Brian never eats in the series!

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
estherlo
Tino

Brian never eats in the series!

Post by estherlo » Oct 14th 2006, 6:10 am

As discussed here food has a significant meaning and all main characters have their scenes eating some food but not Brian. He loses many chances, like pizza in Strangers In The House, hamburger brought from Dellia's restaurant in Life Of Brian, luch time with Ricky in Self-esteem(he complained giving lunch time to study), etc. There'er several implications for Brian's meal though, but we actually don't see him eating. Just feel strange!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 14th 2006, 4:19 pm

Food and eating play quite a role on MSCL. There are several discussions about food as it is used on MSCL that you might be interested in. There is a good discussion about it in this thread as well as very detailed analysis in Angela's World. Food is also discussed in several of the episode discussion threads.

Since food symbolizes love and nourishment, it's interesting to see the way different characters interact with food. Rayanne is always eating or snacking - lollipops, Chinese food brought by Tino, whatever she can find in the Chase refrigerator, etc. Rickie, on the other hand, makes pancakes for the Chase family when he stays with them, ostensibly as a way to show his love and appreciation. It goes without saying that Graham does the same thing on a much larger scale. Similarly, Amber offers Rayanne butterfly shrimp when she is feeling down. It's understandable that we don't see every single character eating, but it's interesting that Brian is often shown turning down offers of food.

Strangers in the House is a good episode for food discussion. It begins with Graham knowing exactly what Patty needs based on what she is eating. We then see a flashback of Angela wanting to share Sharon's drink when recovering from having her tonsils out. At the hospital, Graham immediately asks Camille if he can get her something to eat. After they get back from the hospital, no one is hungry except for Angela. The first morning that Sharon wakes up at the Chase house, Patty takes Angela's muffin and gives it to Sharon, who accepts it but doesn't eat it (meanwhile, Danielle is choking on buttermilk - ha!). Later that day, Graham brings Camille a cake at the hospital, revealing that he baked it the previous night when he was waiting for Patty to come home and he couldn't sleep. The next morning, both Danielle and Patty note that "there's, like, nothing edible" in the Chase house. Later that day, everyone is starving (in contrast to the first afternoon when no one but Angela was hungry) so they decide to order pizza but no one has any money. Brian is more than happy to pay. After Brian hears Sharon on the phone with Kyle and Patty argues with Graham, neither of them are hungry anymore.

One food related moment I like is at the end of Father Figures. Graham is still giving Angela the silent treatment, and Patty uses food to bring them back together by telling Angela to bring her dad a drink. Angela does it grudgingly, announcing, "Mom said I should bring this to you," sending him the message that she is not doing this voluntarily as a peace offering. It's enough to break the ice though - Graham confronts her about the tickets and being honest with him and then they start talking about music.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Oct 14th 2006, 7:58 pm

I always liked the scene in Dancing In the Dark, where Graham heats up the spaghetti for Angela. The father daughter moment they have eating together. One of the things that made the show so good, and so real, was the scenes with the Chase's being a family. They were so well done.

Steve

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 15th 2006, 11:40 am

you are always so observant Candygirl! you make some really interesting points. it's funny because the food element had a very subconscious effect on how I viewed the characters' emotions. it's more obvious with some characters like Graham, but holds true for everyone, really.

and good observation to stburr91 for pointing out how Brian never ate. poor Brian, seems he's always missing out!

ah, the depth of MSCL....someone is always noticing something new

coco-chanel
Frozen Embryo

Post by coco-chanel » Dec 17th 2006, 1:32 pm

um yea 1st of all your wrong brian does eat, in the episode Life Of Brian @ lunch after rickie tells angela hes going to the dance w. that guy & rayanne. Angela walks up to brian and delia who are "EATING" there lunch, seriously hes like eating u can tell. Than she says she needs to talk to him. So u ur like wrong. :roll:
-ur welcome.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 7th 2007, 4:39 am

Good memory with the LoB scene - I'd have to break out my dvd's to see if he's actually eating on screen, but wow, there are nicer ways to contradict people I think. Welcome to the forum Coco, you'll find there's no reason to attack people.
emmie wrote:you are always so observant Candygirl! you make some really interesting points. ah, the depth of MSCL....someone is always noticing something new
I second that.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Abbaloushka
Tino

Re: Brian never eats in the series!

Post by Abbaloushka » Jan 10th 2008, 12:40 pm

I got the DVD set for Christmas (okay.. I bought it for myself!) and I just watched LoB last night. And he does take a bite of something (a sandwich? a burrito?). So, does he finally eat something because he's at last happy? It's right after he's agreed to go to the dance with Delia, and they are smiling/talking/eating together. I do think it's the one time he eats; is it the one time in 19 episodes we see Brian actually enjoying himself? How sad.

When Brian tells Angela "Not with you" it just breaks my heart.
I mean, that, uh, poem? That oak tree poem? That was yesterday. What are you going to write today?

sallyxi

Post by sallyxi » Apr 23rd 2008, 9:24 am

Oh,you guys still remember this DVD,a long time ago series.

TheAJSite
Frozen Embryo

Post by TheAJSite » May 7th 2008, 9:05 pm

well Brian would deserve a 7 course meal anytime

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Re: Daria

Post by His_Girl_Red » May 14th 2008, 3:02 pm

I'm SO with you about Daria being on DVD. The movies are fine, but I want the show!!!

It makes me sad that lame-ol' New York can have her crappy reality show on DVD and an awesome show like Daria is ignored. Then I remember that it took them like 10 years to release Beavis and Butthead on DVD.

We should protest!
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."