new topic? Characters you identify with

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

new topic? Characters you identify with

Post by Lauria » Feb 28th 2002, 3:24 pm

Ok folks, the DVD set is seriously exciting, I know that... And I always appreciate NightJessi's updates about the airtimes of MSCL actors' other performances (even if they aren't in my time zone).... But come on!!!! Let's have a new discussion.

So which characters do you identify with? I, like probably many other female viewers (especially of my age) identify with Angela A LOT. I am, especially now, very introspective, and at that age I really struggled with who I was and who my friends were. In other ways I don't really identify with her and she just reminds me of other people I know or knew. Interestingly I see a lot of my parents in Angela's. This is especially because my mother was the one always enforcing the rules and my father was the laid back one who only spoke up when we spoke badly to our mother.

Maybe most of us identify with Angela, especially because she was the main character. I don't know though... so tell me.

=) L

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: new topic? Characters you identify with

Post by Joanna » Feb 28th 2002, 7:04 pm

Well.....I have to say......originally, when I first saw the show (and being 15 at the time) I totally related to Angela in thoughts and situations and in many ways I still do but I have since gone through a relating to Sharon stage also and who knows.....maybe one day we'll all be late 30-somethings and relating ourselves to Patty........lord help us!

Thanks for the new topic - a breath of fresh air on the topic board --- even though I am sure many of us have discussed it before. You mentioned who do we relate to - well the wierd thing is I think everyone canm relate their friends and family to characters in MSCL too! I certainly know a few Rickie's that's for sure!

Joanna x

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Post by somamoons » Mar 3rd 2002, 7:18 pm

When I first watched the show, I totally related to Angela. I loved her and wanted to be her so bad. As Ms. Graff said, I thought she was "in color...Major color."

But now, nearly 10 years later, I don't know who I identify with. I can definitely relate to all of the characters, but I don't think I could place myself in any of their shoes. It's kind of weird.

One interesting thing though, was that when the show first aired, I thought Angela was totally naive to Brian's interest in her. Upon a recent rewatch of the series, I came away with the exact opposite impression. I think Angela knew full well that Brian liked her, and possibly she liked him a little too. I don't have enough time to go into this right now though, maybe later.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 4th 2002, 1:36 am

When I first watched the show, it was Angela that I most identified with because as a teenager, I was a bit shy but starting to come out of my shell. I had somewhat shed old friends and was making new friends who were somewhat out there. Also, I was always doubting myself and always wanting the guy who seemed unattainable.

Although my life is much different than when I was younger, I still find myself identifying with Angela whenever I rewatch the show. I do think much of it is because she is the center of the show, but it's also because she is so emotive and she tends to overthink situations. I think that's something we can relate to, even if it's only from time to time.

Lauria, are you in Pacific time? If so, you can always do your own search of local listings on Gist.com to find out when the movies/TV shows I list here are playing. I'm actually in Central time, but I use Eastern because I assume most people go with that.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Colene
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Colene » Mar 4th 2002, 3:07 am

Like everyone else, I really related to Angela first time round. Upon rewatching the episodes, I could also relate to Danielle. I'm the youngest in my family, so I could see myself in some of her actions (ie. wanting to hang out with her big sister and her friends).

On another note, I don't know if Angela knew about Brian liking her. Remember the episode where at the end she's talking about crushes with Brian (they were throwing the softball around)? It was so evident that Brian liked her but she was oblivious.

sister dew
Frozen Embryo

Post by sister dew » Mar 4th 2002, 6:27 am

When I saw the show for the first time I was also exactly Angela's age and I most identified with her, my friends thought we were similar as well (introspective, even the same backpack - not on purpose!,the way she runs her hair through her fingers when she's thinking, etc.)...
Anyway, now that I'm older I can feel more distance between us but it's like she's an old friend that I know really well.
I have to say that Angela's mother seems like she is my mother's twin sister (although she doesn't see it - denial...)
I have to say though that my favorite character of all time (since I first saw the show and still today) is Ricky - I adore him and I wish he were my best friend...

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 4th 2002, 11:21 am

Somamoons! Explain yourself I am curious - I don't think Angela knew that Brian liked her and when someone suggested it to her in a later episode she seemed horrified. Anyway, although I have already answered the header to this main question I forgot to mention Danielle, I agree with Colene - I too am the youngest in my family and often find it very easy to relate to her in the way she feels and how she is treated (even now I am nearly 23 !!!) My sister is 26 and she is everything everyone expects ME to be! Well, I'm just not.....face it, I have! (OK, a slipped in a quote there from 'the Zit'....something else I relate too too! LOL)

JO x

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Post by Guest » Mar 4th 2002, 9:31 pm

Hi everyone, It's funny cause I really enjoy all the characters in this show, each one has something different & cool that makes the show click. I always thought that I really understood Brian's character..liking someone so much but not really knowing how to express his thoughts into actions. Then when he try's always seems to mess things up. There were always subtle clues that maybe Angela knew how much Brian liked her but they were usually just seconds into a scene. Of course Angela was the whole show & the way she talked & expressed her feelings was something I could identity with also.

