the ice cream scene-- which episode?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
chrisl
Frozen Embryo

the ice cream scene-- which episode?

Post by chrisl » Jul 13th 2007, 7:20 am

Hi-- Hoping the network of MSCL fans can help me remember a scene, a still from which I want to use in a book I am writing.
Do you remember a scene in which Angela and Patty, after some distressing occurrence, retire to a bedroom and eat ice cream together straight out of the container?
Do you remember which episode that was in?
Would love it if you could help with this!
Chris

jensara
Frozen Embryo

Ice Cream

Post by jensara » Jul 13th 2007, 8:46 am

Is it the episode when she goes outside to play catch with Brian at the end. I think it is the one where Jordan is supposed to meet her parents and never shows up. That's why her Patty is giving her ice cream. I can look at my box set and let you know which one.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 13th 2007, 9:40 am

I think it is the one where Jordan is supposed to meet her parents and never shows up.
Exactly. That's episode #07, "Why Jordan Can't Read".

chrisl
Frozen Embryo

Post by chrisl » Jul 14th 2007, 5:35 am

Thank you so so much for your replies! Sascha, I can't tell you how kind it was to send the pic-- sadly, I don't have any taped episodes (I lent a bunch to a friend and never got them back!), and my local rental stores don't have any MSCL. So I would have had to scramble to get the pic if you had not sent it to me. Absolute magic-- thanks again! Chris
BTW, great to receive a communique from Saarland-- it was, interestingly enough, the first area we learned about in our introductory German class in college (the chapter's little dialogue was set at the Universitat at Saarbrucken)!
Chris

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 15th 2007, 7:08 am

chrisl wrote: BTW, great to receive a communique from Saarland-- it was, interestingly enough, the first area we learned about in our introductory German class in college (the chapter's little dialogue was set at the Universitat at Saarbrucken)!
Heh, that's funny, I actually do work at the University in Saarbrücken. But it's also very interesting that somebody decided to use our little-known (but beautiful) region as the opening chapter for a German class. I would have thought that they feature "the usual suspects" like Berlin, Cologne or the Oktoberfest in Munich ... but Saarbrücken, that's a nice change :-).

chrisl
Frozen Embryo

Post by chrisl » Jul 15th 2007, 1:43 pm

I had the rare experience of taking a class with the person who wrote the textbook she was teaching-- in this case her name was Ellin Feld, and I believe she started the book with Saarbrucken because she had done graduate work there. (Plus maybe she wanted students to get used to seeing two "a"s together, which you don't get very much in English!) I wish I could quote to you from the textbook, but it's packed in a box somewhere-- and I'm sure you can imagine most of it anyway: various students running around die Uni looking for the Bibliothek and the Resto-U-- that kind of thing.
I must say that I'm overjoyed to have gotten this info/photo from a German, since I am at the moment knee-deep in the worst cliches about Germans-- organisation, coldness, technical proficiency, etc-- and they're all coming, believe it or not, from Wolfgang Flur's "I Was a Robot" (originally Ich War Roboter, I suppose). Maybe Wolfgang is throwing these cliches around ironically. But whatever the case, nice to find a German with an appreciation for gooey teenage American melodrama. (Now I'm speaking somewhat ironically.)
Chris