10 years "My So-Called Life"

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
sarahr_81
Overlooked Sibling

Post by sarahr_81 » Sep 10th 2004, 3:34 pm

i cant believe its been a decade since my so-called life, i loved, correction love the show, its still one of my favourites, i wish it had been on the air longer.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 10th 2004, 11:31 pm

I enjoyed the script. I had some thoughts:
Angela stares off into space, surrounded by OTHER YEARBOOR STAFFERS who industriously cut and paste, including SAN SLAWSEN, her oldest friend.
San Slawsen?? Is that just a major typo?
GRAHAM: Nobody in this entire house turns a light off but me. I mean, why , that? Is it a female thing?

PATTY: Yes Graham. It's a conspiracy. We're all in an it. Me, the girls. Madonna.
That was a funny line.
BRIAN: Because the human brain functions on electrical impulses.

SCIENCE TEACHER: And what do we call those impulses...?

All turn like clockwork to Brian...even the teacher. BEAT.

BRIÄN: Hey, I DON'T KNOW! OKAY?! HAPPY?!
Early signs of the pressue Brian put on himself. Although I can't actually picture this happening in the show.
INT. TINO'S LIVING ROOM -- NIGHT

KIDS, Rayanne, Angela and Jordan among them, sprawled around goofing,-drinking, the T.V. on. Clumps of kids OPTICALLY BEGIN TO VANISH until...
This whole scene was confusing. Was it a fantasy? The dialogue was the same, but it felt very different than the finished product.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 11th 2004, 5:07 am

dTheater wrote:I enjoyed the script. I had some thoughts:
Angela stares off into space, surrounded by OTHER YEARBOOR STAFFERS who industriously cut and paste, including SAN SLAWSEN, her oldest friend.
San Slawsen?? Is that just a major typo?
Yeah, big OCR-error. It's supposed to read SHARON SLAWSEN.
dTheater wrote:
INT. TINO'S LIVING ROOM -- NIGHT

KIDS, Rayanne, Angela and Jordan among them, sprawled around goofing,-drinking, the T.V. on. Clumps of kids OPTICALLY BEGIN TO VANISH until...

This whole scene was confusing. Was it a fantasy? The dialogue was the same, but it felt very different than the finished product.
I don't think it was a fantasy - the part with "OPTICALLY BEGIN TO VANISH" probably means that there was something else going on in another room (or something like that) and all kids just left the living room or at least the area where Angela and Jordan were. Maybe Winnie imagined some time-speed-up SFX here. Though it seems very unlikely that for some reason all kids suddenly disappear from the room. And it wasn't just her imagination - the kids were really gone IMHO. I guess the writers had the same objections, but Angela and Jordan had to be alone for this scene to work. That's probably why they added that whole "Angela falls in mud and searches for a bathroom" scene to find a way to get Angela and Jordan alone together.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 11th 2004, 1:46 pm

"Optically vanish" makes me think of the scene in American Beauty where Lester imagines all the cheerleaders disappearing except Angela.

So where did you find that script anyway, Sascha? That was some nice bit of history.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 11th 2004, 3:51 pm

dTheater wrote:So where did you find that script anyway, Sascha? That was some nice bit of history.
I bought it a few years ago on ebay.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 11th 2004, 4:19 pm

I took the "optical vanish" directions to mean that there would be short time lapses in the scene -- we see a bunch of kids in the room and then cut, it's the same exact frame but less people, the scene continues for a moment, and then cut again, the same exact frame but even less people, a few more moments, and then cut again, same frame, less people. This might happen a few times until it leaves only Jordan and Anglea in the frame. It's a cool idea, but I ldon't like the idea that Tino's party is kids sitting around watching TV.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

pgh kenny
Angelica

Re: A blast from the past: The Kory Lasker Website

Post by pgh kenny » Apr 10th 2005, 2:58 am

Sseeing this old website (which I remember in it original form) really makes me heart sick. Back in the day, mscl was so important to me...

Sascha (sab) wrote:Image

And to bring you even more of that "1994 feeling", I resurrected a very special website: Some of you "oldbies" may remember the very first "My So Called Life" internet homepage by Kory Lasker -- http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/g564/lask0008 was the URL of the home for all MSCL fans long before mscl.com came along. Unfortunately, the site disappeared from the web when Kory finished his studies at the University of Minnesota in 1998. You have now the chance to go back in time and visit an almost complete copy of the 1998 version of Kory's website which I downloaded in May 1998 here.

Note: I'm doing this without any authorisation by Kory (I haven't had contact with Kory for many, many years) - so the site won't be online forever to avoid trouble. But for now, enjoy the "blast from the past" ;-)
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 5th 2021, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usedbutterfly
Frozen Embryo

the show ..

Post by usedbutterfly » Apr 11th 2005, 7:24 pm

Okay, so i'm new on this forum. I had NO idea that they actually had a forum for "My So Called Life" .. i LOVE this show! .. I just started watching it this summer/ 04 and i LOVED it ! Usually older shows aren't this good. It still plays on family and I watch it every night at 11:00pm. They're all repeats but ah well .. lol, it's great to see others sharing the same interests.
you answer all my questions with things that scream depression, locked up in pessimism, get me out of this life.

PolishMan
Frozen Embryo

Post by PolishMan » Feb 2nd 2006, 9:14 am

really?
Living in fun