One of my many favorite scenes was when Angela was sitting in Jordan's car & he was going to make out w/ her and this kinda took her by suprise..She said something like...God..people have to work up to that ya know. Just little scenes like that were so professional captured on video. Great acting for such young people. We just don't see that kind of acting anymore on t.v.

Also another cool scene was at the school hall & Jordan was talking w/ Angela & all of a sudden she was "hearing" him ramble on.. while she saw this thread hanging from the corner of his shirt collar & she starts talking about how he might be poor or something...It's funny!!!

Sorry I got off topic a little LOL I just love this show!!! It has alot of cool moments!!!

R

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 5th 2002, 3:23 pm

Wow, I'm really glad to see that so many of you added your thoughts to this topic. (yay!)

It's very weird for me to admit this, but I NEVER watched our beloved MSCL when it first came out. My mom thought it sounded good and I was horrified and angry that someone thought they could capture what it was like to be ME, at my age! In my misplaced teen-angst and grungewear I harrumphed away and never saw the show until I was a freshman in college, and then fell in love with it. Isn't it funny that I couldn't stand the mirror the show put in my face until college? This year has marked my the return of my fascination with the show and my comparison of my self, family, and life (past and present) to the lessons the characters learn, fail, and relearn.

I see so much of myself in the characters including Rickie, Sharon, Angela, and Danielle (among others). I, like Rickie, often have everyone coming to me with their problems...and I often have to be the wise one in those relationships... But then there is the perfectionistic me who gets a bit too stressed out, like Sharon. Then there is the introspective lost me who is trying to figure out who I am and what I want from life: Angela. And the youngest sibling me, Danielle, looking forever up to my siblings and wanting their repsect and attenttion. I am sure I could go on... You get the point!

NIGHTJESSI your times and information always struck me as relating to Central time and Chicago stations...hmm. maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to the times you listed. I am in the Eastern time zone, and actually am unable at present to watch TV since I choose not to get cable (I also make a pointed effort to not get an antenna). It's not that I think badly of TV, I just felt like forcing myself to avoid that particular addiction, so instead I rent movies, read, and spend WAY too much time online. So I guess I don't save myself any time do I? I think I am going to break down and get cable in a few months...

About Angela and whether she knew Brian liked her... well I'll post that further down the thread.

Hope springs eternal.

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 5th 2002, 3:31 pm

Hey, I am a youngest child too! I mention my identification with Danielle further up on the thread. About Angela and whether she knew Brian like her... Hmm. I think she didn't REALLY know. I think over time she realized (on some level) that he cared about her or needed a friendship from her, but when that happened she didn't want to admit to herself that he liked her, she didn't want it to be true as that would complicate things (hello run on sentence...). Obviously by the end she began to know that he felt something for her even though it happened in the last conversation of the show. But I don't thingk she knew all along.

=)
hope springs eternal

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 6th 2002, 12:55 am

I identify most with Brian, although a little less now that I'm older.

I was just thinking that I'm going to have to take the day after I get the DVDs off from work so I can reserve a day where I'll be able to stay up 19 hours straight. Aside from the first 3 episodes, I haven't seen the show in such a long time. Way too long, actually.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 7th 2002, 1:52 pm

I know what you mean, I will have a day of MSCL to celebrate!

Hope springs eternal

chosephine
Jody Barsh

Post by chosephine » Mar 7th 2002, 9:40 pm

I'm going to have to be predictable and say that I identify most with Angela although I do see parts of myself in Brian (mostly the unrequited love thing).

As for whether or not Angela knew that Brian liked her, I've always thought that she knew all along. She admits that she is always taking advantage of him and I don't think it's possible to use a person that much without realizing that they have feelings for you. Why else would Brian constantly let Angela take advantage of him if he didn't have a crush on her? Why else would he go out of his way to brush up on geometry to help her study, let her use his bike, blow off his date for the World Happiness Dance to go with her, and always find lame excuses to stop by her house? Why else would he keep asking her about Jordan Catalano? And why would he get so angry with her if he didn't like her so much? I think that Angela is a very perceptive person and that she realizes all of that, although she probably doesn't admit it to herself. But deep down she always knew how Brian felt about her, in my opinion, although she most likely did not know the full extent of his feelings until the final episode.

Kristian
Frozen Embryo

Post by Kristian » Mar 7th 2002, 10:09 pm

The MSCL character I identify with is Brian Krakow. No, wait, I don't "identify" with Brian, I AM Brian! "There's something about my life, it's just automatically true that nothing actually happens"...which is one of the reasons why I've ordered the (hopefully very time-consuming) DVD box despite the fact that I live in Sweden and thus will probably have to pay really insane shipping rates (if I'm lucky enough to get the discs at all, that is). Why get "an actual life" life when you can get an expensive box full of silver discs? ;)

Post by Guest » Mar 8th 2002, 1:36 am

Life? What's that? ;)