angelas mom

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
iheartjordan
Frozen Embryo

angelas mom

Post by iheartjordan » Aug 6th 2005, 12:43 am

who else hates angelas mom/ i think that shes so annoying and is always getting in other peoples buisness. like when tayanne was singing for frozen embryoes and she ran off and ricky called and then patty took the phone from angela. and then she went to rayannes house! and accused her mom of being crap.

Kryzbn1
Tino

Post by Kryzbn1 » Aug 7th 2005, 1:09 pm

Il
Last edited by Kryzbn1 on Jun 9th 2008, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaye
Tino

Post by Jaye » Dec 19th 2005, 3:03 pm

Patty seems like she has a lemon up her behind from the pilot episode until several proceeding after. I thought it was strange that Patty had her hair cut almost right after Angela had her hair dyed. Is this symbolic??? Patty seemed to become more liberal as time went by which I find quite unrealistic because she was just too up-tight at the beginning. She goes from getting upset when Ricky is holding Rayanne's beer in her house to getting smashed on her weekend at the lodge with Graham, Neil and Neil's fling. She is quite a hypocrite especially after her wild life when she had slept with several men before meeting Graham (which you would never imagine after seeing what she was like in the "Pilot") and dating the infamous Tony Poole. I can't believe this woman was once popular with over 900 friends...they even, apparently, cancelled the date of the prom because SHE was getting an appendectomy! :shock: Who else finds this hard to believe???

CharlieCharlie
Frozen Embryo

Post by CharlieCharlie » Dec 20th 2005, 4:12 pm

come on guys, Patty and Graham are the coolest on the whole show! Patty simply tries to be a good mother and wants to share most time possible with her daughter. And her relationship with Graham is so sweet. She tries to be involved into Angelas life and she sees how even the young Danielle has a tendency into Angelas direction!

And she has a very special relationship to angelas friends. somehow she really starts liking Rayanne, when she drives her to school that morning. Or in "So-called Angels", where she cares so mich for Rickie. In "Resolutions" he even stays at the Chase´s! That´s pretty generous, compared to the pilot!
I'm a terrible, terrible person

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 9th 2006, 7:05 pm

I think that Patty is a very strong woman. She seems like a typical mom to me - she's having trouble with the fact that her children are growing up and seperating from her. She's a good mother - just a little tightly wound and overwhelmed by her life I think.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jan 13th 2006, 2:31 am

To me Patty makes sense but I suppose I've inferred the subtext. I think that Patty wasn't always uptight. In the pilot Patty's marriage is already in trouble and she knows it. She says to Graham "and you go shoot pool with your brother or wherever it isyou're going." (it might not be exact). I think Patty has been stressed out and focused on her marital problems which at the time were following her to work. She was tense and it was taking her over. Suddenly Angela was going through major changes and Patt was redirected toward Angela. Her relationship with Graham didn't take up as much of her life anymore (though obviously was still very important). As Patty focused more on Angela and was pulled into her life she was able to explore more of herself and stop being so tense about Graham, at least some of the time

AniAnnika
Jody Barsh

Post by AniAnnika » Jan 15th 2006, 10:29 pm

Although I agree that Patty wasn't always so uptight, I think that was more like when she was in high school and college...she always speaks of her the wild things she did back then, and about her carefree spirit. I think having a family just calmed her down...she saw her past as simply something she did and now it was time to be sensible.
I disagree, though, that her focus in MSCL changes from being more of Graham to more on Angela. Her relationship with Angela was never all that good (in "Father Figures" she states to Graham, "She adores you. I've got dibs on her silent contempt." and Angela says she states she used to be close to Graham, but never mentions Patty.
Also, just from the way the show is framed, I think the problems between Graham and Patty only began to surface in the last year or two. I feel like she gets more and more insecure about her relationship with Graham as the series goes on...although you're right, there is relief at times.
I definitely don't hate Patty, although some of the things she does are certainly inappropriate. She's definitely not a person I would want to be like, but I understand where all of her insecurities come from, and many of them are valid. Mostly I feel bad for her because I think she feels like the things she should change (like her condescending tone towards Graham about his "abilities" or "inabilities") are such a part of her, that she'd be almost changing her personality. It is always difficult to deal when someone points out that you have a flaw in your character...
Just my view =)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 16th 2006, 11:52 am

AniAnnika wrote:I disagree, though, that her focus in MSCL changes from being more of Graham to more on Angela. Her relationship with Angela was never all that good (in "Father Figures" she states to Graham, "She adores you. I've got dibs on her silent contempt." and Angela says she states she used to be close to Graham, but never mentions Patty.
I think that when Patty says "She adores you. And I've got dibs on her silent contempt," Patty is just being sarcastic about Angela's behavior towards both of them. And that doesn't necessarily mean that Angela & Patty have always had a bad relationship. Before her teenage years Angela was probably fine with Patty. Angela really does treat her parents pretty poorly during the series - as teenage girls sometimes tend to.

And as for Angela saying she used to be tight with her dad and not mentioning her relationship as a child with Patty - I think that Patty and Graham fell into the (fairly common, I think) roles of "mom is the boss, dad is the playmate." That was sort of how it was when I was growing up. My dad and I had "our day" where we would go on a bike ride, play golf, see a movie - do something together just the two of us. I didn't have that with my mom. But of course my mom wasn't ever as uptight as Patty was, and not that my mom and I didn't have our own bonding time - we did. BUT - another thing is that Angela is the oldest of two. Probably when Danielle was born, Patty devoted a lot of her time to the new baby while Angela and Graham bonded. That also happened in my family when my little brother was born - I hooked onto my dad. That could have been the beginning of Angela's "tight" phase with Graham.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Mar 7th 2006, 2:39 pm

One thing that's so great about MSCL is that it shows the parents as real people and not caricatures. ALthough Patti often acts like a stereotypical mother in the way she reacts to things, at least you get an impression of the dilemma's going through her head. It's the first thing I've seen that really made me terrified of being the mother of a teenage girl. :)