion threads...
and check out my "About Angela" thread!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Jul 31st 2009, 12:22 pm

Welcome Umbrello! As much as I enjoy rewatching the series, I cannot possibly express how jealous I am that you just got to do it for the first time. Although I've come to appreciate MSCL even more over the years, there is nothing quite like experiencing it for the first time. You'll know what I'm talking about 4 years from now when you see an episode for the 12th time.

Of course, the series ended. But not the stories! There are a quite a few interesting fan fiction stories by mscl.com users that either continue the series or interject new scenes. Check them out!

There are plenty of obsessed fans that come through this site. Most, me included, tend to frequent the site in fits and spurts. Still, the archives are full of excellent discussions about the show going back many years. There's a wealth of information, observations, and emotions splayed all over this site. Enjoy! And don't make your first post your last. :)

shanna-irl
Tino

Post by shanna-irl » Aug 14th 2009, 6:56 pm

I was just a young teen when MSCL originally aired in Ireland. For the last 15 years, one name has stayed with me constantly: Jordan Catalano. I couldn't remember much about the episodes, but every time I thought of his name, I was transported right back to that summer when I ached for him almost as much as Angela did. Not since then, (or I suspect ever again) has one short TV series affected me as much as this one. I wanted the red hair, I wanted the checked shirt, I wanted Jordan!!
I tried to get the DVD boxset of the series in many, many shops but to no avail - living in a small country town didn't help. It went out of my head for years, until last week when I was browsing through Amazon.......and there it was. It arrived two days ago, and even now, at age 26 and a mother of a 4-year old, it brought back all the old emotions I thought were long buried. Without a doubt, the absolute best purchase I have ever, ever made. I stumbled across this forum tonight after watching the final episode, (not ashamed to say I cried) and it's nice to know that it had an effect on so many.
It was more than a TV show. It was a feeling.
Looking forward to reading more on this gorgeous site, thank you to the creators xxxxx

newtomscl
Frozen Embryo

Post by newtomscl » Aug 23rd 2009, 9:27 am

Im feel exactly the same i have been moved by this show just as everyone else has, it felt like more then just a tv show, i have never felt emotions like this from a tv show. I know think is probably abit sexist but most of the people with these feelings are probably female, but im a 25 year old male that has just discovered this show and i too have had the same reaction. I fell in love with angela and the rest of the cast and was genuinely anrgy/sad/disapointed when it came to the last episode.
It also doesnt feel as if it is a 15 year old show, it feels as if it could have been aired yesterday for the first time. Foe example when u watch seinfeld you can really tell that the show has been on the air for a long time. I hope one day someone will make a show as timeless as this one. It is truly a very rare piece of art.
My girlfriend and i have just started watching veronica mars and it just feels so cheap and fake watching it compared to mscl. I hope it isnt a once in a lifetime show as i would feel for the younger generation as they wont have a show they can connect with like ours did this show.

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 25th 2009, 7:10 am

I can't believe that MSCL is now 15 years old. I am a 30 year old male and I can wathc this show over and over again and feel the same emotions I did when I first watched it. Something should have done to mark the anniversary either on this website or somewhere else. I really wish they had made a reunion show. I feel that showing the characters having just entered there 30s would have been amazing and it would have given some closure to us obsessed fans. I just recently watched MSCL with my wife for the first time. She absolutely loved it. She isn't from the UK where I am from and English isn't her first language but she is now as obsessed as I am.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Aug 25th 2009, 5:40 pm

I'm a 36 year old male, and I love the show as much now, as I did back in 94. I always liked how the show captured the raw emotions of being a teenager.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Tracey
Tino

Post by Tracey » Apr 29th 2010, 7:00 pm

Hi! I've been reading the posts here on and off for years. I had some free time near the computer today and ... the fandom took over! I love my DVDs, I don't have the new box set, but I did netflix them to hear the commentaries. I guess that counts as obsessed. When I'm bored and have time to kill near the internet, I'll read fanfiction. This site has some good writers. Anyways, hello!

Nicky Driscoll

Post by 411314 » Jun 22nd 2010, 9:48 am

I discovered the show just this year and I was amazed how much Brian Krakow reminded me of myself in school. I struggled with almost all the same feelings as him when I was in elementary, middle, and high school. I couldn't agree more about it being a shame that the show ended where it did. I keep feeling so unsatisfied and wishing it would be re-made exactly (same dialogue, storylines, etc.) with new actors who could then cary it into more seasons where whatever would have happened happens. The fanfiction here gives me some fleeting satisfaction, but I have to accept that the show ended where it did and there's never going to be a canon continuation.

Swagger91
Frozen Embryo

Post by Swagger91 » Aug 30th 2010, 10:58 am

I'm an 18 year old male and I'm currently watching MSCL for the first time (I just watched 'Pressure' last night) and I feel exactly the same way, I'm totally in love with Angela Chase. She's exactly the kind of girl I needed in my life 3 years ago when I was 15 and in my eyes she's perfect in spite of all her flaws. I don't think anyone could've played her quite like Claire Danes did, so realistic and honest, and the fact that Claire is totally hot (both then and now) really helps :wink:

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Aug 31st 2010, 8:35 pm

Swagger91 wrote:I'm an 18 year old male and I'm currently watching MSCL for the first time (I just watched 'Pressure' last night) and I feel exactly the same way, I'm totally in love with Angela Chase. She's exactly the kind of girl I needed in my life 3 years ago when I was 15 and in my eyes she's perfect in spite of all her flaws. I don't think anyone could've played her quite like Claire Danes did, so realistic and honest, and the fact that Claire is totally hot (both then and now) really helps :wink:

Ahhh, spoken like a true 18 year old male! Remind me of, well. . .me when I was 18! I still love the show all these years later and even for some of the same reasons. I'm so jealous that you're seeing these episodes for the first time! Keep us updated on how it's going so we can live vicariously through your first time through.

Swagger91
Frozen Embryo

Post by Swagger91 » Sep 2nd 2010, 9:21 am

I watched 'Resolutions' last night. Even though it dealt with some heavy stuff (the whole Rickie storyline) it had some really funny moments like Jordan calling Brian "Brain" and Mr Katimski showing up at Angela's house. In fact Mr Katimski is pretty hilarious in whatever he does and he really reminds me of one of my English teachers. So very, very strange 0X

missyjcat
Frozen Embryo

Post by missyjcat » Oct 9th 2010, 9:18 pm

Just watched the entire season from start to finish for the first time last night on Hulu. I could not turn it off. I caught it every now and then on TV back in the 90s, but never really paid too much attention. (probably going through too much teen drama myself :)

And now I'm stuck between nostalgia, dissatisfaction, and longing for more MSCL material to consume and obsess over!

Anyway, glad I found this site. :)

And LOVE 90s fashion. Totally looking for an updated version of those Doc's haha.

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Oct 11th 2010, 9:17 pm

missyjcat wrote:And now I'm stuck between nostalgia, dissatisfaction, and longing for more MSCL material to consume and obsess over!
I know just what you mean! This site and Hulu are always good when I need a MSCL fix, though.