The Bear

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
K-man
Liberty High Graduate

The Bear

Post by K-man » Mar 21st 2002, 4:09 pm

Since most of the postings lately concern our favorite scene(s), I wanted to hear your thoughts on one of my favorites. In 'Resolutions', the scene that begins with Sharon and Brian in the hallway just after Krakow learns he will be tutoring Jordan. Sharon has just rec'd. a teddy bear from Kyle that reads "I Love You Beary Much". Then Brian and Sharon have a really bizarre exchange that is basically two separate conversations. The next scene is Brian tutoring Jordan. Brian is emptying his bookbag and Jordan asks," What's that bear?". I always laugh at that. Welcome back Angelika....it's good to have you back in the forum!

k-man

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: The Bear

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 22nd 2002, 5:29 am

The part that cracks me up the most is how the bear ends up abused and in the bathroom. Talk about classic!

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Sep 26th 2003, 4:00 pm

In 'Resolutions', the scene that begins with Sharon and Brian in the hallway just after Krakow learns he will be tutoring Jordan. Sharon has just rec'd. a teddy bear from Kyle that reads "I Love You Beary Much". Then Brian and Sharon have a really bizarre exchange that is basically two separate conversations. The next scene is Brian tutoring Jordan. Brian is emptying his bookbag and Jordan asks," What's that bear?". I always laugh at that.
I know this is a really old string--but I just had to say that this is one of my favorite scenes as well. It made me laugh just to read K-Man's post about it. So naturally-I had to respond.

We don't subscribe to cable or sattelite, so when I am just hanging around and feeling bored, I pop in an ep of MSCL. Due to this, my 6 yo son is well versed on the series and knows the characters well. He has many discussions with me regarding their relationships and what not :lol: Being as I am such a Krakow fan, he is always pointing out things in the episodes that show Jordan in a bad light. It cracks me up.

Anyway--my point--My son always makes me rewind to watch the part when Krakow is holding up the bear as Sharon walks away, and the girls in the hall say "Hey Krakow--Nice bear--what's it's name"--and my son always says that line along with them and rolls on the floor laughing. I just had to share that. It is so comical.

PS--as you can see--I'm a rambler--hope it doesn't become to :oops: annoying :oops:
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 9:44 pm

I agree the scene is very funny!!!
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: The Bear

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 2:46 am

K-man wrote:Brian is emptying his bookbag and Jordan asks," What's that bear?". I always laugh at that. Welcome back Angelika....it's good to have you back in the forum!
I always wondered why Brian KEPT the bear. Did he intend to give it back to Sharon, or was he going to bring it home?

:shock:

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 23rd 2003, 12:55 pm

I think Brian kept the bear thinking Sharon might want it back later, not to take it home to obcess over or give to someone else. Although he didn't keep it very long because at some point it met an untimely death lynched to the urinal. I must admit the image of Brian wondering confused down the hall clutching the bear is priceless.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:02 pm

I was thinking that Brian had the bear because he's the type that would be like "whatever" as in accepting something thrown at him more than an I don't care type of whatever. Like someone butting in line in front of you and you don't do anything but let it go. And, maybe Brian was going to plan a way use it to give it to none other than....Angela!
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:24 pm

I hope Brian would have more sense than Kyle and not give a bear saying "i love you beary much" to someone who doesn't love him beary much at all.

:D

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 23rd 2003, 5:46 pm

"Nice bear, Krakow!" This is a great extra's line.

I wonder if Brian throws the bear away, gives it away, or someone takes it from him. It's a mystery how it ends up in the urinal. I don't think he would give it to Angela. It's way too corny.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 23rd 2003, 11:35 pm

But remember, Brian does corny things too, or at least, the result of his actions and comments end up being corny (see Life of Brian)...and with his obsession for Angela, he is in "not able to think straight" territory.
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

Jody Barsch

Post by Jody Barsch » Nov 16th 2003, 11:23 pm

This is a great topic! This and the scene between Brian and Rickie sitting on the stairs in "Self-Esteem," ("Who's Enrique and Ricardo?" "I mean they're two completely different names!") are two of the funniest scenes! (Also is "Dancing in the Dark" when Rayanne and Rickie are bugging Brian about the volumeter in his kitchen "I mean, what is the point?")

Getting back on topic: Brian still has the bear when he meets with Jordan because people in the halls were making fun of him for having it and so he just stuffed it in his backpack to not have to deal with. Tutoring was proabably just after that passing period since Brian was so desperate about gettign a replacement. I doubt that Brian kept the bear for himself, but rather he was pressed to get it out of sight. Brian clearly finds the bear as lame as we do. My favorite thing about the bear and Brian and Jordan is that Jordan really seems to like the bear. He asks about it and smiles, and even after Brian dissmisses and stuffs it away, Jordan is still peaking at it with a smile. "Oh yeah?" I am NOT saying that Jordan Catalano sleeps with a teddy bear or anything, but he kind liked the idea of a girl giving someone a little white bear. Of course Jordan probably would not be thrilled if Angela gave him a bear, especially in public, but it still amuses him.
Who knows though, maybe Jordan would appreciate getting a bear, though Angela would never do that, and if she did, it would probably be given with a lot of implied meaning, which Jordan would not dig. Anyway, I just like that the bear piques Jordan's interest and makes him smile-- just another thing that adds to the enigma that is Jordan Catalano.