hypothetical movie question

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
mia
Yearbook Team

hypothetical movie question

Post by mia » Mar 31st 2000, 5:42 pm

Ok. So, if they were to decide today to make a MSCL movie, and they were, like, forbidden from using anyone in the original cast, who should they cast? Truthfully, I would suggest scrapping the project, but say they were, like, forced to do it.

Some of my oppinions:

Angela Chase (age 15): That Girl from that AT&T commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are e-mailing each other late at night

Rayanne Graff: They'd probably go with Katie Holmes.

Jordan Catalano: Leo DiCaprio might be able to pull it off.

Well, coming up with a Jordan that isn't Jared Leto has made my head hurt, so I'll just sit back and see if anyone else has any oppinions. :-)

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: hypothetical movie question

Post by angelika » Mar 31st 2000, 5:57 pm

I met a girl on the internet one time who told me that she had purple hair, so she sent me a picture of it. She looked JUST LIKE Claire Danes. I think we should cast her. It was uncanny. Just thought I'd add that. :-) Good idea, Mia. I've thought about this a lot before. I'm interested to see what people come up with. I have this feeling that Jack and Patrick will come up with some really good ones. :-)

~angelika~

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2000, 7:56 pm

Soma again...too lazy regarding the password... ;)

The girl from the AT&T commercials was Larisa Oleynik (aka Alex Mack and the daughter who wanted to date on "10 Things I Hate About You"). I don't know how I know that, but I do.

Angela Chase: myself. Ok, ok....um...Winona Ryder

Jordan Catalano: Christian Bale

Brian Krakow: Ethan Embry (too happy?), Giovanni Ribisi (too studly?), or Seth Rogen

Rayanne Graff: Kirsten Dunst

Sharon Cherski: Jenna Elfman (at a younger, shorter age)

Patty Chase: Susan Sarandon

An odd ensemble, but I think they could pull it off. The people I left out I couldn't come up with.

Post by Guest » Apr 1st 2000, 1:00 am

What about, if (and it's even more unlikely) they were able to pull the entire original cast and directors etc. together, should they make a re-union movie??

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Apr 1st 2000, 2:34 am

I would LOVE to see a reunion movie--under certain circumstances, though. For instance, have you guys seen the finale of Seinfeld? I HATED it. Because it was the last episode, they did something different with the show, and it just wasn't "Seinfeld-esque." If they made a reunion movie for MSCL, it would definitely have to be done by the same writers, directors, and cast. And they would have to stick with the MSCL style. I haven't read the newest Catherine Clark MSCL novel, but I heard that she changed a lot of things, such as Rayanne dating Brian Krakow. (???) I could be completely wrong, but wouldn't it be awful if they did something drastic like that? I can see the movie turning out one of two ways: completely AWESOME, and bringing back all of those wonderful MSCL characters and situations--very nostalgic. OR--I could see them trying to tie up a lot of loose ends (such as the question of who Angela will end up with--Brian or Jordan.) It could really be weird, if they tried to do too much with it. Perhaps I don't ever WANT to know the answers to those things... but it would be nice to see the people that we've come to know and love, back together for a final episode. What if??

Sorry to subject you all to my incoherent rambling... I get carried away. :-)
~angelika~

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Apr 1st 2000, 12:18 pm

NO, in the book Brian wasn't dating Rayanne- he slept with Rayanne's mom! The book utterly and totally sucked. But enough about that.

I think it would be kinda cool if they did a reunion movie with all the original cast and everything, only all grown up, and they had them reminiscing about everything that happened in high school. Only, I think it would be kinda funny (and pretty challenging) if they showed the older people in such a way that you couldn't tell what happened after the show ended. You know, like you wouldn't be able to tell if Angela married Jordan or if Rayanne and Angela ever made up. I think it would be funny (in a frustrating sort of way) and it would spark the imaginations of people like us! =)

OK, so for my choices if they COULDN'T use the originals...hmmm...this is hard...

Angela- I would have to go with Winona Ryder too, simply because I can't come up with anything better.
Brian- Ben Savage
Jordan- OK, I liked the Christian Bale idea, but I think I thought of someone that fits that whole brown hair, blue eyed pretty boy thing better- James Marsden
Rayanne- Julia Stiles
Sharon- Charisma Carpenter
Graham- Dennis Quaid

That's all I can come up with and some of those might be pushing it...I am particularly fond of James Marsden though...

Tracey

Everybody answer this one!!!!! I'm really curious to see what everyone says!

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Apr 1st 2000, 2:38 pm

OK, OK, I'm replying to my own post. Get over it. :-)

Graham - Kevin Spacey.

Yes, it is just because I adore him and think he should be in every movie ever made. Ta.

Post by Guest » Apr 3rd 2000, 4:43 pm

Ooooo, Julia Stiles would make an AWESOME Rayanne. Good pick! :)

-soma

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Apr 3rd 2000, 7:07 pm

okay, maybe it's a silly question, but who is julia stiles? Can you tell me some movies or shows she's been in? I'm SO not good with names. :-)

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Apr 3rd 2000, 8:27 pm

Wow --- I have no idea who any of these people are
you guys are talking about --- That shows my age,
I guess. I think Colin Hanks (Tom Hanks' son) of
Roswell would make an interesting Brian Krakow (not
like the original Brian, but sort of a "kinder, gentler"
Brian). I don't know enough teen actors to make any
other suggestions, although I would vote for teens and
not "adults playing teens".

