A couple of questions

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
flannelshirt
Frozen Embryo

A couple of questions

Post by flannelshirt » Sep 17th 2008, 8:50 pm

Hey anyone notice that all the flannel shirts get rotated to different members of the cast. Kinda funny. In "why jordan cant read" during the begining of the episode they are walking around in a museum. Anyone know which one. It looks alot like the Philidelaphia Museum of Arts. But yeah, new to the forum but a big fan. I have the new dvd box set, the cd and the books. more questions coming.

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Sep 18th 2008, 1:31 am

I've noticed they all where flannel shirts but I didn't know they rotated the same ones. I have the dvd set and have watched those shows a hundred times but never noticed. Now i'm going to have to pay more attention!
They did the same thing in "Roseanne" with the chicken shirt.
"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

HeyDave
Tino

Post by HeyDave » Oct 24th 2008, 8:04 pm

i've never noticed that before either. I'll have to take another look but I think they must just be similar lookign shirts

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Oct 25th 2008, 2:17 am

I never took the time to focus on their clothes, lol.
But I guess now that you mention it the same color flannel shirt does show up on a lot of the characters. I think that there's another thread about this--where the incidents are cataloged by someone.
It's Titled "Recurring Clothes" http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=258
I also read somewhere, that the budget for MSCL was very small, and each person had a very small wardrobe of clothes that they got to pick out and mix and match to make different outfits throughout the series--it was like being real teenagers--the kind without money for a new outfit every day. I thought that was neat.
Also, Winne Holzman says on the DVD commentary that they filmed in a Warehouse on Tennessee Ave in Culver City, CA, not a normal studio--so when someone flushed the toilet they had to stop filming! That's how ghetto it was! But despite that the filming, story, and acting is the best I've seen!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Nov 18th 2008, 3:55 pm

I think the low budget helped the show. The filming was amazing, didn't seem low budget, it seemed authentic. Isn't that what we loved...eh...love about the show?
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Nov 19th 2008, 3:49 am

I couldn't agree more. The low budget was necessary to making the show authentic and all around the most excellent piece of media ever.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."