are there a lot of male fans of MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: are there a lot of male fans of MSCL?

Post by Mutajon » Jun 16th 2011, 10:05 am

Welcome to the forums...

First, I'll quote a part from the DVD interview:
ABC network (to Winnie):"oh, you don't understand, only teenage girls are watching the show."
Winnie (not back to the network):"First of all that wasn't actually the case 'cause a lot of those teenage girls were 30 year old men"

I can relate. I'm 28 male and just discovered the show a couple of months ago and fell in love with it.
I think that if you'll take random groups of teenagers and have them watch the show for the first time then yeah, the females (on average) will likely be more interested in and become fans of the show. But that has a lot to do with the fact that teenage males tend to be emotionally underdeveloped, more so than teenage females at least (a thing quit a few males carry with them into adulthood :roll: )...

Later on in life I think the same hypothetical "experiment" will yield less decisive results (although females are still likely to be more attracted to it).
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

Doctor Strange
Frozen Embryo

Post by Doctor Strange » Aug 25th 2011, 8:16 am

It's not about what glands you happen to have: you only need to be appreciative of outstandingly true drama to relate to MS-CL!

I am a 56-year-old male and totally love the show. I watched it, awestruck, during its original airing, when I was in my thirties. (I had been a big fan of thirtysomething, and have enjoyed every subsequent Zwick/Hershkovitz project.)

I just rewatched the entire series for the first time with my 18-year-old daughter, and we both loved it. I knew it was great back in the 90s, but I'm very, very impressed with how well it's held up. Apart from the lack of cell phones (and the Internet, plus the dated trendy music and clothes), it's still amazingly accurate on the confusion of the teenage experience - and life in general.

BTW, my college-senior son also loved it... He's gay, so maybe he's a bit more open to the show's main theme - the quest for self-definition - than most guys his age. (Of course, he's also just got excellent taste.)

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Sep 20th 2011, 7:04 am

I'm re-watching the show with my dad and my brother. Not sure that my brother really LOVES it, but my dad has told me that it's one of the best shows that he has EVER seen, and he has a fair number of shows that he likes. I have the DVDs and he's always looking forward to the next episodes; we usually watch two at a time. So yes, there are some male fans of the show. :-)

JasonM
Tino

Post by JasonM » Oct 21st 2011, 8:35 pm

I don't know if there are "a lot" of male fans, but I'm male (in case my screen name didn't give that away!)

I was 23 when the series premiered, I watched the Pilot and I was hooked.

I would guess most fans of the show are girls & women, but I'd guess there are many dudes who would call themselves fans.

My wife had never seen the show, I asked her if she would watch it with me when we got the dvd. Now she's a fan!

fapolito
Frozen Embryo

Post by fapolito » Oct 23rd 2011, 2:57 pm

Like one of the other posters, I was in my early 20s (24 to be exact) when MSCL first aired. I loved it then, and now that I am re-watching via Hulu, I love it even MORE.

Being gay might also be a reason I can "connect" to the shows themes... But maybe not. I'm also a writer and I marvel at the dialogue. All the "likes" and "you knows" and "I means" really give the characters a "real" quality. (Back in the day, I had no idea who Winnie Holzman was. I also still haven't seen WICKED -- and I live in NYC. Too bad tickets cost a fortune!)

Watching now at 41 makes me a little depressed since I am OLDER than Angela's parents! However, I still identify more with Angela and her friends... What does that say about me?

I also appreciate the fact that in 1994 there were no cell phones and laptops to occupy people's attention. Watching Jordan "leaning," alone with his thoughts is a wonderful sight to behold. It wouldn't be the same if he were busy texting!
Frank Anthony Polito
author of LOST IN THE '90s
www.frankanthonypolito.com

Taricco
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Taricco » Oct 4th 2017, 4:56 pm

Here is one. I f... love this show! I even remember back in 1995 that I watched some episodes with my Cousin because she loved the show. I forgot about it for many years.

It is in my TOP 4 shows of all time, next to "Lost", "Breaking Bad" and "Party of Five". I don't have a fiths show for a TOP 5 right now :)

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Nov 7th 2017, 1:59 pm

I was in my early 20's when I first saw MSCL. I actually missed the ABC days - I caught it on MTV. I thought the dialogue was excellent, too, but even more than that, I loved how difference scenes could perfectly capture an emotion. Awkwardness, the pressure to fit in, having a hopeless crush, etc. . .in my mind, no other show did such a good job with this. So well made!

seanjones
Tino

Post by seanjones » Aug 27th 2018, 2:58 pm

I'm male and used to discuss MSCL with other males sometimes on the old imdb boards. Shame they shut that down. Dont know any male fans in real lfe.

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Feb 7th 2019, 9:11 pm

I’m sure ABC had some data on this. As it turned out, not enough men or women watched the show! I surmise that it appealed to men and women fairly equally, but that’s not a scientific conclusion.