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Apr 3rd 2000, 9:13 pm

Julia Stiles was in "The 60's" mini-series that was on NBC a few years ago, if you remember it. She's also in "10 Things I Hate About You". She's the older sister, I'm not sure of her name, Kat maybe? That's really all I know of.

Actually, I think Kevin Spacey would make a good Graham...as of now I can't think of anyone else. Susan Sarandon might be good for Patty but she's looking kind of older, if that would matter. I think Winona Ryder might be good, but I think she's really too old to play a 15-year-old, since I'm thinking not really of a reunion, but more of continuation. Jordan...hmmm, hard to think of replacing him! This probably sounds really odd and maybe he's too old too, but Johnny Depp...he's had long hair like that, and he's kind of mysterious. I saw this girl at this volleyball thing once, she reminded me of Claire Danes...anyways I can't think of anything.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Apr 3rd 2000, 10:25 pm

Oh, thank god somebody else doesn't know any of these young actors/actresses. I'm
dumbfounded (well, just plain dumb, too). I can't think of any good examples, maybe
Toby Mcguire (I don't know if that's spelled right) as Brian Krakow. He plays a good smart
kid that's a little clueless or eccentric as seen in Pleasantville and Wonder Boys.
Kevin Spacey is a good choice, maybe Katy Holmes too. The problem is a lot of these
celebrities or way too famous. The charm of MSCL is that most all of the cast (at that
time) were unknown so the suspension of disbelief worked perfectly. It was easy to really,
absolutely believe that Claire Danes was Angela, Jared leto was Jordan, and so on.

What I think would be interesting would be to do a five-year high school reunion
TV movie. Theoretically, they were Sophomores in the 94/95 school year. The
actual year is clearly mentioned in "Resolutions" where Patty complains she keeps
writing 1994 on her checks instead of 1995. That would mean that they would all be
graduating (except maybe Jordan who most likely would've dropped out) in 1997.
So in the year 2002, they could have a reunion. Being one who's been out of
high school since dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I can tell you that not much really
changes in ones life five years after high school. The ten-year reunion would be
much more interesting and show considerably more change, but who wants to
wait until 2007 for the TV movie.

Now, I truly believe most of the cast would be available for this, and it's not farfetched
at all. The Waltons have done a ton of these "post-series" movies with Richard Thomas
in most but not all. The rest of the original cast was present. The Brady Bunch have
also done several of these TV movies. So I think it would be possible to do this with
the original cast except, and this of course would kill the project, Claire Danes and
Jared Leto. They are getting way too much feature film work. And to boot, Claire Danes
has obviously distanced herself from MSCL. I think without them, the movie would
be somewhat empty. So, Claire and Jared, if your out there and you read this, please
consider coming down from the mountain of theatrical filmmaking for a brief moment
to recreate those characters we've all come to know and love. If not for the money
(which would be a pitance compared to your present paychecks), if not for quality
television (which we're always in short supply of), if not for your fans, who've enjoyed
nineteen hours of remarkably intelligent, challenging, and thought-provoking entertainment,
as well as countless hours of discussion and analysis with other fans, then do it
for Winnie Holzman (who I believe would be up for the challenge of writing the
five-year high school reunion movie). Do it for her. After all, she was instrumental in
launching both your careers and placing you in a series, Claire, for which you won
a Golden Globe Award. Do it for Winnie.

Jack

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Apr 3rd 2000, 11:07 pm

the mention of Kevin Spacey gave me an idea. if the cast absolutely had to be filled with other actors and actresses, why not just the entire cast of American Beauty. okay, so they were already in a movie together, but this is a hypothetical question afterall. it's a bit of a stretch, but the characters aren't all that far off. anyway, just a thought. :)

emmie

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Apr 3rd 2000, 11:42 pm

Julia Stiles is also in that new movie "Down to You" with Freddie Prinze, Jr.

Just for everyone's information, I'll go through my list and tell you guys who everyone I named was (Patrick, Jack- this is for you two! =) ).
Ben Savage- Fred Savage's (of the Wonder Years) little brother- he's in that show Boy Meets World
Christian Bale- in movies like Little Women (played Laurie), Newsies, Swing Kids and the upcoming American Psycho
James Marsden- he's in the movie Disturbing Behavior and he was in that short-lived TV series Second Noah (did any of you guys see that- I liked that show)...he hasn't really been in that much besides some TV movies, but he's really good- he's gonna be in a movie called Gossip that's coming out soon and also the X-Men movie
Charisma Carpenter- plays Cordelia on Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
I hope you guys know who Dennis Quaid is =)

Well, French homework calls, so I must be off!

Tracey

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Apr 4th 2000, 12:03 pm

Oh my, you're right! Not that they'd play their characters from American Beauty, but I could see all of those actors in a MSCL movie! We'd just be missing a few key players. Would Mena Suvari play Rayanne or Sharon? I think she could pull off either character.