I'm an elitist snob!

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
chosephine
Jody Barsh

I'm an elitist snob!

Post by chosephine » Jan 29th 2002, 1:37 am

Maybe this sounds horrible, but I'm sort of glad that MSCL wasn't that popular-that way being a fan makes you feel like you are part of some exclusive club. I've always been like this, though- I liked Nirvana until it got to the point where it wasn't possible to turn on the radio without hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit." And I thought that Josh Hartnett was extremely attractive (after watching The Faculty and Virgin Suicides) until he showed up on the cover of every magazine and millions of prepubescent girls started drooling over him. Now I find him kind of repulsive.

I was in college when MSCL first started airing, and while everyone else was watching Melrose Place or Friends, I was wrapped up in this stunningly beautiful and unique little show. I tried to explain to people why it was so great, but noone could understand. I even dressed up like Rayanne for Halloween that year, and nobody knew who I was- I loved that!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad that MSCL didn't become some huge pop culture phenomenon because I probably would have ended up hating it and would have missed out on an amazing show. I know it sucks as far as trying to get a DVD box set released and all that, but I still love feeling like I have a great secret, or that I know the punchline to some inside joke- and if that makes me a snob, I don't care!

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: I'm an elitist snob!

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 29th 2002, 4:12 am

Well, I don't think those who discovered the beauty of MSCL are necessarily snobs, chosephine. We're just more of an intelligent audience, who don't go for the usual run-of-the-mill sitcoms or soaps. Granted, shows like those can sometimes be fun to watch, but what really made MSCL stand out was it's strong writing, great character development, the way it dealt with real-life issues, etc. It's too bad that more people didn't discover what a great show MSCL was, but had they done so, then perhaps the networks would have tried to water down the show to continue to draw in a mass audience.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 2nd 2002, 7:54 pm

I agree with both of you! While we are all (obviously) an intelligent lot enjoying a deep show such as this, when you meet someone that loves (or loved) MSCL it makes you feel like the two of you know something that other people don't.....like other people are not as deep as us oh-so-wise lifers...and that they didn't experience their so-called teenage years. When I was 15 my best friend and I used to call each other every Wednesday evening after each episode of MSCL to discuss the weekly happenings....after 'that scene' in the corridor with Jordan and Angela my mate was on the phone to me before the credits had finished rolling; however, my point is that while I am still a die-hard life and regularly watch my run of 19 episodes and listen to MSCL related cd's, and chat on the website and send e-postcards from this site to my old friend, she wonders what the hell I am going on about!.....she doesn't have such the strong memories of MSCL that I do....although I think at the time, I could relate to it more and proabably still do. Anyway - call it elitist snobbery or whatever but I am glad we are all still here discussing such a cool, life-changing show!!!!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 4th 2002, 1:28 pm

I really think that MSCL was ahead of its time. It has already had a huge influence on other television shows. Many other shows have borrowed from MSCL in some way or another. I think among the more creative people involved in television, MSCL obviously has influenced them. It set a standard for quality --- and while the bottom line is always how big of an audience a show can attract, that hasn't stopped numerous writers and producers from borrowing heavily from one or more aspects of this show.

One thing that I think has yet to take off, but will eventually some day: portraying teenage characters by actors of about the same age. MSCL and "Freaks and geaks" are the only two shows to do this, and both died after one season. But eventually, I think this will become more acceptable. It will prove to be another way in whcih MSCL was ahead of its time.